Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, Im Rich and Im new here. I just bought a 07 ZX-10R (I'm not a new rider btw) and I am looking to invest around $5,000 into the motor (over time of course) to beef it up but I don't know where to begin other than a new exhaust system and a power commander and things like that but as far as internal engine work I am totally clueless. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to squeeze some more pony's and torque out of the motor? and where I can look at some stuff online? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
if you want max power for 5K you could get a turbo.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
There's this great feature called the "search" button...use it! Do some research of your own, ask some questions based on research...I didn't know shit about zx10's when I got mine, but now, because I did my homework, ive got my motor, mostly out, doing some work on it, and I'll put I back together today.

For 5k, I'd supercharge mine

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
head\cams :thumbsup: good tune:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Shift_Nashville- yeah obviously there is a search button but i have not really found any thing that good, hence why i would ask the question.

yeah i agree that a turbo would be nice but Im active duty Army and get paid garbage. I was talking about spending the money on little things over time. I was thinking about getting the heads port & polished, exhaust, power commander... etc stuff like that. dose anyone know of any good webdites where they would sell "bolt on" racing heads and things of that nature?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do beleive I found a pretty good website. zxzone. com and aperaceparts. com. i only browsed it for a few min but it looks like they do major engine work and sell internal engine racing parts.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
valve springs and retainers, get the rev limiter raised, change the cams, deck the head, rods/pistons, port/polish, full exhaust system, velocity stacks, get a reeeeeeeally good tune on the bike.

drop a tooth on the front sprocket, add 2 on the back. put in Rifleman's 1/5 throttle insert.

Also, get brakes. much better brakes. and suspension.
Brembo brakes all around and Ohlins/Racetech or the like for suspension.

then buy a full leather suit, gaunlet gloves, race boots and buy a few track days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks OP. i dont plan on racing at all... Im just one of those guys thats has to have the most badass everything i guess. now what would you think about getting all of the above? the turbo and all the engine parts?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I think you would be well over your 5k budget, but you could unlock an absurd amount of power because the motor could handle the turbo and such. if you plan to turbo, do not deck the head though. you need to get turbo pistons and such for lower compression. dont need velocity stacks with with a turbo either, or a full exhaust system

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
For 5 grand you should be able to build a 2mm engine with a head build....

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Thanks OP. i dont plan on racing at all... Im just one of those guys thats has to have the most badass everything i guess. now what would you think about getting all of the above? the turbo and all the engine parts?
Make sure you know what you are doing before you combine major power adders with internal engine work ... The internal engine work has to match what you are doing with the power adders, or else.

Turbo or supercharger should use lower compression pistons. Turbos and especially centrifugal superchargers only have their main effect at high revs. If combined with high lift long duration cams that are also oriented towards high RPM power then sure, you'll have a ton of power on top, but it'll be relatively weak down low. In the OEM automotive world, turbochargers are usually kept relatively small so that they'll start developing boost at moderate revs, and the cams on turbo engines are normally relatively mild, oriented towards making torque right off the bottom. Sure, the mild cam will restrict it some on top but if the turbo is already there, it's easier to just bump up the boost pressure a little to compensate. Forced-induction engines usually don't want much overlap between intake opening and exhaust closing.

Then there's all the mundane stuff to consider. Turbo etc add more potential failure points that can cause a breakdown on the road. Your insurance company might not be too happy about major power adders and may refuse to provide coverage (I know that's the case in my area). If you live in an area that has periodic emissions inspection for motorcycles (most don't, but there are some!) maintaining at least cosmetic emissions compliance with a turbo engine will be ... interesting. If you live in an area where cities and towns have been cracking down on motorcycle noise (and there are lots of those) then that's another consideration.

My gen 1 is nearing 70,000 km and someone on a GSXR1000 was beating me at the drag strip on top end. That's not allowed to happen, so I'm mulling over freshening mine up over this coming winter. But if I decide to do it, mine is going to be a stock-appearing, stock-sounding, stock exhaust, catalyst still in place, all-motor build. Tentatively thinking 13.5:1 Wossner pistons, Web cams, titanium valve retainers, suitable valve springs for those cams, probably epoxy high-velocity head work (I've done it on another engine and have had good luck with it - shifts the powerband down in the revs to a more useful range). Already has all short velocity stacks, Power Commander, secondary butterflies out, ignition timing mechanically advanced 3 degrees (I will probably put this back to stock given the higher compression). Looks stock to a cop, looks stock to the insurance company ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've only had mine a week, but I've been looking into 10Rs for a bit. From your posts, my (inexperienced) opinion would be 1) 1/5 throttle mod 2) front sprocket+speedo-healer 3)check your SGLI 4) slip-on 5) power commander. This shouldn't cost an unreasonable amount, especially of you can find the can and power commander for a decent price. All of this assuming you already have a good set of gear :)

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Please please please read the book that Go Faster just wrote because he is absolutely correct. Yes, we can tell you all the things to do, but you have to make sure they all go together and you dont just start throwing together random parts that end up in blowing your motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts