Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 06 black and brought it home. Last night I unloaded it from my trailer and it"acted" up when starting but I finally got it started and took it for a small ride around the block. This morning when I got to start it, the bike turns on and the engine cranks, but does not start. There is fuel in the tank and it has one mile on it, what could the problem be? I know the dealer was adjusting the idle speed when I picked it up. I just hope its something i can check and not take it back. Also when I turn my key to lock the bike and want to lock the steering, but the key does not come out?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take it back!!! It's brand new, there should be no problems like this!!! I have an 06' and it runs like a dream I have put 2000 miles on it in the past two months and not even one issue. Except for having to take it in for the first service, having the chain lubed and tightend, and putting in gas. There should be no issues with a brand new bike.
:welcome:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hasselhoff said:
Take it back!!! It's brand new, there should be no problems like this!!! . . . There should be no issues with a brand new bike.
:welcome:
:+1: :+1: :+1:

You paid not only for a properly-functioning new bike, but for a warranty as well. Take it back!

Good luck!:thumbsup:

GD

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
make sure when you try to lock the steering you dont turn the wheel all the way..you need to turn the bars back towards straight alittle while you pull the key.

i hope not to offend you but also, make sure the red start button is on when you try to start it..

oops.. just realized this may not be your 1st bike so the above is obvious info.. good luck..

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Yep, just give the bars a wobble when you lock it and the key will come out.

Check the kill switch and also try starting it in neutral with the kickstand up to eliminate switch problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info, and no this is not my first bike. The bike is in neutral and the stand is up and the i checked the switch... still no luck

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
for god shake. take it back. Do the usual thing. check gas,fuses,switches. Don't touch anything else. Take it back and see the manager and tell him whats going on.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
rocketracermike said:
for god shake. take it back. Do the usual thing. check gas,fuses,switches. Don't touch anything else. Take it back and see the manager and tell him whats going on.

And get him to try and start it. That way when the shop says they can't find a problem, you've got one person on the payroll that can say, "yes there is a problem". Of course you know it will start right up when it gets on the dealerships lot. :lol: Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the wiggle method and got the bars to lock, i just didnt know the trick was to wiggle it, anyways i am going to try to take it in tommorow, the only reason i am kinda in a sticky situation, is that i bought the bike in west laffayette, and not i am in chicago till september so its here with me. Do you think I can just take it to the local Kawasaki shop here, insted of driving back 200 miles. Sure hope so. Tommorow a few people at Raisor Powersports are going to get a very angry call. I was so excited to take the bike out today....:sad:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
If the gas is filled past the filler neck it will not start sometimes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i didnt fill the gas, i was just the way it came, do you guys think something could of happend on the trailer with something moving or getting loose. The power is there and it cranks like i said before. I hate just looking at the bike in the garage.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Enzo said:
I did the wiggle method and got the bars to lock, i just didnt know the trick was to wiggle it, anyways i am going to try to take it in tommorow, the only reason i am kinda in a sticky situation, is that i bought the bike in west laffayette, and not i am in chicago till september so its here with me. Do you think I can just take it to the local Kawasaki shop here, insted of driving back 200 miles. Sure hope so. Tommorow a few people at Raisor Powersports are going to get a very angry call. I was so excited to take the bike out today....:sad:
you know i read this all the time on several boards.. everyone always seems to think they have to go back to where they bought the bike. you can take it to any authorized dealer just like a car. they get paid by kawasaki for their time on a warranty claim just like any dealer. they shouldnt turn you back to where you bought it if they are in business to make $$. good luck..

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ya, you can take it to any Kawasaki dealer. I have in the past but when I went in for my front wheel recall on my 04 I had to go to where I bought the bike. But for regular warranty work any dealer will do.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Take it back to the stealership...get your money back if you paid for set up...and whatever you do, don't take it back to them...after they get it right

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quick10 said:
Please check your battery cables and maybe try charging your battery. It may not be strong enough to start your bike but still turn over.
:+1:
Sounds like it could be a dead battery if you only rode it around the block and if the dealer only ran it for a minute then the thing may be dead. I would get it started and ride it around on the highway for 30 minutes come home and try to start it again, then consider taking it to the dealer

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Larry Grogan said:
:+1:
Sounds like it could be a dead battery if you only rode it around the block and if the dealer only ran it for a minute then the thing may be dead. I would get it started and ride it around on the highway for 30 minutes come home and try to start it again, then consider taking it to the dealer
I was thinking that too, that and make sure you actually have some gas.
Dealers are stingy, probably gave you less than a gallon, maybe way less knowing you were going 200 miles away to never return.

Also when batts are new and you fill them, they only come up to about 85 % and that takes a while.
They should be trickle charged. Buy a batt tender, can't go wrong there and batt will last longer too.

No pre delivery inspection/ ride done by shop? They are supposed to and have you sign off the sheet.

If they prepped bike in a hurry and cranked it up on fresh battery then shut it down, then you turned the key on and played with things without starting it, then started it for a 1 mile ride and left it- I could see that battery being dead and maybe even damaged.

May just not last as long as it could have.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts