Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I have a 2008 zx10r and need help setting up my suspension for daily street use. It's bone stock currently and way to light for me at 240 lbs. if any of you can train me up on how to set it for my weight I'd greatly appreciate it.
I do plan for some future track time but will not ride it for that most of the time.
Or should I just pay the cash and have a shop do it for me. I've been riding a long time but never messed with suspension coomponents.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The first thing you should do is have the rear shock spring changed and if possible have it re valved to. I way 220 and had mine done and what an improvement it is.

The rear spring is way to soft for us big guys. The front seems to be set up for us bigger guys as it is a lot stiffer. I use mine on the street and track and have had no problems with the front yet as I am only in the green group so not pushing to hard to really find its faults. like I said above had the rear re valved and sprung for my weight and it works great.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,364 Posts
The first thing you should do is have the rear shock spring changed and if possible have it re valved to. I way 220 and had mine done and what an improvement it is.

The rear spring is way to soft for us big guys. The front seems to be set up for us bigger guys as it is a lot stiffer. I use mine on the street and track and have had no problems with the front yet as I am only in the green group so not pushing to hard to really find its faults. like I said above had the rear re valved and sprung for my weight and it works great.
:+1: I'm about 230-240lbs geared up depending on how big a dump I take in the morning. But the rear end is a problem and you can't really solve it without a new spring and valving. You don't need to buy an aftermarket shock, but you will have to drop some coin on the stock rear one if you want to get it right and take it out on the track. Forget going 2-up on it as well.

After you get that taken care of, the next step would be to set the static sag with the preload adjusters. This is by far the most crucial part of the setup before farting around with the compression and rebound adjusters. I have 35mm of sag in the front and 27mm of sag in the rear. But my rear end is also jacked up 4mm at the shock mount and the front is dropped 3mm in the tree. I've been pretty happy with this setup so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts