Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Need some options on front forks

708 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  WYMAN 10-R 
#1 ·
Since the riding season is wrapping up for me this year im going to be ripping the bike apart and do all the things i have be putting off, like tune up, pc3, removing the exhaust valve and so on. one of the projects i have in mind is getting all of the gold off of my 05. the brakes and the rotors will not be a problem as they are getting powder coated. I also want to powder coat the upper part of the front forks. now comes the question. if i full loosen both the triple clamps will the forks slide in and out smoothly enough that if i powered coat them, when it goes back together they will not get scathed, or is it a tight fit. if so i know that the 06 SE came with all black forks will those swap over with out a problem, what about just the tops of the forks on the SE.

#2 ·
the forks in the triples are pretty tight. im sure you could use a large flat head screw driver and pry the clamps apart.

powder will add some thickness to the tubes. the SE forks are either anodized or painted because i can still see the metal texture through the finish

good luck

#3 ·
hey man,
I powdercoated my forks black on my 2006.
it made them a little bit thicker so I just had to pry open the triple a little.....just be careful sliding them back on so they do not scratch!
made it look alot better.

while they were apart I added new seals and heavier Oil since I am MAN size. came out nice!!

BTW: man size = 200lb and above!!

#5 ·
ok sounds good, one last off topic question while im here, i know what tools it takes to get the forks apart but do the brake calpers take any special tools to take apart?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.