Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/girls, I'm new to the sight and wondering if anyone can give me the real deal on breaking-in a new bike. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
753 Posts
:welcome:
You'll have to follow your heart on this one, but just for info there're about three currents:
_ Follow the break-in period as per the user manual.
_ Ride it as you usually ride, as if there's no necessary break-in.
_ Ride it as if you stole it.

I'm sure this won't help you much, and you'll have to choose the preferable break-in style for yourself.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I always heard break in was mainly for the rider's benefit (don't try anything aggressive until you've ridden a few thousands soft miles).

Friend is a riding fend & gets at least one new bike a year. He swears in changing the oil twice inside the first 500 miles. He also has his bikes delivered, so that he can redo the setup of the bike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I plus one onerad10

It makes lot sense from guy that has built and rebuilt over 200 engines...

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I would personally recommend do a oil change right away and its not true engine oil that comes with a new bike its storage oil. Use w/e you want then ride it however you want. I have been told this by the service manager at my local kawi dealer and this was after my break-in. Honestly if you can ride it per the manual you have wicked self control. I could how live with it until 500 kms then I just fucken gave it to her every once in a while. Main issue to is to vary the load.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
i rode it softly but then there were times that i hit the rev limiter! ride the bike like how you are going to ride it normally!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
In the first 1000mi; keep temps in the normal range, keep the revs in the manufacterers recomendations, avoid light loads and don't grunt it with too low rpm heavy throttle. Normal riding with varying rpms, upshifting & downshifting. Oil & filter changes per manufacteres recomendations

·
Registered
373 Posts
depends if you plan on keeping the bike.

if you are going to change in a couple of years, then just run it how you like.
if you are going to keep it for a long time, do as he says :iamwithst but maybe only up to 500mile

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You should use the search function if you get time. I know this has been discussed here before and may have even been an old poll on it.

First couple posts some it up though as it's a very big "argument" over the right way.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You should use the search function if you get time. I know this has been discussed here before and may have even been an old poll on it.
Did a search on "factory break in" and found 10 pages of results.

Here are a few.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1500&highlight=factory+break

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72290&highlight=factory+break

And even one with a poll... http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60559&highlight=factory+break

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
I’ve read this before and I’m not sure how I feel about it. Notice that the article fails to explain why Kawasaki or any other manufacturer still calls for a break in procedure. I think I’ll keep my faith that KHI knows something that this person does not.
The reason is this:
the manufacture has an obligation to it customers and shareholders, That obligation is 1st and foremost safety, how many people can truly take a bike up to red line in any gear on the street? A it’s illegal and B it’s dangers! So they must promote the safest method they can! I.e. an easy break in! This way they keep there liability risk factors in a minimum! This keep shareholders happy and there customers alive to buy more products! It fall down to safety and the promotion of safety! I have never broken in a bike the manufactures way! Because it is the wrong way to properly seat rings and seals it will cause glazing of the cylinder walls and you will need to hone them out to do it right!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
:welcome:
You'll have to follow your heart on this one, but just for info there're about three currents:
_ Follow the break-in period as per the user manual.
_ Ride it as you usually ride, as if there's no necessary break-in.
_ Ride it as if you stole it.

I'm sure this won't help you much, and you'll have to choose the preferable break-in style for yourself.
:cool:
I have done at least a two dozen of brand new bikes the "ride it as if you stole it" and my body of long time friendship the "follow the owners manual" way of break-in. So far, I have not noticed any significant differences in the outcome.

·
Registered
195 Posts
what i have read is give the bike abounce of heat cycles.Then i ride them hard.As these new motors usually seat the rings in the first 50 miles.Then drop the oil, then again at 300 miles.I always drop the oil in the first 50 miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts