Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started the CBP hiring process about 2 years ago and I just got the call of a job offer, YAY (Now I may throw up, they give me 2 weeks to report
)

I was given a few choices, all S/W Texas as GS-5

Brownsville
Del Rio
Laredo
Pharr
Rio Grande

Any thought's on living cost, school systems, crime, housing, job market for the spouse, and recreation/ hunting, fishing, hiking and anything else you know

Yea the roads are going to suck compared to here but I may sell my bike (and get a supermoto) or make it track tool

I'd like to give them my choice by tomorrow so speed counts, right now i'm leaning toward Del Rio or Brownsville

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Del RIo sux...bunch a drugs there

My mother inlaw lives in Pharr. That towns not as bad...but it does have a great church to go to.

Brownsville isn't far from Pharr. Pharr is about
man...I dont think Id wanna live at any of those places, but thats me.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
Del RIo sux...bunch a drugs there

My mother inlaw lives in Pharr. That towns not as bad...but it does have a great church to go to.

Brownsville isn't far from Pharr. Pharr is about
man...I dont think Id wanna live at any of those places, but thats me.

Don't kid yourself Hill, Drugs are everywhere (probaly even in your Church)... :lol: and so are Churches. :dontknow:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
busaforhire said:
Don't kid yourself Hill, Drugs are everywhere (probaly even in your Church)... :lol: and so are Churches. :dontknow:
Im talking about where the drug runners run the town and kill the chief of police then the cheif to be, and half the police squad and nobody does anything about it.

its not something to joke around about IMO. But the church comment was funny...:headshake :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I take it that CBP = border patrol. Well you are in for a rude awakening my friend, i wouldn't even worry about the drugs part, go ahead and stock pile some protection, take cripsin's invetory that he posted very seriously. I have talked with some border patrol and its not a picnic. Anything below San Antonio and your in for a treat. Went to S. Padre for a weekend back in july, my girlfriend refused to stay in brownsville b/c of all the cirme and crap.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Do you have kids in school? If they will go to public school you probably don't want to got to any of those places.

Laredo is the worse. Laredo is off limits to military personel if that is any indication. It is very hot and dry and not close to anything.

Brownsville, Pharr and Rio Grande City are part of part of the Rio Grand Valley. Rio Grande City is a hole. Brownsville only has a Honda dealership but is bigger and next door to South Padre Island. Pharr is probably the best of the three, next door to McAllen which has a Kawasaki dealer.

Del Rio is also hot as hell and in the middle of nowhere.

To check out the public schools go hereAEIS Reports

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have a cousin living in Brownsville. She raised her son there. She is a teacher. She loves it. They seem to be in a growth cycle right now. Del Rio would NOT be a choice for me. Neither would Laredo.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
You'd probably be better off in Mexico. The Mexicans down there can at least make it. We get the dregs up here. If it is any indication, the school in Browsville are 98% Mexican, Laredo 98%, Rio Grande City 99% and Pharr 99%.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
swjohnsey said:
You'd probably be better off in Mexico. The Mexicans down there can at least make it. We get the dregs up here. If it is any indication, the school in Browsville are 98% Mexican, Laredo 98%, Rio Grande City 99% and Pharr 99%.
Let see. when i went to grade school. My school was 90% white. I lived. I hope you not talking for all people in texas.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
What do you think makes all those towns the pits, the God damned water? You need to move to an area where Whites are the minority like Laredo or Washington, D.C.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
1rocket69 said:
I was given a few choices, all S/W Texas as GS-5

Brownsville
Del Rio
Laredo
Pharr
Rio Grande

Any thought's on living cost, school systems, crime, housing, job market for the spouse, and recreation/ hunting, fishing, hiking and anything else you know.
Given that none of the above is an option...

I'd do Brownsville first, Pharr second. The rest, not at all.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
swjohnsey said:
What do you think makes all those towns the pits, the God damned water? You need to move to an area where Whites are the minority like Laredo or Washington, D.C.

I'm just fine where i'm at. you need to go back to what ever planet you came from. Rocket69. what ever city you pick. good luck.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
rocket69 just ask a few questions. this is his thread and this my last reply. Over 25 years ago. I was the only one out here in the desert. Now i have the whole city around me. They must like my neighborhood. They came to me. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info guys

Well after doing a LOT of internet research (I about melted my DSL line
)and talking to some BP guys on a federal LE forum I called them this morning and told them my choice......

Laredo - no way bad gang problem and crossing to shop in Mexico is not safe, very busy 8-10K trucks crossing + passenger cars

Rio Grande - Hole of a town nothing there, Not too bad crime wise but not my choice

Brownsville - Too big of a town (I'm a small town kind of guy)with large gang population in the schools, high crime rate, plus close enough to the coast that Hurricanes may be a problem

Pharr - Smaller than Brownsville, decent duty station but the gang problem is headed that way (this from a BP guy) said they've stepped up enforcement in Brownsville and it's close enough that they are moving over there now

Cost of Living is pretty close in all of them, it's all South Texas----so it's going to hot DAHHH, and anywhere you go in S/Texas there will be more Hispanic than whiteboys, if that bothered me I wouldn't take the job since 90% of the people i'll be dealing with will be Hispanic. I'm a hillbilly country boy but not a racist, If I don't like you it's because of you (and what you did to me) not your skin (be good to me and my family and we'll get along) and i'll treat you the same

So it's Del Rio - small town (about 45K) my town has about 60K, decent school system for the kids, not a bad gang problem and crossing to Mexico to shop is pretty safe. They got a aggressive PD, small A/F base close by even got a SuperWalmart YAY, Lake Amistad has good fishing, hiking,etc. Big Bend NP is about 2 hrs away and anything they don't have in town Road trip on the Weekend about 3hr to S/A

I'll be leaving the 23rd to Del Rio for 3weeks then they'll fly me back to GA for school about 4 1/2 months at the Federal LE training center in Brunswick

Big decision for me and the family to pull stakes and move but if i'd stayed in the Marines (which I regret for getting out) we would've moved 2 or 3 times already
First year will be tough I'm taking a big paycut but in three years i'll be back to what I'm making now
My grandfather used to tell me having a job you enjoy is worth 4 or 5 bucks a hr and now I believe him, factory work is just not for me and If I don't take this job I'll always 2nd guess my choice

I'll keep my bike untill I get there and check out the roads if they don't have anything that's fun to ride i'll either make it a trackbike and go show Hillcountry how we ride in NC or I'll sell it and get me a supermoto

1 - 20 of 34 Posts