Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm completely unclear on the block off aspect. I ripped off the clean air system (emissions) that sits on the left side of the fairing on the 08. Now i've got 2 (maybe 3 ) hoses dangling around that area. What do I block off, and how? Any details would be really really appreciated. many thanks!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You need to block the hole in the airbox, and the 2 90 degree lines that are facing each other. I connected them together and put a cap on the airbox hole.

I think I have a pic. or 2. Let me check

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
All I can find is 1 pic. of the airbox hole that needs to be plugged. I the pic. you can see all I used was a small piece of the hose off of the kleen air system and filled it with high temp. silicone.

The pic I was looking for is of the plates. I just used the long piece of hose (cut most of the bend off of it) and 2 hose clamps to connect the plates together. Works great.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i see the hole I have to block off in the pic (bottom right) but i'm still unclear about the plates, where do those go? Thanks for the help btw

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i see the hole I have to block off in the pic (bottom right) but i'm still unclear about the plates, where do those go? Thanks for the help btw
I didn't realize you had bought the block off plates. Assumed you were just disableing the system.

If you could post a pic. it would be easier to point it out, but I'll try anyway.

The kleen air canister has 3 hoses. The long hose went to the airbox. Block the hole in the airbox. The 2 shorter hoses went to the OEM plates that you will need to remove and replace with the aftermarket plates.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Ivans kit comes with some sort of jumper to enable you to unplug and remove that kleen air canister. Otherwise you will need to leave it hooked up, or stare at an FI light. (I think)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ten10, thanks for the help. No, i have not purchased any sort of block off plates. All I've done is ripped the evaporative emissions on the left side of the bike, and theres a couple hoses hanging on the left side of the fairing, i've left those as is and havnet plugged anything.... having said, now can you guide me on what needs pluggin up? LOL, thanks man

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You got me confused a bit when you refer to the left side of the bike and left fairing.

All the emissions stuff (that I'm aware of) is right under the airbox.

Will probably pull may airbox of tomorrow and post a couple pics if you haven't already wrapped it up.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
holy crap, dont go thru all that trouble ten10 haha

yes, my bike is a CA model and I am referring to the charcoal canister that is on the left sid eof the fairing. I was thinking this was the kleen air mod...? What my original question was, what do I do once I have ripped out the charcoal canister have like 2 wires hanging on the left side...

But pray tell about this kleen air mod if thats not what I did. Thanks guys, as you can tell, I"m a bit confused too lol but this is clearing it up!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
To effectively stop the air injection system, all you need to do is plug the hole in your airbox with a rubber stopper. Leave the entire system in place and just plug the one hole in the airbox. On the 1st gens, the hole is actually in the throttle body assembly, not the airbox.
Easy as pie, cheap, and no more exhuast popping....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I haven't had any spare time this week yet. No problem pulling the airbox and snapping some pics. I need to figure out how to bypass electrical connections to the canister anyway to avoid FI light.

Don't know about the Cali stuff...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
To effectively stop the air injection system, all you need to do is plug the hole in your airbox with a rubber stopper. Leave the entire system in place and just plug the one hole in the airbox. On the 1st gens, the hole is actually in the throttle body assembly, not the airbox.
Easy as pie, cheap, and no more exhuast popping....

What about the suction on the hose you unplugged from the airbox?

Its your bike, but I would plug that hose too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What about the suction on the hose you unplugged from the airbox?

Its your bike, but I would plug that hose too.
You dont disconnect anything, that's the whole point. Leave all of the factory connections and equipment in place. ALL you need to do is put a rubber stopper in the hole. Think about it, and you'll get it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
the rubber stopper in the hole from the inside of the
airbox is what I was refering to getting into the
throttlebodies. a plug on the outside is the best
option.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
post up the resistance that you get and I'll do
the same.

also, be sure to check out those holes in the ram
air duct as well. u can't miss 'em.

I'm not sure how the factory AIS(?) works. Not
gonna pretend that I do. However, I do know
that on my last couple bikes there was suction
from the factory plates. I never measured how
much, but I did route a hose to the crankcase
vent to "supposedly" assist with relieving positive
crankcase pressure. Cheap, easy, popular mod.

I might hook a gauge up to the 08 and check
vacuum this weekend just for kicks. Not gonna
mess with measuring volume. Too much
trouble.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey guys, stll confused, i'm looking to get the graves block off plates, and have a good idea as to where those go, what next?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
hey guys, stll confused, i'm looking to get the graves block off plates, and have a good idea as to where those go, what next?
You really dont need the block off plates. If you have some extra $ and just want them, "I" would probably go with Ivans. Mainly because his come with the FI light fix.

Otherwise, I will get some pics this weekend that should help.

Between MagicMavis and I, we'll get this FI light fix figured out shortly. Just need some spare time which has been hard to come by here lately.

Been posting from iphone.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i appreciate the input you have given me. I dont mind the FI light as I have ripped out the exhaust servo box, whats one more reason to have the FI light lol.

Besides i can always check the error codes thrown at me.

I do wanna get a set of block off plates, but I need to know what i can get rid of once the plate are on. Also, need to know what to do with the 2 wires dangling off the left side now that the charcoal canister is gone. I'm gonna prop the tank off (alreayd got radiator off, bike is waiting for full exhaust) and gonna plug some stuff up! :badteeth:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts