Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been a while since I have posted on here. Mainly cause my 14R has been getting all my attention the last couple years. The 10 has been running like a champ. Even walked a couple buddys on gen 4's a few weeks ago (Mainly cause i'm lighter than my buddys).

Long story short, my PCIII hasn't been seeing my tps sensor for a VERY long time, so it has been stuck at about 12.6.1. I decided to mess with it last night. I found that my dumbass hooked the TPS plug from the PC to the wrong place. :headshake:. I put my old map in from after my motor was built. It wasn't seeing TP so I went in and recalibrated the TPS in the PCIII, or tried too anyway.

Went to test ride and it's still not right. It idle's fine, but as soon as I give it any throttle in gear it acts like it's flooding it. I will try to put just a zero map in tonight and see what it does, but i'm thinking my wide open numbers in the PCIII aren't what they should be.

It's been so long since I have messed with a PCIII I have no idea what the wide open number "should" be.

Does anyone know off the top of their head a round about number should be close to? I"m going to try and recalibrate it tonight. I just hate having to crack the throttle. Or better yet, who knows which wires go where if I hook a 9V battery up? That would make it a lot easier.

Hope all is well with everyone! :hello:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I couldn't figure out what you looking for. Are you calibrating in the set throttle position window in PC3? Like reading at zero and at WOT?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Do you have the 9V battery accessory for the PCIII? You need that so you can set the TPS position in the PCIII software without the bike running. Otherwise, just don't be scared and hold it WOT for a second to set the value while the bike is running. If I remember right, around "25000" is WOT. Start with a zero map if you have any doubt.
Also, on the TPS wires, its not uncommon to have problems with the wire tap. You are much better off taking the time to solder it. And this may sound obvious, but make sure you are connecting to the lower TPS sensor for the primaries, NOT the one for the secondary butterflies.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,733 Posts
Hi Bg! Haven't seen ya on the board in awhile! :hello:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you have the 9V battery accessory for the PCIII? You need that so you can set the TPS position in the PCIII software without the bike running. Otherwise, just don't be scared and hold it WOT for a second to set the value while the bike is running.
Should be able to do it without the 9V and still not have a need to go WOT with the bike running. If I remember, set zero / closed throttle value first with the bike running. If you mess with your idle screw then the zero changes and should be reset again. I left the PC3 set position window open and hit the kill switch and went WOT it will read. If I remember I did it either that way or leave window open and turn key off to shut the bike off and then go WOT and turn the key back on. It will register and just have to read the number at WOT and enter manually after starting the bike to stick.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't figure out what you looking for. Are you calibrating in the set throttle position window in PC3? Like reading at zero and at WOT?
Sorry, like John said below, i'm looking for the round about value of wide open. Mine is right over 32000 now. Just wondered how far off it is.

Do you have the 9V battery accessory for the PCIII? You need that so you can set the TPS position in the PCIII software without the bike running. Otherwise, just don't be scared and hold it WOT for a second to set the value while the bike is running. If I remember right, around "25000" is WOT. Start with a zero map if you have any doubt.
Also, on the TPS wires, its not uncommon to have problems with the wire tap. You are much better off taking the time to solder it. And this may sound obvious, but make sure you are connecting to the lower TPS sensor for the primaries, NOT the one for the secondary butterflies.
I don't have one, so I was going to make one. I just to know which 2 holes the 9v needs to plug into for power. There is nothing tapped. The PCIII plugs directly into the TPS and the main harness.

Hi Bg! Haven't seen ya on the board in awhile! :hello:
Whats up man!!! I'm still around. Pop in from time to time, but for the most part everything going on is 4th gen stuff. I'm still stuck old school. :badteeth:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I'll be damned. I figured I would check my fuel pump since I thought it had been sounding a little different lately. As soon as I pulled my pump out I saw the problem. The rubber grommet that seals the fuel pump to the bowl or whatever you call it was torn in half and sitting all crooked.

Well since I have to ride out to the lake tomorrow I figured I would see if I could rig it for now. I had a piece of hose from a siphon pump that fit the OD of the fuel pump but not the ID of the "bowl" part. So I dug through a box of old stuff and found what I think is one of the hoses from the pair valve. And what do you know it fit over the siphon hose and fit good and right inside the bowl. And wala!! She's running like a champ again! Lol it took that long for me to finally fix my TPS issue. Now I can actually tune my damn bike! I'm ready to see if she will make over 170 now! Auto part Metal Wire Cable Automotive fuel system Small appliance Machine Fuel pump Gas

Edit: And if anyone does notice the wires are switched on the second one, don't worry already figured that one out. Smh. Got a little ahead of myself. Lol

·
Registered
997 Posts
yup, had mine and a buddies Busa do the same thing..............mainly from letting the methanol/gas mix sit in the tank.

I like your fix though!!! AWESOME

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Whats up man!!! I'm still around. Pop in from time to time, but for the most part everything going on is 4th gen stuff. I'm still stuck old school. :badteeth:
:+1: We are both in the Same Boat I still have to build my 1st Gen ZX10R but the ZX14R is making it hard to do that as you know why already why. :wink:

Bloo

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yup, had mine and a buddies Busa do the same thing..............mainly from letting the methanol/gas mix sit in the tank.

I like your fix though!!! AWESOME

It is really weird. Thankfully it's good now. I can't complain though. 70k miles on this thing and that's still the 2nd fuel pump.

:+1: We are both in the Same Boat I still have to build my 1st Gen ZX10R but the ZX14R is making it hard to do that as you know why already why. :wink:

Bloo

Haha the struggle is real!! Man the 14R's are just monsters! How are you liking yours? I just finally got the woolich cable for my bike. Now I can borrow my buddy's stuff and tune through my ecu. Did you get a pipe yet?

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
peeped this from google. Looks right, I havent had a pciii in a few years, but I think this was how the 9V connector looked.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yep that's the right plug, I went and looked at mine. Positive wire is on the same side as the latch.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Tid bit I learned a while back also, Ill have to go back and check it to see if Im right, I believe if you move the negative wire to the latch side of the plug, its the connection to use the quickshifter function. You would just need to put some kind of switch that detects shift pressurpressure or a button you depress

1 - 13 of 13 Posts