Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic says. I need to purchase a set of front discs and are looking at either Galfer or Armstrong

1) Any recommendations on either
2) Do i need to fit new pads - the pads i currently have are only about 500 miles old as the previous ones were toast and I didnt know that my discs were warped.

I have read that people say false economy not to replace pads as well - but why do you need to?

thoughts

Kwack

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I would say if your going with galfer dont get the gold pads if your running your stock rotors but you said there warped if I'm correct so I'd go with a complete galfer setup, the wave ones I have heard only good things about!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The discs I deffo need. Do I really need to get pads as well since my current pads are onyl 500 odd miles old?

·
Chairman of the Board
16,093 Posts
500 miles, I wouldnt. I would just make sure they were cleaned well before re-installing them them

·
Registered
241 Posts
I wouldn't do it if you are buying a set of expensive new rotors. Now if you were getting a screaming deal on someone else's used oem rotors and were trying to save pennies - sure.

If you do it, use a sanding block and smooth out any grooves and imperfections first.

Oh - BTW, there is a school of thought that says most 'warped' rotors actually have uneven deposits of pad material on them, and that removing said material will restore them. Not sure I buy into it, but WTF - try it and see. 'Specially if they're going into the garbage anway...

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
id get the rotor like you need, and leave the pads alone. they will wear evenly when the rotor are straight and after only 500 miles you have tons of life left in the pads

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will probably be getting Galfer discs so around the £280 mark or thereabouts. The pads are pretty new so will sand down. there arent any grooves or anything on them so cant really see teh need to get new ones.

By the way what is the reasoning behind new discs and new pads at same time

Cheers

Kwack

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Garth285 I believe has a set of OEM discs on here if your willing to go that route. He's a great member here and really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I just picked up Alth rotors for 172.08 shipped. I would pick these up before OEM if funds allow...these rotors are PUUURRRTTTYYYY!

·
Registered
241 Posts
By the way what is the reasoning behind new discs and new pads at same time

Kwack
A good portion of that is just because if someone needs new rotors, odds are the pads are pretty much shot as well. And they'll have grooves in them to match the old rotor.

Having new pads on bad rotors is a bit unusual :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Just me, but I wouldn't sand pads to flatten them to make them right for the new Disks.

The likelyhood of sanding grit getting imbedded in the pads, is too great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts