Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i tried removing this bolt a few weeks ago and it must have been seized up, because it stripped without hesitation. Just received my full system today, so I needed to get it off to remove the lower fairing. I tried taking a dremel and putting a notch across the top and using a flathead screw driver. No luck, still stuck. Just kept bending the bolt head.

To make a long story short, I ended up completely breaking off the head of the bolt. I dont have much room to work with, and im pretty positive its seized in there.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to remove it cleanly? I notice craftsman makes a tool called drill out, but im not sure if it will help or do more harm then good. Would I be better off taking it to an auto shop and seeing what they can do? If not an auto shop, what kind of shop can help me out with this situation? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Take your fairing off.Center punch the broken bolt right in the middle.Get yourself an Ezy-out with a drill bit to match the size.Take a bolt the same size to a good tool store,tell them what you are trying to achieve and they'll give you the right tool for the job.
Being only a small size thread it should come out pretty easy.Good luck!

·
Registered
578 Posts
The obvious and most annoying thing would be to get a tap and die set but if this drill out thing works or Ezy Out then im sure its much easier.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen this easy out tool online, but does anyone know if I can find it at a local store. Such as home depot, wal mart, etc. Or do I need to order it online?

I would use the tap and die methof but I have no clue how to do that.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Factory fastners on just about everything but the motor are made of cheese. The shallow heads don't help either. Id go the easy out method and add a little heat.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I agree with the easy out method as stated above. You should not need to tap out the hole unless the threads are damaged, take a good look at them once you get the bolt out. Like it was stated however, the bolts are soft and weak, the bolt may be ruined but as soft as they are it most likely wont ruin the threads on the bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can get easy out kits at napa or advance auto parts. Also what year bike do you have? And is it the larger bolt your trying to remove? I guess my question is what is the bolt holding together that you need to remove it?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get easy out kits at napa or advance auto parts. Also what year bike do you have? And is it the larger bolt your trying to remove? I guess my question is what is the bolt holding together that you need to remove it?
Its a 2008 model. I dunno if you can see it in the picture, its the lower cowling (the bolt that shows zip ties holding it on now.) I had no luck finding an easy out, but ended up buying a Craftsman "Drill Out." Pretty much the same concept.

Still no luck. Damn thing is stuck in there, have tried heat, tapping, drill out, and no success.

Am i best off taking it to a professional, or just hacking away with a drill bit and hope it comes loose?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great post evallarata1, it's members like you that make this site one of the best with a wealth of information and help many members get here and keep them coming back for more. :thumbsup: rep will be sent. :thumbsup:

BTW OP, Sears has the extractors that's where I got mine.

bloo
I tried that method, and still no luck. This bolt must be seized or rusted completely in the bike. Thanks for everyones help, but this one is an impossible fix without help. If i need it rethreaded, do i need to take it to an auto shop? welding shop? Engineering shop? Maybe the local dealership? Appreciate any help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts