Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... My helibars are in at my dads shop.... I"m going to pick them up and hopefully put them in this evening. One problem, I don't have a big enough wrench at home to get the steering head stem nut off. I need to know what size socket I'll need to get that baby off... I know it's 58lb.ft. torque, but the service manual doesn't list a size.... help will be appreciated...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Big Daddy said:
BD to the rescue!!!!:thumbsup: :lol:

Sorry I couldn't help Dawson-ZX don't get out til 4:30

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hmmm.... I just looked on Ron Ayers Microfiche and it said 28mm.....

It's the very top nut on the triple.... the one in plain view.... seems like 28mm is more rational cause I know it's right about 1 inch..... 28mm = 1.102inches....

did it change from 04/05 maybe?

92210-0097 is the steering head stem nut at the top of the triple for 04-05... it's a 28mm... this according to Ron Ayers

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
BD is correct. If it is an 04 or 05 it is 36mm. I remember having to go to Sears to get mine.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about the Ron Ayers Fiche though??? the Kawi dealer told me it was 28mm as well.... I think you guys are thinking of the one below the top triple....it's 35mm according to Ron Ayers...

·
Registered
537 Posts
the top nut takes a 36mm.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
We are talking about the nut in the center of the triple tree. If so it is 36mm.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
ya, its a big boy socket all right, i just checked mine sat and its 36mm.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I just did mine not too long ago when I put on my GPR and it is a 36mm, I think 28mm is the actual thread part of the stem.

Trust us, it is 36mm.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
its 36 fuggen mm!!!

now wheres my heart meds.

BD

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Big Daddy said:
its 36 fuggen mm!!!

now wheres my heart meds.

BD
Hey BD,
Take it easy on Dawson-ZX. If I didn't like him, I think that would be grounds for dismissal from the forum.... I mean doubting the superior BD!!!!!!!!!:bs:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
better safe than sorry cuz i have made 1 mistake since the turn of the century. :lol:

BD

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Deffinently 36 mm don't know why the micro fiche is wrong but it is 36 mm. Again it is 36 mm.

·
Registered
211 Posts
:deadhorse 36MM ......I bought mine at Sears, it fit, used it last week to put my Hyper pro on.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh, hey guys.... guess what I found out last night.... it's 36mm....

:fu2:

got my helibars on...all went well.... my fingers are sore from working in such a small maticulous space with all the little nuts and bolts.... and that damn left grip was a bit of a pain to get off the OEM bar...

thanks for the help!!!

btw: I think the stem itself is actually 28mm.... good thing I took both home from work....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You'll have to give me a bit.... I don't have a camera at home, so It'll be a few days...

the larger width of the helibar makes for alot less steering input and makes the front end feel VERY light through corners.... thinking I'm gonna need to take out some compression/rebound damping... in my personal opinion, they make the bike a bit easier to ride.... feels more "friendly" for lack of better terms (true, the 10R cant ever be friendly, she's a mean biatch)... all in all, I like them so far...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts