Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm slowly learning about my bike, but have a couple questions regarding operation items. 06 ZX-10R

1) The bike will only start in neutral. Previous ATV's/Bikes would start in any gear as long as the clutch lever was depressed...Is this normal? The previous owner said he put a new clutch in the bike, and I noticed after buying that the ignition casing is cracked. The key only works one way too.

2) Neutral is a MOFO when cold, and I seem to miss it when hot....It seems like there is a very small gate for it.

3) I set the clock, but it keeps reseting...Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
1. should start in gear with clutch in as long the kick stand is not down
2. Kawi's have a neutral finder, not sure how you are missing it. Just make sure you are completely stop when you go from 1st gear to neutral.
3. lose wire from the battery?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Check your Clutch lever adjustment, or your kickstand switch.

It will start in gear but the kickstand must be up, if your kickstand is up and it won't start in gear then your Clutch switch needs adjusting.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
After I installed my Pazzos, I no longer could start unless in neutral. Do you have stock levers?

Neutral should be really easy to find, not sure why you miss it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
it starts in gear fine for me i think you have a problem with your leavers

proelky.... check your oil that might b the problem you are having getting the bike to netural.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
why or how did your ign casing get cracked?........and the ign key only working in one direction?.............do you mean that you cannot turn the ign off or to tree lock/acc position?.......are you sure you didn't buya stolen bike?........not accusing you of anyhting,.don't take it the wrong way.................just sounds kinda weird?........and maybe the clock keeps reseting because someone was messing with ign/power wires or harness?
these are usual signs that a bike has been stolen or hotwired

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Theres a little switch underneath the clutch lever that gets dirty and doesnt want to work.. That is mostly likely causing your starting problem mine does it just dont feel like fixing it theres an old thread about it somwere if it hasnt been deleted.. some actually filed the contact down and others just cleaned the grime out..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I drove to look/purchase the bike site unseen (other than pics). Seller said the bike had not been dropped. The bike had aftermarket fairings, which all matched in color, except for the rear cowl. The mirrors had been replaced, and the bike had a few extra parts with it. The frame id matched the title, and I didn't notice the ignition until I got home. I asked the Seller about it, and he said he lost the ket, and had a locksmith make a key for it. The bike has been lowered, and someone has bent the factory stand to make it work....

If you guys want pics, let me know and I can post whatever you need. If it's stolen, I'm driving back to DFW to rape someone! LOL!.....

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I'd have to say wrecked or stolen man.....there would be no reason to have after market fairings....cracked ignition....and wiring problems. But as others have said check the switch..then the clutch adjustment.

J

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd have to say wrecked or stolen man.....there would be no reason to have after market fairings....cracked ignition....and wiring problems. But as others have said check the switch..then the clutch adjustment.

J
I'm not tearing into the bike until winter, but I'd like to rule out the stolen aspect. Any pointers on doing so? I have the title, and the bike

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
Maybe it wasn't stolen....maybe just wrecked??
yeah man!....if the title #'s match up with the stamp on the frame,......maybe it was just wrecked.......?:dontknow:

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm slowly learning about my bike, but have a couple questions regarding operation items. 06 ZX-10R

1) The bike will only start in neutral. Previous ATV's/Bikes would start in any gear as long as the clutch lever was depressed...Is this normal? The previous owner said he put a new clutch in the bike, and I noticed after buying that the ignition casing is cracked. The key only works one way too.

2) Neutral is a MOFO when cold, and I seem to miss it when hot....It seems like there is a very small gate for it.

3) I set the clock, but it keeps reseting...Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1) It can start with the clutch in and kickstand up...I think. I always start in neutral to prevent a snafu.

2) Change your oil maybe or set your clutch freeplay to specs. Otherwise I don't know...no issues on my '06.

3) Tighten your battery connections

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help! Can anyone suggest a way to get another ignition switch without getting raped by a dealer? I guess I'll need another cowl lock too?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
1. should start in gear with clutch in as long the kick stand is not down
2. Kawi's have a neutral finder, not sure how you are missing it. Just make sure you are completely stop when you go from 1st gear to neutral.
3. lose wire from the battery?
:iamwithst

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help! Can anyone suggest a way to get another ignition switch without getting raped by a dealer? I guess I'll need another cowl lock too?

Anyone?

·
^^No Bike Bum^^
2,138 Posts
keep an eye out on here for someone parting a bike will probably be the cheapest.. keep an eye on ebay as well...

make sure to get the gas cap as well....

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
You see the set on ebay from time to time for around 100 bucks. Ignition, gas cap, seat cowl lock and key.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You see the set on ebay from time to time for around 100 bucks. Ignition, gas cap, seat cowl lock and key.
Thanks! I found a complete kit on ebay for $180....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts