Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI: I been a long time zx-10r.net member and recently had the opportunity to buy a ZX-6r. The guy that is selling it says that he have the title but that the bike was stolen from him and ditched and that he recovered it. He said that the bike was shorted electrically by the robber and now he tries to turn it on but the digital part is not coming on on the dash. He claims the electronics come on but not the dash. I dont know this bike so I dont know how he can be sure he have electricity coming on others parts and not the dash. It does not even try to start according to him. For you mechanics and people who know this bike, it is possible that the short they made to stole the bike could have damaged the digital part or that this is the reason it is not turning on? He said that he had to put a new ignition switch. I dont know if he know what he did. As far as I know , at least on my ZX-10 , there is a antitheft system on the ignition switch and my hey have a small chip or something that is supposed to not let any other key turn it on. I also have read somewhere that there is a resistance in the ignition switch wiring. I guess if he changed the igition switch himself and he dont know anything about this resistance or how to enable it , it would not turn on? He is selling me the bike at a good price because of all this problem. He dont have a clue and he need the money. The bike is a 2009 model. If any of you guys can help me determine if this could something as simple as wiring I will appreciate it. Thanks.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,727 Posts
Well, first things first. Is this a Euro model? If it's a Euro model with the anti-theft immobilizer in the ignition switch, it will prevent starting until the transponder unit is programmed properly with the key. There's a procedure the dealer would do to register the key and set it up properly.

If it's not a Euro model and the electrical was shorted out, then there's likely several blown fuses. That would be the first thing to verify is all the fuses are intact. There's likely a few that are blown which is preventing power to the bike. Beyond that though, you'd have to check the wire harness for problems. Could be an easy fix or require a new harness to get it working. Tough to know which until you start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot. It is not an euro model. I have not physically seem the bike, but I would have not much time when I see it to decide on buying or not , so I wanted to have an idea of what to look for at the spot, beside checking that the engine is not seized. I downloaded the service manual for the USA model and can not see anything about an antitheft system, but there is a long list of checks to see if the digital display is ok. I guess I will start for the easy part and check those fuses. Thanks again. I will update if I buy it. I guess in a worst case scenario I could sell the engine and parts and at least get my money back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts