Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i've had a look around and tried a search, but couldn't find anything to help.

I have a 2006 stock zx10r, no FI light on but have what i think is a misfire in 5th and 6th gear.

with a resting throttle in either 5th or 6th gear, the bike bogs/misfires, then suddenly lurches forward. Its fine in all other gears, not down on power etc

The plugs, oil, filters were all changed with genuine kwak parts last week, but it didn't help at all.

Any suggestions please?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
Why would you be getting a misfire only in those particular gears? Answer is: you likely wouldn't. At the same RPM and throttle opening in the other gears, it should respond the same way.

Sounds more like a fueling issue to me. Water in your gas, fuel filter clogged, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1) Check oil level to much is to bad or to little. Also the air filter make sure the breather pipes are free and not loose or the o2 sensor.

2) Start you're bike spray water on header pipes of the exhuast and see which one doesn't evaporate as quick as the others. If that is the case then at least you know which cylinder is miss firing if that is the case I.e coil pack, lead, spark plug, piston etc

3) Check the exhuast pipe can see blue smoke if so its a sign of no no. Does it smell rich that it makes you're eyes water (fuelling management)

4) Have a look at the fuel line see if it trapped or blogged up or even the throttle or cable it self.

All the above are cost free that you can do you're self.

5) Head valve clearance depending on millage. 15,000 miles for eu and 22,000 for us.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
1) Check oil level to much is to bad or to little. Also the air filter make sure the breather pipes are free and not loose or the o2 sensor.

2) Start you're bike spray water on header pipes of the exhuast and see which one doesn't evaporate as quick as the others. If that is the case then at least you know which cylinder is miss firing if that is the case I.e coil pack, lead, spark plug, piston etc

3) Check the exhuast pipe can see blue smoke if so its a sign of no no. Does it smell rich that it makes you're eyes water (fuelling management)

4) Have a look at the fuel line see if it trapped or blogged up or even the throttle or cable it self.

All the above are cost free that you can do you're self.

5) Head valve clearance depending on millage. 15,000 miles for eu and 22,000 for us.

Absolutely non of these suggestions would affect an intermittent timing issue experienced in only the upper gears.

Oil level was stated as just changed. And that won't make a motor run poorly in one or two specific gears

Checking the header with the water test won't gain you much if you're doing it at idle, in a garage, in neutral. Since the issue is happening in 5th and 6th gear, this won't provide much insight.

Looking at a fuel line visually won't do much either since you'll barely see into the ends of it. If there's a blockage midway, then you'll never see it.

All the things suggested are decent things to look for on a motor that is not healthy, but not much to be gained by this stuff given the symptoms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but all plugs have just been changed, but didn't solve the issue. Oil, filter and air filter were changed, but no joy.

It is definately only 5th and 6th gear.

The bike has full dealer service and valve clearances have been done recently. At 18k miles, it was fitted with new inlet and exhaust cams as they were found to be worn slightly.

There is no smoke at start up or idle and at idle, water burns off evenly on the header pipes.

I just won a voucher at a local bike shop, which all but pays for a power commander 5, so I'm hoping that may sort the problem, but think i'll have it plugged in at kawasaki first, just to see if anything comes up despite the lack of FI light.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I personally wouldn't be slapping a PC on there if the bike already isn't running right. If you want to tune the bike with the PC you really need a decently running bike to start with. Do you have any mods to speak of?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
I personally wouldn't be slapping a PC on there if the bike already isn't running right. If you want to tune the bike with the PC you really need a decently running bike to start with. Do you have any mods to speak of?

Yes, this. A Power commander is not going to fix the issue and will make it harder to troubleshoot. Don't do that until you got the problem fixed first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's booked in at kawasaki next week to have the fault diagnosed, then fixed.

PC will be fitted afterwards.

The bike is completely stock mechanically at the moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts