Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my chain, and I am going to put a new sprocket on also, and need to know the right one. Pretty confusing as I have never done this before. I want to keep stock setup, 40 tooth rear sproket and 525 chain. The rear sprockets list, some do, as 520 conversion 40 tooth sprokets, What is the diiference? The 525 chain is also confusing. Stock is I believe 108 links. There are 120 link 525 and susch. I am going to make sure it is X-ring with rivet master link of course, but can;t seem to choose the right setup. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks :cool:

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
520 chains are lighter and "thinner" not as heavy duty, people switch to them to save rotating mass but this requires changing the sprockets as well.

If your keeping the same size chain you only need to buy a 525 chain unless your sprocket is worn out. Then make sure the sprocket you buy is 525.

Chains usually come in 120 links and have to be cut to proper length. I think it is 110 so not 100% positive on that. Cutting them to the proper length requires some tools. Their are kits for this or if you have a grinder/dremel tool you can probably make due. Otherwise take it to a shop and they can cut it for you.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
520 chains are lighter and "thinner" not as heavy duty, people switch to them to save rotating mass but this requires changing the sprockets as well.

If your keeping the same size chain you only need to buy a 525 chain unless your sprocket is worn out. Then make sure the sprocket you buy is 525.

Chains usually come in 120 links and have to be cut to proper length. I think it is 110 so not 100% positive on that. Cutting them to the proper length requires some tools. Their are kits for this or if you have a grinder/dremel tool you can probably make due. Otherwise take it to a shop and they can cut it for you.
yes the 04,5 zx10's use 110L while the 06,7 uses 108L but all the components must be the same size ie, 525 chain and sprockets.

BD

·
Registered
176 Posts
The factory front sprocket is made with a nylon insert that helps to reduce vibration, just thought I would mention that because you wanted stock sizes and some people have noticed a buzz or vibration from non factory front sprockets.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Really you will just have to find your combination and what suits you. I'm going up 2 in the rear for now, but I have to ride a ways before I get to good twistys and I ride my bike to work a lot, so the lower ratios doesnt work for me as well. I have to find a happy median as were some guys bikes are gear just for race. The thing is, the gear ratio on your bike souly depends on how that bike is going to be used. For example, my out-door motocross bike is set up completely different than my arena bike. I would say start with 2 or 3 up in the rear see how you like it and then you can always go down in the front if need be.

Happy riding

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I will be changing sprockets and chain as well here shortly.

Gonna go with EK chain and Afam sprockets.

Now just have to figure out if I want Aluminum or Steel?!?! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
My '04-6RR came from the factory w/ a green chain. My buddy just ordered an RK green for his '07-6R and it was $200.00...ouch. Never saw green sprockets. Would'nt look good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts