Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there anyone in here from Florida hasn't ever done a trackday?

I've posted this before, but it was a while ago. I thought I would post it again.

There is a program with the Florida Department of Transportation that works with the Florida State University Police Department (who put together a "Motorsports Team") to put together ideas that could have a positive impact on motorcycle related fatalities here in Florida.

One of those is this program, geared toward introducing street riders to the world of trackdays. Aimed at taking the typical sportbike rider (we all were at one time) that is flying down the highways and getting them to the track. Showing them what it's about and how much fun it is. While teaching them how to be better riders both on the street and on the track. As with most of us, we notice how different the safety aspects are when comparing the 2.

We've been doing the program for a couple years now. We do about 6-7 events per year. And so far it's been a HUGE success. The groups are kept very small in order to maximize the instructor to rider ratio. Which allows the riders to excel VERY quickly.

We typically have between 4-8 riders per day. And we'll usually have between 4-5 instructors. Obviously this varies depending on the track, event, etc...

MANY riders advance to intermediate on the same day. We have quite a few that are now running advanced times, with in just a couple trackdays of doing their first one. We have a couple that are taking the leap into racing. And we wish them a lot of luck and hope to be there with them every step of the way!

As part of the program DOT/FSUPD pays for about half of the entry fees. We do all of your bike prep, walk you through the registration and tech inspection process. We then ride with you on the track and work with you between sessions off the track. We provide you with water, chairs, tents, video, etc... for the day of the event. You have to provide your bike, obtain gear (buy, borrow or rent), pay half your entry fee and get yourself to and from the track.

The next event we have is May 27th and 28th at JenningsGP, the event is hosted by Southern Trackdays. If you or you know someone interested in participating, please have them send a message to the FSUPD Motorsports Team Page and that will get them on the list.

If you/they have any questions, they can send at questions to that page, or read a little more about it here: www.tracklife308.com/newrider.

So if you all would, share with any friends that you think might be interested in participating in this.

Thank you!

·
Chairman of the Board
16,053 Posts
Guys if your in Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, your not too far from Jennings to take advantage of this. Its a great chance to learn a TON about riding. This is a chance to get one on one coaching from guys that know how to blister the pavement. Call in sick, pawn your watch, whatever takes. You WONT be sorry.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Wish yall did something like this in SoCal. Ive done 2 trackdays and still would love the idea of having such a small group to really work with and teach me something. Last trackday felt like I was going backwards.

This is a great thing, really great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Seems like an awesome program guys, I wish we had something like this in TN. (or a track within decent driving distance of the west side of the state for that matter) lol

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a blast I had back on June 11th over at PBIR! More instructors then riders on the day I went and It could not have been better. They Teach from the ground up, with it seeming a bit overwhelming at first but by the end I had confidence and understanding to navigate the track while being safe and fast! Could not have imagined the ignorant and naive things I would have done if not for this program on my first track day. Please sign up if you have the slightest interest as I promise you will not regret it, thanks again Nick and the crew chief Kelly!~

·
Chairman of the Board
16,053 Posts
I had a blast I had back on June 11th over at PBIR! More instructors then riders on the day I went and It could not have been better. They Teach from the ground up, with it seeming a bit overwhelming at first but by the end I had confidence and understanding to navigate the track while being safe and fast! Could not have imagined the ignorant and naive things I would have done if not for this program on my first track day. Please sign up if you have the slightest interest as I promise you will not regret it, thanks again Nick and the crew chief Kelly!~
This. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Ughh, I need more gear(boots & gloves) so I can get back out there. I had a freakin' blast and learned so much when I went. Hard to believe that was 2 years ago already.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ive never done a track day. I still can’t believe I’ve never done a track day! I’ve been on a bike for 15 of the last 25 years, and I’ve never done a track day.

UNTIL TODAY!

Hell yeah! I’m sitting here in front of the local grocery, that opens in 15 minutes, waiting to buy some food for lunch & water for the day. I just drove my Gen1 100 miles South to Homestead Speedway, and finally it’s happening! I’m sofa king excited!

Florida Track Days .com is doing a promotion for Novice group whereas it’s track fee buy-in, but they refund the $310 suit/boot rental the day after... assuming you don’t wreck it. Man, $205 for a whole Sunday of tracktime... I couldn’t pass it up! I stil can’t believe I’m just finding out about it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts