Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been talking to the guys at my Florida kawi shop and I asked them if the 2009 instrument cluster would fit the other years ZX-10s because factory part numbers had not changed. They gave it some thought and came to the conclusion that if the part numbers are the same then yes they are interchangeable. Now, I just need someone who has access to a new 2008/09 cluster and another year's ZX10R bike to try it out and see if they are able to be interchanged. Anyone up for it? Anyone already do it? Please, if you haven't literally done it, I don't need to know. I got that opinion at Kawasaki already. Just the facts and a pic showing it in your non-2008/2009 bike. That's what I am asking for.

Thanks

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well... I dont want to ask you who told you that all 10R gens have the same part # for the meter assy, but they do not.

1st gen: 25031-0045
2nd : 25031-0093
3rd : 25031-0202

They can be adapted but hard work is involved.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well... I dont want to ask you who told you that all 10R gens have the same part # for the meter assy, but they do not.

1st gen: 25031-0045
2nd : 25031-0093
3rd : 25031-0202

They can be adapted but hard work is involved.
Actually the 2nd gen and 3rd Gens have the same electrical signals and that should be a direct swap if the mounting points are right and the 3rd Gen has a different color Gauge template, so it should have a different PART#....first Gen is a whole different story you don't want to get into most likely :badteeth::wink:

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the kawasaki parts guy told me at T.C. kawasaki in Ft. Pierce and went in the back and asked the mechanic working on my bikes if it would work.. Again this is why I wanted someone to physically prove or disprove the fit.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
the kawasaki parts guy told me at T.C. kawasaki in Ft. Pierce and went in the back and asked the mechanic working on my bikes if it would work.. Again this is why I wanted someone to physically prove or disprove the fit.
We had a member on here before that had both Gens(1st Gen wont work :headshake) but I did all the research and said they are compatible hook them up and test but I think it wasn't a priority or scared :lol:. I think some are scared something will blow up or something but I am telling you if I owned a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen 10R I would not hesitate to hook them up either way.....this is from a guy that was the 1st to modify a 2nd Gen Cluster on a 1st Gen that I run even to this day. :wink:....after MAJOR MODIFICATION :badteeth:

either way good luck with someone trying :badteeth:

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
We had a member on here before that had both Gens(1st Gen wont work :headshake) but I did all the research and said they are compatible hook them up and test but I think it wasn't a priority or scared :lol:. I think some are scared something will blow up or something but I am telling you if I owned a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen 10R I would not hesitate to hook them up either way.....this is from a guy that was the 1st to modify a 2nd Gen Cluster on a 1st Gen that I run even to this day. :wink:....after MAJOR MODIFICATION :badteeth:

either way good luck with someone trying :badteeth:
show off
jk :thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
show off
jk :thumbsup:
what's up lucky? :thumbsup:...no not off topic I really love my 2nd Gen Cluster on my 04 ZX10R. :mrgreen:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Basically you must compare the 2 wiring diagrams (06 and 08) to check if the wires on the gauge socket are IDENTICAL EVEN IF THEY HAVE THE SAME NUMBER OF PINS. If not don't bother... And the gear indicator won't work on the 06 easily either.

An yeah bloo is the best in wiring :badteeth:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Basically you must compare the 2 wiring diagrams (06 and 08) to check if the wires on the gauge socket are IDENTICAL EVEN IF THEY HAVE THE SAME NUMBER OF PINS. If not don't bother... And the gear indicator won't work on the 06 easily either.

He has a gen1.
He´ll have to struggle with the wiring in either case.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts

I already did the comparison between the 2 it's out there somewhere in thread land on this forum and concluded they are the same electrically and PIN wise, plus Connector.

The Gear Indicator also "Might" work as there is NO special input line for Gear Indicator between both Gens so the Cluster may work by Tach and Speed plus or maybe it needs a timing circuit or control line from the ECU input control line in conjunction :dontknow: but I do know some Gear Indicators work on TACH and SPEED only like the Acumen so it's possible as ALL GENs of course have that but ONLY the 08 Cluster might know how to take those signals and convert :wink:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I already did the comparison between the 2 it's out there somewhere in thread land on this forum and concluded they are the same electrically and PIN wise, plus Connector. :
Yeah, i forgot you did :thumbsup:

maybe it needs a timing circuit or control line from the ECU input control line in conjunction :
Let me see if i can verify that :wink:

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
what's up lucky? :thumbsup:...no not off topic I really love my 2nd Gen Cluster on my 04 ZX10R. :mrgreen:
of course you do.
I have been thinkin about doing the same lately.
But if I do that, then my custom dash will be a waste :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts