Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't need help putting it on..i just need help buying the right one....i've heard so much crap about what the stock sizes were on the 10r and i dunno how i'm gonna find out unless i count the ones on mine! i've heard its: 16/39, 17/39, and 17/40....which is it??? I've noticed a bunch of you guys went with a 15 tooth front....which is what i guess i wanna do...and i know the chain on the 10r is a 525. what i really wanna know is if i buy just a 15 tooth front, do i have to do anything to the chain? and could i buy a little bigger sprocket for the back and just slap it on??(i mean as long as its for a 525 chain) I'm kinda new to working on bikes...I just need a little more info...but at least give me the credit for finding out some info for myself lol
so heres the summary:
what is the stock front/rear sprocket on the 10r?
is the 15 tooth a good acceleration front sprocket?
should I change the rear sprocket up a tooth or two?
and can i leave the chain alone as long as i buy the sprockets for a 525 chain? thanks guys

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
brianhknott said:
I won't need help putting it on..i just need help buying the right one....i've heard so much crap about what the stock sizes were on the 10r and i dunno how i'm gonna find out unless i count the ones on mine! i've heard its: 16/39, 17/39, and 17/40....which is it??? I've noticed a bunch of you guys went with a 15 tooth front....which is what i guess i wanna do...and i know the chain on the 10r is a 525. what i really wanna know is if i buy just a 15 tooth front, do i have to do anything to the chain? and could i buy a little bigger sprocket for the back and just slap it on??(i mean as long as its for a 525 chain) I'm kinda new to working on bikes...I just need a little more info...but at least give me the credit for finding out some info for myself lol
so heres the summary:
what is the stock front/rear sprocket on the 10r?
is the 15 tooth a good acceleration front sprocket?
should I change the rear sprocket up a tooth or two?
and can i leave the chain alone as long as i buy the sprockets for a 525 chain? thanks guys
It matters what year it is. If it is the 04/05 year then the stock gearing is 17/39. If it an 06' then the stock gearing is 17/40. I would not go with a 15 tooth myself. I went with a 16t which most people do and it is a great mod and if you just leave it 16/39 than you do not have to get a new chain or anything. Depending on how big you go in the rear you would need to add another couple links. 16/40 would be safe with the stock 110 link chain. If yah got anymore questions let me know.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh..sorry mines an '05 so if i went with a 16/40 it would be safe but would i have any adjustment for slack? the reason i would do this is pretty much for take off...i dont stunt the bike or anything...i would like to take it to the track and see what i can get in a 1/8 and 1/4....other than that i just casually ride it

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
brianhknott said:
oh..sorry mines an '05 so if i went with a 16/40 it would be safe but would i have any adjustment for slack? the reason i would do this is pretty much for take off...i dont stunt the bike or anything...i would like to take it to the track and see what i can get in a 1/8 and 1/4....other than that i just casually ride it
yeah you will have to adjust chain slack which is easy to do. 16/40 should be a good gearing for sure. You will not have to add any links in your chain:thumbsup:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
brianhknott said:
well i mean would i still have enough space to adjust the rear axle rearward for future wear on the chain?
yes, if you went any bigger i think you should think about going to 112 links though. I dont drag race but I would imagine the longer the wheelbase the better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help....i think i'm gonna buy vortex sprockets.....from sum of all parts...i need to get you guys some picks of my bike....its green and i get my akra CF slip on in the mail on friday so i will try to get some pics

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
brianhknott said:
thanks for all the help....i think i'm gonna buy vortex sprockets.....from sum of all parts...i need to get you guys some picks of my bike....its green and i get my akra CF slip on in the mail on friday so i will try to get some pics
Sweet. Yeah I went with vortex sprockets myself. I also have the akra c/f slip-on. Post up some pics some time man.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well since i got some good help here arguing over my post lol let me ask yall one more thing.......i want some stands for my bike what kind are you using in that pic oneradten? i was looking at vortex on them also...does the front stands just go in the bottom of the fork tubes or what??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts