Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, i'm hoping a tire/suspension expert will be able to give me some pointers. I am running a set of Michelin 2cts (diff than shown in pic) and while i'm able to crank the bike over on to the far edge of grip the wear on the tire ; the wear is uniform however "Point B" (on the tread) seems to be in a bit higher position than "Point A"
so there is a little bit of a "ridge" if you rub your hand over the tire. Now I m pretty sure that this is a sign that I need to tweak my suspension as the wearing should be even.. Any advice ? See pic for which "points" i'm talking about.

PS, ignore the ginormous chicken strip, that is a brand new tire brought home after the Dragon Supercorsa gobbled up a nail :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
updated, pic should be up, from what I have researched so far, it is a result of compression damping needing to be stiffened up and the rebound not being in sync, will adjust and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
The Dragon Supercorsa I had on the back of my bike was the same way, but it was BAD. You could see the ridge/lip from 5 feet away. It was a track take off from Felix el Gato as well but I could never get rid of that lip in the tread.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Under inflation, too low on the starting pressures , not generating enough tire heat.

Theres a difference between cold,warm and hot tires and this is detrimental to how you set up your suspension.

Starting and running pressures need to be a consistant number before you can evaluate a tire, if you are not reaching 200F with your tire then it is hard to determine which way to adjust your suspension other than for compliancy and ride comfort, certainly not for grip as this comes from a combination of all three things.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you look at any drive tyre, be it a car or bike, the edge (point b) always becomes feathered and lifts slightly. Under acceleration when that area is in the contact patch the rubber at point a is being dragged toward the tread groove (stretched if you like) while pont b is being pushed away ... don't know how else to describe it. This is part of the reason for using slicks on the track. Not to say you don't have a problem whaich could make it worse. However it is more than likely normal tyre wear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The rebound being off is usually the cause of the high/low ridges on the edges of the sipes.

Try taking a click or two of rebound out and see if the ridge goes away.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks for the feedback guys, my psi hasn't been too low, i've kept it at 33 front and 32 rear. I have stiffened up the rear shock rebound damping and the compression damping (3/4th turn) as well; it feels a lot better (more stable) but I haven't had the chance to really test it out fully yet to see if the wear is even now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts