Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo guys,

Got a problem with my 08 racer.
For some reason the tankcap lock got stuck..

I tryed getting it to work with some WD40 but without result.
I dont wanna break the key so I decided to replace the whole thing for a race cap without a lock.

Problem is : I can't get the damn thing of cuz it is still locked!

Any tips of how to get it of without damaging the tank??

I'm thinking of drilling it out but hate the idea of getting metal parts in my tank.

All tips welcome!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Lube the lock and key real good and apply alot of pressure on the forward part of the lid. If this doesn't help than I don't know.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
First thing is first, sounds very stupid but I have seen it to many times to count. Look at your key it self and is it broken,bent,damaged in any way...That could be the cause plain and simple right there. If not do what juicebox said. If that still doesn't work, I think you might be having some fun with a power tool haha...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had the same problem, the reason is bc the lock is coroding from the inside out. U gotta lube the doglegs of the lock, meaning spray some breakfree or whatever to the left and right of the cap. Work it in and let it do its job, hit the top of the cap a couple of times with the palm of ur hand and it will come lose. I contacted my local dealership and they got me a new one from kawasaki. Good luck man! :thumbsup:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
^^^Yeah right, is your bike still under warranty, don't spend a lick of time. Say listen up my gas cap is stuck fix it or tell me how!!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same problem, the reason is bc the lock is coroding from the inside out. U gotta lube the doglegs of the lock, meaning spray some breakfree or whatever to the left and right of the cap. Work it in and let it do its job, hit the top of the cap a couple of times with the palm of ur hand and it will come lose. I contacted my local dealership and they got me a new one from kawasaki. Good luck man! :thumbsup:
That could be it, coroding on the 2 lockers cuz the bike is standing still for longer time.

I tryed all the keys including the red one so I know its not the key.

Its a racer with no more warrenty.
I will try the things you said and leave it over night hopefully it will work.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My buddy has had this problem. The spray will work. You just have to let it sit for awhile. Spray some on the key also and slide the key in and out of the lock and let it sit. Then after a while push down on the cap and try opening it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My buddy has had this problem. The spray will work. You just have to let it sit for awhile. Spray some on the key also and slide the key in and out of the lock and let it sit. Then after a while push down on the cap and try opening it.
I'm happy to say it worked!

I managed to lift the ring around the tankcap a bit and sprayed the whole thing in with some gun lubricant.
Left it overnight, slammed the top lightly with a rubber hammer and turned the key frequently whyle putting some downforce on the cap.

After a few minutes screwing around with the key suddenly it snapped open, pfff....., finaly!

I removed the whole thing to see what the problem was and indeed...., coroding.

The 2 lips which lock in the tank are attached to some springs and that part was all dry and corroded (spelling???)

I learned my lesson and will lube the lips now and then from now!

All thanks for the tips and info, fantastic!!!!!

:eek:ccasion1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts