Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. it's been a while since i've posted much of anything.

well i need some help in figuring out why my KX250 keeps blowing fork seals. this is maybe an easy question for some of you, so i'd like your help.

i bought the bike brand new October 2005. (yes, it sat around for 2 years. a dealer in bumfuck, TN had it on their showroom floor...i heard of it.. and bought it for $4k.)

i don't ride supercross.
the best way for me to describe the terrain I ride is Loretta Lynn's (not the AMA supercross-looking track...the woods & hills & rocks)

i weigh 215 lbs with gear.

my question to you is...

How do i know if my front forks need to be re-valved?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Are you replacing the seals with OEM seals? Aftermarket ones have always sucked in my experience.

If yes and you are still blowing them then you may have answered your own question regarding re-valving or springs. Maybe they are compressing so much so quickly that they are blowing out.

Not putting to much or too heavy of an oil in them are you?

·
Registered
443 Posts
how hard do you strap the bike down, i know that if you keep it straped down to tight for to long it can make the fork seals blow easier. at least thats what happened on my cr250r. left it straped down from sc to tx and forks were leaking after the trip

·
Registered
595 Posts
You may be tearing the new ones when you are installing them. Who is doing the install?

How much riding are you getting in between blown seals?

When you install the new seals you must check the tubes for knicks/burs, if you have any they will tear the seals almost immediately.

FWIW I go through a minimum of 3 sets a year, but I probably put about 2400miles a year on my dirt bike.

At 215 you need a minimum of heavier springs FR & R. A revalve is ability dependent. If you are Joe trail rider the stock valving should be more than adequate.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Jamie26 said:
how hard do you strap the bike down, i know that if you keep it straped down to tight for to long it can make the fork seals blow easier. at least thats what happened on my cr250r. left it straped down from sc to tx and forks were leaking after the trip
:+1: they make spacers to put between the tire and trees to keep this from happening, should be pretty cheap

·
Registered
443 Posts
TC24 said:
:+1: they make spacers to put between the tire and trees to keep this from happening, should be pretty cheap
ya they are only about 20 bucks or so, but i didnt know that until after id already had the bike strapped down for two days up there and then two days back lol, oh well ill know when i get my next dirtbike

·
Registered
377 Posts
are the fork sliders pitted or scratched? I bought the same bike and have no problems yet......

BTW....I am selling it now...don't use it much and want to focus on track days now.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ZX10Miami said:
Are you replacing the seals with OEM seals? Aftermarket ones have always sucked in my experience.

If yes and you are still blowing them then you may have answered your own question regarding re-valving or springs. Maybe they are compressing so much so quickly that they are blowing out.

Not putting to much or too heavy of an oil in them are you?
i've replaced three seals. two on the right, one on the left.
all three of these were OEM seals.

I'll have to check on the oil used...my Kawi dealer did the work.

What is a good oil to use? Any suggestions on weight and brand?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jamie26 said:
yea this will be addressed. I'll go to cycle gear and get the plastic insert for between the front tire and the fender.

fantastic idea :thumbsup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Larry Grogan said:
You may be tearing the new ones when you are installing them. Who is doing the install?

How much riding are you getting in between blown seals?

When you install the new seals you must check the tubes for knicks/burs, if you have any they will tear the seals almost immediately.

FWIW I go through a minimum of 3 sets a year, but I probably put about 2400miles a year on my dirt bike.

At 215 you need a minimum of heavier springs FR & R. A revalve is ability dependent. If you are Joe trail rider the stock valving should be more than adequate.
my dealer is doing the install.

after the next set gets installed, i'll get some of them skins to protect the slider. i don't see any knics/burs on the tube sliders.

I'm definitely an aggressive, experienced rider. Been doing dirt since 1980. I am not clearing triples at the supercross track or anything like that (I'm fragile in my old age!), but I do like to jump. High when possible.

So does this mean I need heavier springs?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts