Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I got a wild hair and decided to have some parts powder coated. I have a 1998 zx9r and can't decide on a color that will go with lime green. Here is a list of what I plan to have PC. All of the engine covers, water pump, clip ons, clutch and brake levers, rear master mount, gage mount, air intake screens, rear sets to much to list........ What do you guys think, have you seen any other 9r s with PC? Pics?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You cant go wrong with Black. I had an 01 zx6r and I powder coated the rearsets, bird cage and rims black....it looked awesome

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought of black but on the engine covers black is going to draw to much heat. What about gold? a simple gold nothing to stand out ish.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
I thought of black but on the engine covers black is going to draw to much heat. What about gold? a simple gold nothing to stand out ish.
Gold is nice but requires a clear, which may cost you more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thing the same, man I'm going to be in some trouble with the wife when she hears what this is going to cost. Speaking of cost how do you guys determin the cost? quanity of parts, size? what?

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
I was thing the same, man I'm going to be in some trouble with the wife when she hears what this is going to cost. Speaking of cost how do you guys determin the cost? quanity of parts, size? what?
Size of part
how much powder will be used
Prep work that needs done(The most expensive part) So if u can clean them spotless do it. If you can sandblast them do it.
Some powders require clears other require basecoats. all will reflect in the price.

also check if any colors will be a special order since no one can have all the colors avaiable. (I charge for any powder i have to order and its a 2lb Minimum) Most coaters try too keep basic colors in stock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool Thanks....... I have sand blasted all the parts, spotless..... So now it's a matter of time. Thanks for your help.........

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey 06black you have a gold color (Sun Gold w/Clear) on the ZX-14 Calipers is that a RAL color? How can I order some or what do I tell the guy who is going to do my parts. Thanks......

·
Registered
533 Posts
dude, i dont know if you have done it already, but if I were you, I would do the engine cover that stock magniesium color, but with a wrinkel finish, iv always been a fan of it, and it really stands out and looks trick.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still trying to make up my mind, what you suggest sounds cool but for me to find the stock color of magniesium and the wrinkel finish in a Powder is hard. Have you seen the zx-14 calipers of 06black? How do you think that gold color would look with the wrinkel look?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the 98 9r they are Black six pots. I think either way I'm going to go with the Sun Gold. 06black has been helping me out with links for the powder I just need to figure out if I can get it in a wrinkle. Take Care.. Thanks for your input.......

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
i went with semi-gloss black on my covers but thats just me

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,556 Posts
10 pounds of the Sun Gold on the way, now it's only a matter of time.
Wow how many bikes ya doing? Did you order clear as well. It Must have a clear I would recommend the Super Durable High Gloss Crystal Clear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have about 40 parts in all. As far as the clear goes he has some. When I get it put back together I'll post pics.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got the parts back a few days ago and I must say I could have done a better job myself, not a happy camper. Most of the parts he put the clear on way to thick they look milky around the edges. Every hole that was pluged has a build up where the part met the plug. On a few pieces I can still see the metal the gold was not applied thich enough. I had to sand blast a few pieces because it ws so thick I couldn't get things back together. Also this coating is like an egg shell the slightest little contact made with another object and it cracks off. He had me order 10 lbs of the gold powder that he thought it would take to cover all the parts, I still have about 8 pounds left.
I should have sent them off the 06black his work looks great next to what I have. I feel better now had to vent..............

1 - 20 of 28 Posts