Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i did the extension and lowered and now i need to know what to do about the sagging on the passenger end. my wife is on the smaller side but im not so when we both are on it and go over a big bump the tail hits the tire. what to do? remember, i have a budget lol

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
be careful with that man. my wife is 120lbs and used to ride all the time when i had extensions but the first time she rode after id lowered mine i snapped them.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
the swingarm angle becomes inverted once lowered with both of yall on the bike, and the extensions wiill be at an inverted angle to the swingarm itself and with the rotation of the chain putting upward force on the back of the extensions accompanied with road conditions it will put a lot of tension on the end of the swingarm where it meets the extension and will cause a stress fracture.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
look at the pic off ur bike, see how shallow of an angle the swingarm is at with nobody on it? put u on it and ur girl and itll be inverted at the pivot and inverted where the extension bolts up and will eventually crack from the bottom up, right in the Z in ZX on the chain side. I had those exact same ones

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Theyre fine if u dont lower the bike. i rode for a yr or so with my wife no problems but as soon as i lowered it and she rode, this happened after an hr or so

Attachments

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
yep...We were lucky it didnt break apart on the interstate or we prolly wouldnt be here

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Unlower the bike a little bit. Itll definently help with that. Is your suspension set up for you? If not, add a turn of preload to the shock and make the compression stiffer, like 1/2 turn out from full hard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep...We were lucky it didnt break apart on the interstate or we prolly wouldnt be here
what was your extensions made from? there are ones out there that are made of t6061 aluminum, that are painted zx10 on there, that looks like what yours were. these ones are made from t6066, im gonna be honest, you just scared the hell outta me, not sure if i trust these now! i would go with a real arm but don't have the doe for that.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Better to save. Mine were the exact ones u have on

Like op said if u raise it back up itll be fine. Its just oncebu lower it with the weight of a passenger is when its not safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think i figured out what im gonna do, ill have it all welded in, and have a under brace welded in, seeing that i can have it welded for free i think thats my best option.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,373 Posts
Ever use a breaker bar to get a nut free? That's basically what you've done by extending it and you're overwhelming the shock. With the extra weight on the back, it's way easier to compress and bottom out the shock. If there's nothing to absorb the bump, the extensions take the force.

Welding them to the swing arm doesn't reinforce them. Notice where they fractured on BCs bike? At the end of the swing arm. Welding them to the swing arm just makes them harder to remove. You'd really have to brace them internally to make them better. They aren't meant for 2-up street riding.

Get a one piece extended arm, a stiffer shock, or quit riding it 2-up.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
if you want to ride 2 up just take them off and enjoy the bike, extensions were meant for people that drag race their bikes to extend their wheel base, not for taking people for joy rides.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
same extensions i've run last 3 yrs., rear pegs removed though. damn, just ran 159.48 on motor with those last weekend at dragbike natls.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm that looks a little familiar..
im going back to stock today, i talked to the guy who made them he said they used to be made out of 1 inch, they had these problems with them so the moved to 1 1/2 inch. he also said that they are machined not casted so they will def not break but thats a chance that i cant take. so if anyone is looking, i have blocks for sale :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts