Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I'm selling my motor and need to drop it from the frame.
Everything was fine until I got to the motor bolts on the right side.
It looks like there's 2 crown nut looking things.
Anyone know how to get those off?
What tools I shoudl grab to get them off?
We're meeting up tommorrow so need help ASAP!
Thanks in advance.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
You need the special Kawasaki socket tool part number: 57001-1450. If you can get on one of the castellated parts with a hammer and a punch, you should be able to loosen the nuts a bit, especially if it's a one-time thing.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
Oops, that part number is for the tool for the Gen 2 & 3 nuts. It's probably the same for the Gen 1's, but I'm not positive on that.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
How is it that I get called on for help, I'm just some punk kid??? hahahaha

That nut is also called a castle nut... I actually made my own tool with a 24mm socket I went to the bench grinder and copied the pattern of that nut onto the socket to get it off.

I forgot how it was on the gen 1 but I think that nut goes on a bolt that you can stick a 8 or 10mm hex key in there right? try turning that hex key out and see if it will break the nut loose....

I have done the punch and hammer method as well, if you dont have a punch be easy with it but you can use a large flat head if you really need to get it out.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is it that I get called on for help, I'm just some punk kid??? hahahaha

That nut is also called a castle nut... I actually made my own tool with a 24mm socket I went to the bench grinder and copied the pattern of that nut onto the socket to get it off.

I forgot how it was on the gen 1 but I think that nut goes on a bolt that you can stick a 8 or 10mm hex key in there right? try turning that hex key out and see if it will break the nut loose....

I have done the punch and hammer method as well, if you dont have a punch be easy with it but you can use a large flat head if you really need to get it out.

Well for a punk kid you've taken the 10 motor apart more than anyone I know!
I used your cam numbers in my 04 and ended up with 3 CCS unlimited titles in 2008 on the midwest season.
I did do the riding though ;-)
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just did a motor swap on the first gen not long ago . Dont remember using any soecial tools to get the casle nuts off. Just need a some bigger sized allan keys to turn that internal shaft IN to get clearance on the inside of the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts