Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking off the air box i found this glued blocked off hole then same on ths throttle body. Including the hose crammed and clogged with shit. Any input any1?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
It's an emissions thing. It pulls air from your airbox, through a pump, and into your exhaust system on top of the engine so that unburned gasses will combust in your exhaust, most commonly heard as the backfiring when closed throttle, slowing down etc.

In relation to tuning, it gives false air fuel readings as it's injecting air into the exhaust side of the system, so blocking it off allows a tuner to properly do their job.

There's numerous ways to remove the system, the right way is with a cap on the airbox nipple and block off plates on the engine block, the lazy way is to just plug the holes with whatever your crafty self can come up with like marbles and screws and clamps or in this case, some gorilla glue.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,019 Posts
It's an emissions thing. It pulls air from your airbox, through a pump, and into your exhaust system on top of the engine so that unburned gasses will combust in your exhaust, most commonly heard as the backfiring when closed throttle, slowing down etc.

In relation to tuning, it gives false air fuel readings as it's injecting air into the exhaust side of the system, so blocking it off allows a tuner to properly do their job.

There's numerous ways to remove the system, the right way is with a cap on the airbox nipple and block off plates on the engine block, the lazy way is to just plug the holes with whatever your crafty self can come up with like marbles and screws and clamps or in this case, some gorilla glue.
Very nice explanation my man. Rep comin your way for that one. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ok makes sense which reminds me it seems that I have quite a bit of backfiring on deceleration all depending on how high RPMs are and gear. Ect. Ect. I read it was because of unburned fuel in the exhaust and what not so at first I wasn't sure if I needed to do something to fix it or change the plugs or what to do still haven't done anything about it either. But I am having a major major problem with fuel curious I use the highest octane at the gas stations and I don't just ride full wide open throttle all the time Everywhere I Go but yes filling up on 14 $15 a little bit over a hundred miles my gas light will be back on. And if ran out of gas a couple times! Remove the Power Commander to see if it was going bad and you tell a difference in throttle response and whatnot. But gas is still leaving me SOL

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Ah ok makes sense which reminds me it seems that I have quite a bit of backfiring on deceleration all depending on how high RPMs are and gear. Ect. Ect. I read it was because of unburned fuel in the exhaust and what not so at first I wasn't sure if I needed to do something to fix it or change the plugs or what to do still haven't done anything about it either. But I am having a major major problem with fuel curious I use the highest octane at the gas stations and I don't just ride full wide open throttle all the time Everywhere I Go but yes filling up on 14 $15 a little bit over a hundred miles my gas light will be back on. And if ran out of gas a couple times! Remove the Power Commander to see if it was going bad and you tell a difference in throttle response and whatnot. But gas is still leaving me SOL
the blocked tubes may be leaking air. what is your major major problem with fuel? is the power commander still working? save the map and zero it out then ride it and see the difference. it probably needs to be put on a dyno and tuned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts