Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last set up i only got 1 hard full pass on and ran a 10.1 at 140 with a 1.89, had the forks dropped 2 inches in front, and stock air filter, was to busy to run again, so i ended up getting a k&n, raised the back up to stock, got a strap for it and went back last night. made 2 passes, both were almost the exact same.

9.77 at 141.89, 1.63 60ft

Mods on the bike= Slip on, K&N, 16/44 Sprockets, Clutch Springs, No Butterflies, 61 inch wb, Strap, Link in rear, 205lb rider non suited, and was on a 190/55/17 pilot power that was coming loose a little at the top of first.

Bike dynoed 143hp/72lbs....

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Atta boy!!! Congrats!! 1.5 area 60's ate pretty easy to accomplish with extensions. 1.4's are a feat to get especially with extensions and at your weight. Your doin good man!! You need to take your air filter out and get some good cool air and it'll run faster. I got stuck in the 1.5 60's for freakin ever!! But with practice and some good air 1.5's are very attainable.

That is some respectable times man. Keep it up!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont know about taking the air filter out, i know when we did it at school on a dyno it lost power, just like changing volicity stacks i have seen hurt and gain depending on the set up. on a stock bike i dont think the air filter will help me, but it was prob 50 degrees outside when i ran, so cold air is there, should be the same tomorrow night if not a lil colder, so traction becomes a issue, plus i am not in leathers so i am waiting for the kick out from the track.. we only got like 2 weeks left anyway.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
i dont know about taking the air filter out, i know when we did it at school on a dyno it lost power, just like changing volicity stacks i have seen hurt and gain depending on the set up. on a stock bike i dont think the air filter will help me, but it was prob 50 degrees outside when i ran, so cold air is there, should be the same tomorrow night if not a lil colder, so traction becomes a issue, plus i am not in leathers so i am waiting for the kick out from the track.. we only got like 2 weeks left anyway.
but you made it sound like HP doesn't matter in the first place you only got 143hp but did great times and made a point on this forum to point that out:)dontknow: BTW for a heavy guy very good time congrats :eek:ccasion1 )but now your saying your concerned about loosing HP which is it :dontknow::badteeth:

back to the dyno are you going 140mph+ ? at the same time bringing the things Kawi engineers do with creating great bikes for RAM air? :wink:

I think not :wink: I would trust bgmagma10 he has alot of tricks on making the ZX10R fast he is faster than both of us, he may not be as heavy as us but he does know how to get the best out of a 1st Gen 10R with little money to accomplish that..... just research his times. :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya, i know when i took out the air filter on my 09 at the track, i gained absolutly nothing from it.. i dont car about dyno #s i care about performance, it seemed to hurt my tq more than anything, just like a gp pipe killed tq bad on my 09. This bike i have yet to try it at the track, when i made my 143hp i didnt have my air filter in, i will be dynoing it next week again with the K&N to see what it does. The strech hurt it a lil on weight, but i went to a 520 from a 525, also got rid of steel sprockets and went with aluminum. Hoping for 145rwhp/74tq with this cold air here

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
ya, i know when i took out the air filter on my 09 at the track, i gained absolutly nothing from it.. i dont car about dyno #s i care about performance, it seemed to hurt my tq more than anything, just like a gp pipe killed tq bad on my 09. This bike i have yet to try it at the track, when i made my 143hp i didnt have my air filter in, i will be dynoing it next week again with the K&N to see what it does. The strech hurt it a lil on weight, but i went to a 520 from a 525, also got rid of steel sprockets and went with aluminum. Hoping for 145rwhp/74tq with this cold air here
Well your a little confusing talking about the dyno with air filter without this year that year I only make 143hp but do great times for my weight etc. etc....you do know it's a tuning tool the Dyno but that is simulated REAL World conditions the Drag Strip IS...again IS.... the REAL World so why not just try it in the REAL WORLD? I am willing to at least try it. :wink:

bloo

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
but you made it sound like HP doesn't matter in the first place you only got 143hp but did great times and made a point on this forum to point that out:)dontknow: BTW for a heavy guy very good time congrats :eek:ccasion1 )but now your saying your concerned about loosing HP which is it :dontknow::badteeth:

back to the dyno are you going 140mph+ ? at the same time bringing the things Kawi engineers do with creating great bikes for RAM air? :wink:

I think not :wink: I would trust bgmagma10 he has alot of tricks on making the ZX10R fast he is faster than both of us, he may not be as heavy as us but he does know how to get the best out of a 1st Gen 10R with little money to accomplish that..... just research his times. :wink:

Bloo
:eek:ccasion: thanks blue. I'm just speaking from what helped me. I started without a filter this year. Then I put my filter back in and lost almost 2 mph. It may not work for everyone. It just worked for me. Just tryin to help a brotha out! :lol: also just curious what temp is your bike when you get up to the line Slo? What rpm are you leavin at? My bike made the most power between 180-190 degrees but dropped off at about 200..

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i left between 7/8k rpm, no idea what i was shifting at, prob to high in the rpms for my bike, and bike was around 150/160 degrees when i was leaving the line, 50 degrees or so outside

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
i left between 7/8k rpm, no idea what i was shifting at, prob to high in the rpms for my bike, and bike was around 150/160 degrees when i was leaving the line, 50 degrees or so outside
I have found that there is a fine line between doin wheelies and bogging between 7500 and 8500 for me. It all depends on how your clutch hand works. I did a test last outing. Tried to leave between 7-7500 to get off my clutch faster and the tq just isn't there. I ended up Goin a 1.51 60 but it just didn't wanna pull to catch up to rpms. My best 60 to this day I left between 8-8500. But that high your gonna be fighting wheelies. Least I did anyway. I would much rather fight wheelies than it not wanna pull up to speed. Next time your out you should try it. And try letting your bike warm up more. It makes sense to me to a point. A warmer motor is a looser motor. Seems to make sense to me. But definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have found that there is a fine line between doin wheelies and bogging between 7500 and 8500 for me. It all depends on how your clutch hand works. I did a test last outing. Tried to leave between 7-7500 to get off my clutch faster and the tq just isn't there. I ended up Goin a 1.51 60 but it just didn't wanna pull to catch up to rpms. My best 60 to this day I left between 8-8500. But that high your gonna be fighting wheelies. Least I did anyway. I would much rather fight wheelies than it not wanna pull up to speed. Next time your out you should try it. And try letting your bike warm up more. It makes sense to me to a point. A warmer motor is a looser motor. Seems to make sense to me. But definitely worth a try.

A warmer engine is tighter engine.............. aka that's why you set a ring gap when you build the engine so it has room to close the gap:heyyou:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
A warmer engine is tighter engine.............. aka that's why you set a ring gap when you build the engine so it has room to close the gap:heyyou:
Ok but when things get hot do they not expand?? When oil gets hot does it not get thinner?? If a hot motor is a tighter motor then why do bikes make more power when they are hot as opposed to cold?? I understand the ring gap. But like I said. Things expand when they get hot. Kind of like pistons in cylinder walls. Makes sense.. :heyyou:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Ok but when things get hot do they not expand?? When oil gets hot does it not get thinner?? If a hot motor is a tighter motor then why do bikes make more power when they are hot as opposed to cold?? I understand the ring gap. But like I said. Things expand when they get hot. Kind of like pistons in cylinder walls. Makes sense.. :heyyou:

engine is suppose to be loose when cold, and when it comes up to it's operating temperatures pistons expands and you get more compression, which gives you more power. Oil does get thinner and that's why it takes less energy to drive oil pump= more power............etc.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i pulled a 9.68 at 142 with a 1.66 60ft last night at 170 degrees, 8500-9k rpm launch but when i launch that high i either spin or wheelie, but what would have been my best run i messed up a shift into 4th, did a 1.60 60ft, 6.25 1/8th, then i messed up and ran a 9.74 at 139. Will prob run it again thursday.. on the quest for 1.5 60fts and 9.5 sec 1/4th on a shitty 190/55 pilot power.. Next season comes full system, shinko hoook up, and a pc3 with custom tune and maybe no lift shift. People still wouldnt belive i made 143 hp all night

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice, next year i will have a pc3 on the bike, with the programmed shifter for me so i dont gotta shift under wot.. should help me even more. i wanna dyno my bike when ever your free, see where i stand with a/f ratio

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
nice, next year i will have a pc3 on the bike, with the programmed shifter for me so i dont gotta shift under wot.. should help me even more. i wanna dyno my bike when ever your free, see where i stand with a/f ratio
I will let you know, we might bring the dyno to the track:helmet:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts