Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals, I need some help with this one. Let me first preface it by saying I am not even sure I have a problem. If I do, though, I will definitely need help because I am fresh out of ideas!

I have an 07 ZX10R Special Edition. This thing is like sex on wheels. I love this bike more than any I have ever owned and I have had about 19 over the past 20 something years! Enough with the happy part and on with the WTF part.

Last night on my way home I was coming up to my road so I slowed for the corner, pulled in the clutch to downshift, and the bike died. I figured, well, it happens. Going from high RPM's to idle can sometimes result in an engine stall. So I ignored it, popped the clutch and it started back up. No worries.

This morning on my way in to work, I passed a couple of cars in a "slightly aggressive manner," to ensure I got around them. When I pulled back into my lane and let off the throttle the bike died again. This time the bike was still in gear and I was not touching the clutch. No throttle. Lights were still on. Nothing flashing on the instrument panel. No odd noises. Nothing but the drag induced by the engine in 6th gear. I pulled in the clutch, waited about 5 seconds and let the clutch out again. The bike roared back to life as if nothing happened. Now I am having my WTF moment at around 70 mph!

A little history: I put in a new race stator and rectifier about 6-7 months ago when they both toasted on me. I changed the battery (because it still had original in it) while I was in there just because. Otherwise, the bike has been running like a nymphomaniac ape in the presence of a rapist! Is this something I need to worry about? Aside from the aspect of losing power at any given speed without warning... Does anyone know what would cause this? Gremlins? Bad dreams? Soiled pants?! I have no idea what would cause this and I cannot 'force' it to do it on command (such as revving up and then suddenly dropping RPM's).

Can anyone help me with this please? :suicide: I love this bike and I would hate for it to be anything drastic. I will start saving just in case it is though!

:dontknow: HELP!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
1. Any additional aftermarket electronics? (i.e. HIDs, L.E.D.'s, PCIII)
2. Check for corrosion on the battery?
3. What does the battery voltage read with the bike off?

Check your main power leads from the battery to the main fuse, to the starter. A voltage drop in those things you will have this problem. If a wire corrodes it adds to resistance there fore building heat and dropping voltage. Clean all main power leads, and grounds. Coat it with di-electric grease after.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Any additional aftermarket electronics? (i.e. HIDs, L.E.D.'s, PCIII)
2. Check for corrosion on the battery?
3. What does the battery voltage read with the bike off?

Check your main power leads from the battery to the main fuse, to the starter. A voltage drop in those things you will have this problem. If a wire corrodes it adds to resistance there fore building heat and dropping voltage. Clean all main power leads, and grounds. Coat it with di-electric grease after.

Hope this helps!
As far as aftermarket stuff goes, I bought this from a guy who did a lot to it (lucky me) but I am not sure I know everything he did. I do know of the following though:
Power Commander
Kickstand switch disabled (first thing I checked because it has got me before)
New turn signals in the front and back - and he did a good job on them

I will check out the voltage tonight when I get home to see what it is but the last time I had the seat off, maybe a couple weeks ago, everything was super clean still. Now that I think of it, I drove through some intense rain the other day but only for about an hour. It was bad enough that my seat was soaked so that might have been it. I will check everything out again anyway, just to make sure, and let you know what I come up with. It is supposed to read nothing shy of 14 volts, right?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you still have your kickstand switch connected? If so you may try bypassing the switch and see if helps..
:+1: Good call on this one. It is not what is wrong with it this time but it got me in the past. I was about ready to pull my hair out! The guy that had the bike before me just took the spring off and flipped the switch up. Over time, it must have vibrated down and engaged just enough to cause an intermittent fault, similar to this. Since then I have safety wired it up. Is there a way to remove that switch all together? Something that will not leave me with any dangling wires?

Thank you for your help!

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
:+1: Good call on this one. It is not what is wrong with it this time but it got me in the past. I was about ready to pull my hair out! The guy that had the bike before me just took the spring off and flipped the switch up. Over time, it must have vibrated down and engaged just enough to cause an intermittent fault, similar to this. Since then I have safety wired it up. Is there a way to remove that switch all together? Something that will not leave me with any dangling wires?

Thank you for your help!
Absolutely! Cut the wires and tie the 2 going to the bike together. Even though your switch isn't moving it could still cause it like mine did. Just twist the 2 wires on the bike side together and thats it.:thumbsup: You can also cut them up close to the plug and put a connector on them. Thats what I did.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Absolutely! Cut the wires and tie the 2 going to the bike together. Even though your switch isn't moving it could still cause it like mine did. Just twist the 2 wires on the bike side together and thats it.:thumbsup: You can also cut them up close to the plug and put a connector on them. Thats what I did.
:+1: on the sidestand wires. How is the idle? If it is to low it will die like that should be at 1100.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
As far as aftermarket stuff goes, I bought this from a guy who did a lot to it (lucky me) but I am not sure I know everything he did. I do know of the following though:
Power Commander
Kickstand switch disabled (first thing I checked because it has got me before)
New turn signals in the front and back - and he did a good job on them
I will check out the voltage tonight when I get home to see what it is but the last time I had the seat off, maybe a couple weeks ago, everything was super clean still. Now that I think of it, I drove through some intense rain the other day but only for about an hour. It was bad enough that my seat was soaked so that might have been it. I will check everything out again anyway, just to make sure, and let you know what I come up with. It is supposed to read nothing shy of 14 volts, right?
Thanks again for your help.
Bike off, I think it's suppose to be 12.8 or higher.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,760 Posts
Idle should be set at 1,150rpm +-150. Check that as well. Sidestand switch can also cause the issue. In my case, the switch itself wasn't faulty, but it did rotate forward in the mount and it allowed the switch to be contacted whenever there was a jarring force on it from the motion of the bike (like over bumps, hard braking, etc.). Sucked hardcore when it happened in a wheelie one time. :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
check your tip over sensor in your tail...my buddies gen2 would do the same thing under heavy accel. because is was seated wrong or something..so give that a look.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This was happening to my bike after installing a PCV. Check to see what software version it has. If its not the latest then it might have to do with the intermittent cylinder drop bug they had in the previous software.

Sometimes I would have 1-3 cylinders drop, other times the bike would just die when coming to a stop. It was more prominent after hard acceleration.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello again All. I checked the voltage last night. It was 12.6V with the bike off and 14.6 with the bike running at idle. I am glad about that too because I just changed the stator and rectifier less than a year ago! I will fix the kickstand potential as soon as I get a minute, just in case the Gremlins want to play with it later. As far as the tip sensor goes, would that cause an intermittent fault? I always figured it would be all or nothing on those. I have no idea what software version I have but I will check that this weekend too. Do you suppose it could be the cold? I am in South Florida and it has been in the lower 40's and upper 30's. Not something we see a lot of around here. Could it be the temperature that is screwing with the sensors or something? The bike has always run cold for me. The idle is a little low, but still around 1000-1100. I had not thought about the cold until this morning while my nads were rattling against the tank! Brr! It has been a while since I rode in these temps! Anyway, could that goof up the mixture even with the Power Commander on it?

Thanks again everyone. You guys are awesome!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
While we are on tgis topic, i might as well chime in with a question.....
My friend, 05 10R riding down hwy, bike dies, but still has electric meaning headlights blinkers gauges, etc...bike will crank, but doesnt start...i tell him to check he sidestand switch first as that seems to cause all sorts of random issues that you wouldnt think is related to a kickstand....

Another ***mechanic*** buddy of his says "bike wouldnt turn over at all if sidestand switch was faulty"...is this true? They both disregarded my suggestion, i just said ok whatever what do i know..........

·
Registered
19 Posts
My friend, 05 10R riding down hwy, bike dies, but still has electric meaning headlights blinkers gauges, etc...bike will crank, but doesnt start...i tell him to check he sidestand switch first as that seems to cause all sorts of random issues that you wouldnt think is related to a kickstand....

Another ***mechanic*** buddy of his says "bike wouldnt turn over at all if sidestand switch was faulty"...is this true? They both disregarded my suggestion, i just said ok whatever what do i know..........
They are correct,motor wont turn over with a faulty sidestand switch.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

To also add to this, check the battery terminals and wires coming to your batter. Can be something intermittent. My gen 1 was doing the same thing and it wound up being that one of my main wires was bad.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hello again All. I checked the voltage last night. It was 12.6V with the bike off and 14.6 with the bike running at idle. I am glad about that too because I just changed the stator and rectifier less than a year ago! I will fix the kickstand potential as soon as I get a minute, just in case the Gremlins want to play with it later. As far as the tip sensor goes, would that cause an intermittent fault? I always figured it would be all or nothing on those. I have no idea what software version I have but I will check that this weekend too. Do you suppose it could be the cold? I am in South Florida and it has been in the lower 40's and upper 30's. Not something we see a lot of around here. Could it be the temperature that is screwing with the sensors or something? The bike has always run cold for me. The idle is a little low, but still around 1000-1100. I had not thought about the cold until this morning while my nads were rattling against the tank! Brr! It has been a while since I rode in these temps! Anyway, could that goof up the mixture even with the Power Commander on it?

Thanks again everyone. You guys are awesome!

the Tip over sensor activating will only kill the motor, all electronics will/should remain off if this is the case.

good luck. Diagnosing problems sucks ass. :headshake

·
Registered
371 Posts
Random suggestion-When I bought my 06, the FI light was on and it would not idle, and would stall at stop signs, or when slowing down. Previous owner was not sure why.

I checked the kickstand switch after advise from guys here. Made it better, sort of. Then I found the idle adjustment knob on the left side, adjusted the idle and that seems to have fixed it. FI lite was the exh valve motor. Fixed it separately.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello everyone.
Here is where I am this morning. On the ride in, bike started just fine... ran good while it was warming up... I got on her and she died. It took a couple of start attempts before she fired up but it did start and ran fine again afterwards. The left exhaust pipe had more "whatever" (not smoke but condensation, steam, exhaust, whatever comes out on cooler mornings-you guys know what I'm talking about) than on the right side. Otherwise, it seemed to run good. I opened her up to pass a few people and everything was fine. There was a little vibration, though; more so than usual. This has me flat worried something serious has happened, or is happening! I am leaning more towards the tip over switch now or the Power Commander update.
How do I test the tip over switch? Just follow the directions in the service manual? Anything to watch out for? The instructions seemed a little vague and very lacking in the diagnosis aspect.
What about the Power Commander update. What is involved in that? I have never messed with a Power Commander, nor did I even know they would need updates. Is there a place I can go to get idiot lessons on that without bothering you all too much? I will go to their website after I post this to see what I can learn.
Oh, one more thing. Is the kickstand switch normally opened or normally closed? Basically, if I cut the wires, do I splice them together or make sure they stay separated. I am going to completely eliminate that as a factor so I don't have to worry about anymore.
Again, thank you all for your help. I don't know what I would do without you guys! Other than suffer trying to figure this out by myself! So, thanks a million!!!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello again All

Update on my little problem... My idle was the culprit. At least as near as I can tell anyway. The engine is now running smoother than ever. No more engine cut-outs. No other problems.

I have to admit, I never would have guessed that the idle could cause this much trouble but now I see how much it really affects.

Thank you all for your help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts