Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i can do a lot of my own stuff on my bike, but today i rode in and while putting my hands in the fairing to warm them at traffic lights i notice that on the left (as youre sitting on the bike) side of the engine there is oil coming out of the seem between the top portion of the engine and the bottom part where the headers are attached. theres not a lot and it looks fresh.

thoughts? ideas? fixes?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sounds like your head gasket? Mine leaked a little around that area. If it is the head will have to come off.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
Im thinkin valve cover gasket.........I believe I have read about them notoriously leaking...........not a tough fix but the gasket DOES have to be replaced

·
Registered
43 Posts
If it is the gasket above the head (where headers attach) it should be the valve cover gasket. Shouldn't not be too hard to do. Might be some work to get to it. Not exactly an expert on the engine myself, but if the engine has any pcv valves or vent areas, you might want to check/clean/replace, just in case if that contributed to the gasket leaking.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
i think its the valve cover gasket but you'll have to double check. My valve cover gasket is leaking and i bet a few others are as well.

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
look up garth285, the guy know alot about these bikes

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Valve cover gasket. Happened to me too. I installed a new gasket and used a thin coat of permatex and it went away.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys...ill look into it...i like to tinker and im a cheapskate and didnt want to have to pay the stealership to have to crack open the engine $$$$

so to be clear, if it is the valve cover gasket, the engine isnt going to explode on the way home?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If it's from the bottom of the gold cover, you need a valve cover gasket part no. 11061-0051.

I don't know if it could be done only by removing lower-side fairings, tank, airbox, throttle bodies...

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
thanks guys...ill look into it...i like to tinker and im a cheapskate and didnt want to have to pay the stealership to have to crack open the engine $$$$

so to be clear, if it is the valve cover gasket, the engine isnt going to explode on the way home?
Yeap...i mean relax NO ITS NOT.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts

Negative Ghost Rider, just an oily motor.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Sounds like the valve cover gasket, should be able to change it out fairly easily. Depending on the number of miles on your bike, you might want to check your valve lashings while you are in there, very easy to do with the feeler gauge and should be done by 15k miles anyways. Don't sweat it man, it is easy and if you can remove the tank, airbox, and TB's, you can do this. Basic hand tools is all you need and you should be able to do it with the engine still in the bike.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, I've torn the bike apart on many occasions but never opened the engine...there are snakes and evil spirits in there

bike has 25k or so on her...is checking the valve lashings outlined in the service manual?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
my 05 did the same thing, i took that opportunity to have my valves checked and had the gasket replaced

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Have a clear space of 3' radius from the bike and reverse engineer the teardown..That's what I did anyway and have a buddy help too, 2 monds is better then 1..We put it back with NO bolts or washer left over :spit::crackup:..Time: 3 hours for us..good luck and have fun.
Oh, did I tell you this was in July @ 110 degree!!!!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
My last Kaw had this issue...not catastrophic, but annoying.

Valve gaskets are relatively easy. Might as well spring for new inner plug gaskets too. should be about 80 bucks for all gaskets, only about 30 or so for the outer gasket IIRC.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You don't need to remove the throttle bodies. You need to use some gasket sealer on the half moon's or it will leak again.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts