Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so when I bought my 04 10R this summer, It came with the Pirelli Diablo upercorsa's on them. Looking at pics of this tire brand new, It doesn't look like the groves in them are deep to begin with and from what I can understand this is a very sticky tire in the dry. I would say the tire has probably 50-60% tread left on it. Another thing is the guy opted to put 180's in the rear because he said he liked the handling of it.

I'm thinking of buying another set of tires to replace these although I could very well use these tires still for a bit more. I wanted to go with the DC 3's instead. From what i gather, the DC 3's would be one step below the diablo supercorsas that I already have. But I think the DC 3's would better suit my street riding needs and possible a time here and there at the track if i decide to next year. I look at the supercorsas as more of a track day tire with street riding as well. Correct me if i'm wrong here.

Another reason I want to change the tires is to change the size back to a 190 BUT i don't know if i should run the 50's or 55's. To add to the dilema, there's a local shop that has a REALLY good deal on the 50's for the DC 3's and i know i wont be able to get a better price on these any other time so i'm wondering if i should jump on this now or don't settle and do it right the first time and just get a set of 55's because i hear better things about going with a 55 than a 50.

I'd like to know what you guys think and would suggest in terms of the tire vs tire, size situation, and if i should jump on the deal for the 50 instead of a 55.

thanks!!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
50 series tire is a lot flatter than a 55 series tire, it definitely won't improve your handling, 190/55 is the best choice for your 6" rim, but even a 180/55 on a 6" rim is a lot better for handling at least, and is also cheaper

my friend with his 04 10R ditched the stock dunflops which had a 190/50 rear for a set of regular Pirelli Diablo Corsas with a 180/55 rear and it was a 100x better........night and day difference

190/50 is good for drag racing or wheelies I guess:dontknow:

·
Registered
618 Posts
The 55 series is a better tyre with a larger contact patch on the pavement,thats why they were designed,even more grip in corners and better turn in.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The diablo supercorsa is a true race tire and actually 2 steps above a DC3. The dragon supercorsa pro would fall in between these two. The DC3 is a street / track tire. The SC pro is their old race tire now marketed as a track tire.

I would watch the tires you have, as they will harden with heat cycles. The DC3 doesn't have this problem for the most part and would be a much better street tire, but still give plenty of grip.

Many people buy these tires as takeoffs after being used on the track, because they get them cheap.

I agree with the others about using a 190/55.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks guys, the info helped.. i figured the tires i have on there are a bit much for what i'm using them for right now so thats why i wanted to ditch them anyway.

So now that i'll be looking at a 55 tire, doesn't look like i can get that deal on those DC3's but there is a deal on the pilot power 2CT's in a 55.. how does the 2CT's compare with the DC3's? i know they're not as good but is the difference that significant?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
you'll get mixed reviews on those 2. The dc3 is an awesome tire, saved my a$$ more than a couple timescoming around a corner into gravel, very grippy. The guy I rude with loves his 2ct's but had them slip a couple times on him this summer(but they're on a gixxer, LOL) I think they're both in the same quality category but I've had great liuck with my pirelli's so why switch. Good luck, don't think you'll be disappointed either way you go

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
yeah both tyres are good I have the 2CT's and love them there great in the wet and warm up very fast and grip awesome, and you can lean those things for ever....

·
Registered
609 Posts
DC3 and CT2 are in the same category. I haven't used Michs in a while as I like Pirelli better. Biggest difference would be the profile of the tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts