Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's grandfather has an old 1972 CT70H Honda and will let me restore and keep it but I don't know of any real good places to get parts or information. I know the 2nd gear or something is out that is why it has been sitting for some 15yrs or so in a shed since the last time it ran. This one has a pink slip and can be street legal and there was one on Ebay that sold for over $800 but without a pink slip, they are kinda like a trail bike. We are selling a Cushman Scooter 1962 right now that is rusted and also been in storage for over 15yrs and are getting all kinds of hits and there is still 9 more days to go and it will sell for over $1000 easy because the top bid right now is $760. He thought these bikes were just junk and just wanted to get them out of his shed. What do you guys think?

1. Should I restore it and use it for camping trips
2. Restore and Sell on Ebay
3. Sell on Ebay "as is" and take what we can get

If I do numbers 1 & 2 then I need help to find parts and information on old motorcycles :dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rocketracermike said:
i had a ct 70 when i was a kid. I think the hard part is the points and condser. junk yards is more likely you will find parts for it. a good project.
So, are you saying do #1 in the choices?

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Yes, Why not. it will be a pain to find the parts, but once you have it done. you will have something from the past that alot of people have started on. good luck.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
might want to talk to someone at your local bike shop. I mentioned to the guy we had an old bridgestone in the garage and he immediatly told me he knew people that collected them. I'd be willing to bet that I could either buy parts or sell the bike rather easily. Might be something worth looking into.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
cool find, man...
i guess it would depend on how much work/parts your needing...
i love searching thru salvage yards (when they let me)...
i'm sure sacramento has bike salvage yards...
i know of a good one in santa rosa, bit of a drive...

so i would say #1 or #3... wouldnt rebuild just to sell... and "little blue d" would groove on it...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Let your son putt around on it. It would be a good project for both of you.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
#3 f'sho

In my life experiences, I've found that Restorations, even small ones, are for people with both time and money.

If you really want to spend time with your little one and see him or her riding, fetch what you can for the 70cc and purchase crf50 from your local Honda dealer. New is almost always better and safer than old.

I will be purchasing a new 50cc for my oldest daughter for this years Christmas. With this model, you can opt for ATV size training wheel that mount through the center of the bike (very cool).

HTH
Phil

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
But its the experience of having to find parts and showing your son/daughter how to do it and the time you get to spend with them. Pass on your knowledge, not your money.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
1killer1liter said:
But its the experience of having to find parts and showing your son/daughter how to do it and the time you get to spend with them. Pass on your knowledge, not your money.
now thats some good father/son/daughter time!!...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You all have good points, I actually did think about what circusnuts said about selling it and get that new Honda 50cc for the kid. I really like that bike but didn't want to spend that much for it. If I sell this one "as is", than that's half the money right there. As far as time I have that right now so not an issue. Still don't know yet what I'll do with it but thanks guys for the input so far.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
i have a good friend thats restored 3 to near mint condition in the past few years. Actually he's a member but only has 4 posts( gpgofast ) shoot him an email if ya can through his profile and i'll email him as well.

BD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is a picture of my latest CT that I have redone. You're right in that there is quite a following. I use mine primarily as a pit bike at the races. Quite popular!!!

There are quite a few restoration websites available.

www.dratv.com
http://www.hondaminitrail.com/
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/nevc/
http://www.hondatrailbikes.com/

I have bought parts from them all and all are good to deal with. Mike Heron at hondatrailbikes is my favorite but they all seem to have a certain "niche".

Let me know if you need anything else.

GP

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reading the posts here I have to throw in some comments. My first CT that I restored 3 years ago, I used an engine out of my brothers 1972 CL70. A four speed manual that is the virtually the same motor as the CT70H. This motor was the FIRST thing I ever rebuilt as a kid. I was probably 11 or 12 years old when this motor LOCKED the tranny up. I had the engine apart probably 5 times trying to figure out what the problem was. I finally gave up on it, but 20 years later when I was rebuilding my first CT I went back to that engine and tried to figure out the locked up tranny problem. I had replaced the shift forks and the 1 gear that the fork rode on, but never the two together. I had all the parts to replace them both, but the disappointment of not being able to fix the problem thwarted my further attempts at fixing the motor. 27 years later and a whole bunch of experince later I was able to fix that broken tranny.

The best learning experience I ever had. I say restore it with your son.

GP

·
Registered
10 Posts
bluedevil said:
You all have good points, I actually did think about what circusnuts said about selling it and get that new Honda 50cc for the kid. I really like that bike but didn't want to spend that much for it. If I sell this one "as is", than that's half the money right there. As far as time I have that right now so not an issue. Still don't know yet what I'll do with it but thanks guys for the input so far.:thumbsup:

If you want to sell it and it's complete let me know and I will make a valid offer.

GP

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
gpgofast said:
Reading the posts here I have to throw in some comments. My first CT that I restored 3 years ago, I used an engine out of my brothers 1972 CL70. A four speed manual that is the virtually the same motor as the CT70H. This motor was the FIRST thing I ever rebuilt as a kid. I was probably 11 or 12 years old when this motor LOCKED the tranny up. I had the engine apart probably 5 times trying to figure out what the problem was. I finally gave up on it, but 20 years later when I was rebuilding my first CT I went back to that engine and tried to figure out the locked up tranny problem. I had replaced the shift forks and the 1 gear that the fork rode on, but never the two together. I had all the parts to replace them both, but the disappointment of not being able to fix the problem thwarted my further attempts at fixing the motor. 27 years later and a whole bunch of experince later I was able to fix that broken tranny.

GP
is ya sure bout dat esperience Willis :wink: Thanks Greg

BD

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gpgofast said:

GP
Thanks guy, that was really good info.:thumbsup: In fact the problem with the CT since the last time it ran was that 2nd gear was out. How much $$$$ you think it will be to replace that problem? And then of course there's the usuall wheels, exhaust, paint etc. Also, if a bike sits that long I'm not sure what motor problems it might have now.

By, the way nice pics of the restore, and I'll let you know if I just rather sell it when I make the final decission.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's kind of hard to say. It really depends on what it means by saying "2nd gear is out". You would need to disassemble the motor/tranny to determine the extent of the damage. Many of the parts are STILL available directley from Honda, but expect to pay a pretty penny for the parts. That said, you can usually find parted out motors on eBay and scavenge the transmision parts needed. It would also be a great time for a ring job, etc...

Be aware, the parts are expensive if you buy them new and the best way to accumulate parts would be to find a donor tranny. Also a three speed tranny will work, as well as the automatic clutch. The 4-speed manual CT's are generally more desireable, but engine parts are harder to come by used.

On my CT the wheels are original, just repainted, the exhaust is NEW Honda(got to love Honda, still stocking parts on 36 year old bikes!!!), the paint is House of Kolor Kandies(!!!) and looks original, fenders are new Honda, cables,seat and wiring reproductions, etc,etc...Just about everything you need is available to bring it back to new, BUT expect to pay MORE for parts than a new CRF50 COMPLETE would cost.

I love my CT though and wouldn't have any other pit bike by choice. GP

1 - 20 of 32 Posts