Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a fresh perspective on a situation I'm having with a retailer over a big bore kit I bought for my honda trx450r. Anyway, here goes:

I bought a Hammerhed 14:1 480 kit from a sponsor on a 450 site. The HH piston is a 2 ringer low tension ring piston so it had special installation specs. The rings were to be installed at .021" end gap and the piston to cylinder clearance could be no more than .001" (to give the low tension rings proper tension) I bought this as a kit and the cylinder was supposed to be bored to match THIS piston.

I installed the kit myself and it ran very hard. I was impressed. I let the engine cool and upon restarting it smoked like a freight train. Oil smoke out the exhaust. It went away after about a full 60 seconds so I continued my heat cycle. After cooling again I checked the oil and all oil in the sight glass was gone. It had lost 8oz of oil (it only holds about 28oz i believe). I refilled the oil to full line and proceded with heat cycle #3. Same thing, smoke and loss of oil. I discovered the oil was blowing out of the crankcase vent hose and being sucked back into the carb to be burnt by the engine. I relocated the vent hose to outside the airbox and no more smoke but under full throttle accel. it would blow raw oil out of the hose. I am not talking splatter I'm talking thin stream. I had enough, time for a tear down.

I tore it down and took it to a machine shop. They measure the p-c clearance and found it to be .0015". As I said this is speced for NO MORE than .001" I emailed the guy who helped design this piston and he confirmed that .0015" was too big of a clearance for this to work properly and it would do what it was doing. So now I call up the shop I bought it from.

He says he want me to to send it back to him so he can have his machine shop check it out. (he doesnt' believe me). So I do. His machine shop confirms that p-c clearance is in fact .0015". They check it against other brand new kits they have in stock and the cylinder measures exactly the same as the other cylinders but the piston is .0007 smaller than the other pistons. They are saying that the cylinder was bored to correct specs but the piston shrunk during break in. They agreed to refund the cost of the cylinder (bacause they can reuse it) but not the cost of the piston, rings, gaskets, or shipping back and forth. This kit cost me $675 plus shipping back to them. The refund from the cylinder was $350 so I am out over $325 and my quad has been down for almost 6 weeks over this deal.

While this was all taking place the specs for the ring end gaps changed from .021" to .018" to .012" in an attempt to cure the oil problems others were having. So now this shop is saying it was installer error because I used the specs available at the time and not the specs now available. wtf! The guy I bought this from has made his stand and is not going to refund. I cannot resell this piston now because everyone on the 450 forums has seen what it has been through.

My only option now is to call VISA and use the fraud protection option to get my money back. Am I overacting or should I just let this go. I have almost been banned off of the 450r.org forum for my opinion on this. What would you guys do?

ps. sorry so long. (the post, not me) lol! :hello:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don't know much about playing mechanic at this level, but it seems to me that if you followed the installation instructions and the kit was bad, you're entitled to a full refund. The product was defective, not your work. I'd call Visa.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
:+1:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
:+1:

not your fault updates came about after your kit was sent to you, its bad on them then not to let you know of this and not to work with you to get you the correct whatever it is you needed.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had gotten so involved in this thing it was one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" kinda things. Thanks for all the opinions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts