Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all I'm new to the forum but have been reading for a while now, I want to buy a 05 zx10r but have been a little concerned about something some of my local dealers have been saying to me . Just to keep it brief " kawasakis need a lot of maintainence, things like valve clearences go out of adjustment, but when we check Hondas and suzis, they never need touching" is this just bull***t or is there any truth in it I always thought kawasakis were a very durable motor, your comments please.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Didnt I already reply to this thread???

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Never heard or read anything of the sort. They need as much attention as any other bike. One thing to take into consideration, the alternator on the 04-05 is in the motor and cooled by the oil. If the alternator takes a dump you're looking at a new motor.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
ok, one, your dealership is on crack. two, a few of us, including myself have had the valves checked, some around 5k all the way up to the recommended 15k i think it is, and none of us touched them execept i think one guy shimmed his a tad. three, they need no more maintenance then any other jap bike, oil, chain lube, tlc, thats about it till 15k. four, any bike you get needs stuff done to it, if your handy, most can be done yourself, but for the most part about all the jap liter bike have a similar maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Older models like the ZX-11, ZX-9, and ZX-7 needed valves clearances checked every 7K miles or so. On both my bikes I checked them myself and typically some of the exhaust valves got tight for the first 3 or 4 checks and needed to be swapped out (the shims) to loosen them up a bit. That happens as the valve wears into the valve seat. To change shims on the ZX-9 the cams had to come out. The 7 had rocker arms that could be moved over. Most times I could just move then around a bit from valve to valve to get them back in spec. Obviously I needed thinner shims as the seats wore so sometimes I had to go buy shims from the local dealer (and brought my caliper to measure them too)
All in all it would take the better part of the day to take it all apart, measure clearances, look at the table in the manual, change shims, and button it all back up. Its not hard but if you fuck up, you fuck up big.
Other bikes (yammy and suzuki, honda too) seemed to need less checks than kawasaki. In fact most sport bikes probably get binned before its needed, as with the yammys that did not need checked till 26k miles or so.....most sport bike don't live that long.
Now the ZX-10 I think is up to 15K or so before the valves need checked. So thay have gotten better.
So thats my long asswinded story.
Bike take alot of maintaince......thats part of the fun to take them apaerrt from time to time.....you can learn alot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts