Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a new 2021 ZX10R this past weekend and have put a couple hundred miles on it now. First liter bike and I'm enjoying the upgrade from my Ninja 650. Been riding motorcycles since I was a kid, mostly dirt bikes however.

This is my first bike with a quickshifter/autoblipper and I'm very green as to how it works. I had a couple of questions regarding its function. This is the factory quickshifter, bike is 100% stock.

1) Will it damage the transmission if I use it when downshifting below 2500 rpms? The manual says it won't work correctly below that level but will it block the actual shift from happening if you don't use the clutch?

I was in traffic and using it at low RPMs and noticed the downshifts were very rough. I believe these shifts were around 2000 rpms from a quick glance but I wasn't watching it the whole time since I was paying attention to traffic.

2) Is the shifter designed to downshift from 2nd to 1st? I went to do that coming to a stop and it went into neutral.

Sorry for the cringe noob questions, just wanna make sure I'm not tearing up the dog ears on the transmission by being dumb.

EDIT: here's a pic of the bike

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Welcome to the party! That's a sweet ride you have there! And I'm happy that it's the green color so I don't have to ban you from this site! :alien::ROFLMAO:

OK, to answer your questions. First off, it's not an automatic transmission. So you need to think about it more as the true race bike you're riding. With that said, the quickshifter will only work if you are accelerating. Don't use it while cruising around. You need to be hard on the gas and bang an upshift for it to work in the higher RPM band. It's not for getting up to freeway speed and then deciding you should be in 6th gear from 4th so you just whack the pedal a couple of times. Throttle opened aggressively each time you quick the pedal.

Same goes for the autoblipper. Throttle has to be closed for the autoblipper to work. It will not work at all if the RPM is too low. The system turns off completely when the revs fall below 3,000 RPM. It's meant for downshifting quickly on a racetrack to go from 5th gear to 2nd gear at 10,000 PRM. Like the racers use it. It will work fine for all gears outside of that as long as it is higher than 3,000 RPM. But it will be jerky the lower you go. Get your downshifts done above 5,000 or use the clutch like the rest of riders do.

I also don't recommend the 1st to 2nd gear change in either direction. It's the longest gear change having to go through neutral. If it screws up there, the risks of damaging the transmission is higher. There's no real reason to use the system in those gears unless you're trying to set the lap record at the track. On the street, don't be lazy and and work out those hands muscles more. Remember, it's not an automatic transmission!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the party! That's a sweet ride you have there! And I'm happy that it's the green color so I don't have to ban you from this site! :alien::ROFLMAO:

OK, to answer your questions. First off, it's not an automatic transmission. So you need to think about it more as the true race bike you're riding. With that said, the quickshifter will only work if you are accelerating. Don't use it while cruising around. You need to be hard on the gas and bang an upshift for it to work in the higher RPM band. It's not for getting up to freeway speed and then deciding you should be in 6th gear from 4th so you just whack the pedal a couple of times. Throttle opened aggressively each time you quick the pedal.

Same goes for the autoblipper. Throttle has to be closed for the autoblipper to work. It will not work at all if the RPM is too low. The system turns off completely when the revs fall below 3,000 RPM. It's meant for downshifting quickly on a racetrack to go from 5th gear to 2nd gear at 10,000 PRM. Like the racers use it. It will work fine for all gears outside of that as long as it is higher than 3,000 RPM. But it will be jerky the lower you go. Get your downshifts done above 5,000 or use the clutch like the rest of riders do.

I also don't recommend the 1st to 2nd gear change in either direction. It's the longest gear change having to go through neutral. If it screws up there, the risks of damaging the transmission is higher. There's no real reason to use the system in those gears unless you're trying to set the lap record at the track. On the street, don't be lazy and and work out those hands muscles more. Remember, it's not an automatic transmission!!!
Yeah I'm figuring that out now lol. I downshifted and upshifted at around 2000 rpms prob a couple dozen or so times before transitioning to just using the clutch.

Do you think I should take the bike into the dealer to get it inspected for transmission damage?

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Yeah I'm figuring that out now lol. I downshifted and upshifted at around 2000 rpms prob a couple dozen or so times before transitioning to just using the clutch.

Do you think I should take the bike into the dealer to get it inspected for transmission damage?
Yeah, that's what I figured which prompted the question. Never a good thing to try to use something like that without understanding it first. Misconception of things leads to injury and damage. But it happens all the time.

It would depend on how hard you tried to force it into gear when it didn't go smoothly. If you tried to shift and it didn't go, did you immediately use the clutch lever to shift? Or did you just press harder on the pedal until it went? If you answered 'yes' to the second part, then it should probably be looked at. If not then I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't do that any more! :geek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's what I figured which prompted the question. Never a good thing to try to use something like that without understanding it first. Misconception of things leads to injury and damage. But it happens all the time.

It would depend on how hard you tried to force it into gear when it didn't go smoothly. If you tried to shift and it didn't go, did you immediately use the clutch lever to shift? Or did you just press harder on the pedal until it went? If you answered 'yes' to the second part, then it should probably be looked at. If not then I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't do that any more! :geek:
Lol! Yes to the second part.

I thought the shifter would do all the work, figured the computer would control everything and prevent a problem. Aside from pulling the transmission cassette out the side of the engine to inspect the gears, is there anything that can be done to check it for damage?

Its going to be tough for me to "feel" a difference riding it since I used the quickshifter/autoblipper from the moment I rolled out of the dealer parking lot with the bike, didn't really feel what the transmission shifted like normally.

·
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
Lol! Yes to the second part.

I thought the shifter would do all the work, figured the computer would control everything and prevent a problem. Aside from pulling the transmission cassette out the side of the engine to inspect the gears, is there anything that can be done to check it for damage?

Its going to be tough for me to "feel" a difference riding it since I used the quickshifter/autoblipper from the moment I rolled out of the dealer parking lot with the bike, didn't really feel what the transmission shifted like normally.
Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that. Nope, you have to pull the transmission out to inspect it then. That will likely lead to a bent/damaged shift fork. Hard to tell without looking at it and that can only be done with the cassette out of the motor. You may get lucky, but forcing it into gear like you've done puts wayyyy too much force on the shift actuator rod and the shift forks to force the gears like that.

No, the computer won't do all the work. It's set up to help in certain scenarios, but not account for everything. They make pushbutton shifters for bikes with dual clutch transmissions and this ain't one of them!

·
Registered
In Memory of SkyDork 11.28.2021
225 Posts
Lol looks are deceiving. The road leading to that intersection is to a development with nothing there so no traffic behind. No harm no foul. :)

I am always on the lookout for interesting backgrounds for photos. I got more cool photos than I do race stories. Hahaha. It can be a building, a scenic backdrop, cityscape, dead end, signs, garages, loading docks, ocean, trees, a floral garden, desert landscape, pretty much anything. But I am always looking for the next opportune spot. Next up on my list is going to be an intersection leading into a unused development. Hehehe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am always on the lookout for interesting backgrounds for photos. I got more cool photos than I do race stories. Hahaha. It can be a building, a scenic backdrop, cityscape, dead end, signs, garages, loading docks, ocean, trees, a floral garden, desert landscape, pretty much anything. But I am always looking for the next opportune spot. Next up on my list is going to be an intersection leading into a unused development. Hehehe
Ha! Same. Used to do a lot of interesting background photography with cars and bikes when I lived in Detroit. The places you go are often more interesting and satisfying than being the fastest on the track or street.

This was taken in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee - facing south (those are the smoky mts in the distance). I live not far from there, about an hour ride from the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sweeeet!! I am here in AZ and drove out to the Tail of teh Dragon two years ago. Was really nice. 5 days. Did the 130 mile drive around the Tail (see map below, amazing route!!), Cherhola Skyway, Blueridge Parkway, Smoky Mountains, Pigeon Forge. Apple Valley Cafe has the best burgers I ever had!! A great time. And believe it or not, just 1 time there in my life and I recognized a Brock's Penta-carbon photo of a bike near some water. But the water and the fence triggered a memory because I stopped at that exact location to take a photo of my bike too. The bike in photo is not mine, but this photo made me recognize that fence and area the only 1 time I stopped there. Hahahaha Got a few cool photos at that huge Dragon at the nearby Harley Dealership and at the "High Crash" Sign 11 miles. at the start of the Tail. Good times. I love that area. Very green. A green I had never experienced before.

Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Tire Cloud

Ecoregion Map World Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great photos. I just checked my pics and sure enough, I have a pic of my bike in front of one of them picnic tables. And if you look off in the distance in that same phot, see the mountain in the background with that triangular looking rock front? I have that in one of my pics too. They are on my phone so I have to post them for "proof." Hahaha. The day I arrived it was drizzling so I didn't get too many cool photos. If you haven't rode the route in the map I posted, it is the best riding. It took me just over 7 hours to complete 130 miles because I stop and take so many photos. I'll try and post up a few.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts