Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m dumbfounded as to what’s going on. Had a tick/knock so I pulled the motor out. All rods, mains, wrist pins, pistons were fine. Put new bearings in and everything to spec and cleaned etc. polished the crank as well.

Top end.. after pulling the cam out I found one of the cam caps torn up from something running through the journal. Badly enough I bought a new head. Polished the cams..all went back together to spec. Degreed cams, valves adjusted to spec, every bolt to spec. Cam chain tendionor is an APE manual, chain was good, chain guides good, cam sprockets good, everything good.

Put together...and boom same noise. It’s audible on both sides of the bike near the cylinder wall/head. One tap per revolution of motor after 4000 or so it goes away some. Oil psi is perfect. Water pump and oil pump were gone through, clutch assembly including basket are good, oiling system good, tranny is perfect. I even stuck the stock tensionor back in with no change. Put another crank position sensor in as well with no change. It’s more of a knock than a tick...but it’s not a full knock. Closer to a knock than a tick.

I’m about to rip my hair out. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
had there been piston to valve contact is there anyway you could have little end or piston ring damage. If its a gen4 there notoriously difficult to seat the collets & retainers, possibly you missed that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No ptv contact on any cylinder and the rings looked absolutely perfect. Wrist pins were my first guess. Besides some regular wear they also looked great.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had tick/knock coming from header pounding against head. (Full exhaust header, springs holding header in place). Push against header tubes to check.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts