Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2011 ZX-10R. Black bikes matter!
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my bike and forum membership for around 3 months but have never got around to introducing myself and my bike.

I am 34 years old and have been on 2 wheels since age 12, starting with a Puch moped, then a crusty Yamaha Xs400. After having several metric cruisers, I moved into the sportbike world. Although this is my first 10R, it it isn't my first Ninja. I am the previous owner of two ZX-11Ds, one stock and the second very modified and very fast.

After being bikeless for some time, the death of my father led me to get back on two wheels. Our best times and fondest memories revolved around our bikes and travelling multiple states away for no good reason. Although he always owned cruisers, starting with HD and ending with a Honda VTX 1800, he didn't hesitate to take my keys and beat the living hell out of my Ninja.

Anyways, my bike is a black 2011 ZX-10R that I found on Craigslist. I picked it up from the original owner with 4444 miles, all original documentation, and numerous mods. It has never been laid down, but there is minor damage from the owner's son bumping into it with a dirtbike while it was in the garage. The bike came with the following:

-like new Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3s
-Brocks alien head slipon
-GPR v4 damper
-Power Commander V
-Speedmetal levers
-Lightech rear sets
-Saddlemen front seat
-Puig windscreen
-tank pad
-fender eliminator

Included but not installed:

-K&N air filter
-Graves PAIR blockoff plates

The bike also came with a nice Alpinestars leather jacket, two Bilt canvas jackets, and a set of Alpinestars boots, all in my size. He also included enough Mobil 1 4t for an oil change, along with a K&N oil filter, plenty of cleaning/chain lubing supplies, a battery tender, and a rear stand. The owner was giving up sportbikes to buy a Harley.

Since purchasing I have done the following:

-Changed oil & filter
-Installed air filter and blockoff plates (minor PIA since holes were drilled incorrectly, thanks Graves!)
-Added Speedmetal rear spools
-Swapped in a CustomLED integrated tail light and removed aftermarket rear blinkers
-Added electronic flasher (from Cyclegear made for Yamaha but plugs right in)
-Mounted JT sprockets -1+2 (front retains rubber cushion)
-Removed front reflectors
-Removed Power Commander V
-Added Woolich Racing Logbox with Zeitronix wideband o2, AFR gauge, and Woolich race tools kit w/quickshifter
-Disassembled intake snorkel and removed foam birdcage/plastic tabs
-Removed exhaust servo
-Replaced spark plugs
-Disassembled fuel system, flushed tank, replaced fuel pump sock/filter (thanks eBay), backflushed all 8 injectors
-Manually adjusted CCT 1 click
-Checked valves while everything was apart (even though they weren't due yet)
-Made AFR gauge/cell phone holder mounting bracket from diamond plate aluminum

While I had the bike apart, I removed everything painted and gave it all a thorough cleaning. After examining everything closely, I repaired a few slightly cracked fairing tabs and filled in the stock rear fender holes on the rear undertray (dirt/water had a habit of spraying the under seat area).Then I polished/buffed everything to get as many of the tiny scratches and imperfections out as I could (damn black paint). Finally, everything was waxed, reassembled, and then waxed again. The instrument cluster, windshield, and headlights were polished and waxed as well, and turned out beautiful.

The end result is a stunning black gen 4, which numerous people swear is a new bike. So far I have put close to 3k miles on it, despite the fact that it was disassembled for a couple weeks waiting on parts (my fault for losing the damn fuel tank vent o-ring) and for me to clean/polish/wax everything.

The Woolich kit made a huge difference, allowing me to do the following:

-derestrict my bike
-disable fuel cut
-turn off error codes (for PAIR valve, exhaust servo, and non-existent intake vane error issue)
-bump the rev limiter up 500 rpm
-tweak timing & STP opening
-allow KTRC to stay off on startup
-adjust KTRC engagement levels
-enable quickshifter
-set up launch mode
-perform autotune

So far I have done 6 autotune sessions and the AFRs are getting close to spot on. In order to autotune properly, you are supposed to run the engine at all engine speeds and throttle positions, which isn't so simple on public roads. That task is easier said than done even with the -1+2 sprockets.

The bike cranks and runs very well despite the fact that it is still running the factory Yuasa battery (the owner kept it on trickle charge 24/7 when not riding). It will absolutely haul ass at high rpms, however at low rpms such as when pulling away from a dead stop, the bike sure doesn't put out a lot of power.

I can't really gripe though, as judging by the dyno slips I've seen, it looks to be a trait of the bike as opposed to an issue. The engine also tends to sputter a little under slight acceleration or steady speeds when under about 5k rpms. I'm not sure if that it abnormal though.

All in all, I absolutely love the bike, despite how hard it is on the back tire.

Attachments

REPOST Enforcement Mod
Welcome!

Sounds like you've done quite a bit over the short time you've owned it. You've been busy! Glad you're happy with how it's turning out so far. At least that license plate is accurate and it is slow. The GREEN ones are the faster ones, but enjoy that black. 馃ぃ

Registered
Very, very impressive build! You clearly know what you're doing. Is a lithium iron battery on your next list of upgrades?

Registered
Rock and Roll we got another bike to watch getting modded........you should consider a respray or at very least lots of green accessories and decals.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rock and Roll we got another bike to watch getting modded........you should consider a respray or at very least lots of green accessories and decals.
At this point I think I'm gonna keep an eye out for a set of green plastics. Black is just too damn hard to keep clean and shiny.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome!

Sounds like you've done quite a bit over the short time you've owned it. You've been busy! Glad you're happy with how it's turning out so far. At least that license plate is accurate and it is slow. The GREEN ones are the faster ones, but enjoy that black. 馃ぃ
The license plate was mainly to poke fun at the dozens of people who look at the bike and then ask me if it is fast. That can be almost as annoying as all the vape bros who tell me that the bike is one sick 600 or call it a gixxer.

I've got an eye out for some green plastics, as black is hard to keep clean and green is faster looking, even with the bike sitting still.

Registered
Ceramic coating the black paint will help a whole lot with that. Ceramic coated panels practically wash themselves just using a heavy rinse.

Registered
ZX10RR
Welcome to the forum ! nice 10R, my first one was 11' as well ! great fast bike, very reliable as well. Mine didnt have as much juice tho.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum ! nice 10R, my first one was 11' as well ! great fast bike, very reliable as well. Mine didnt have as much juice tho.
Thank you sir. Kawasaki certainly knows the formula for building badass bikes. The 10r handles almost as well as a 600 while weighing not much more but yet puts out nearly zx14 or Hayabusa levels of hp at high rpms. What's not to love.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geat job with the paint correction. Bike looks amazing and is making me want to do the same to my 2012.
Thanks. To do it right can be quite a bit of work, but the end result is well worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts