Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I currently have a 2001 ZX6R and I'm looking to move to a 2006 ZX10R. I'm about 300lbs. and could really use the extra cc when it comes to group rides. I was wondering for those of you that had 6's before geting a 1000cc what was the change like for you. Was it a big adjustment???

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
well this is the first bike I owned, i have ridin before i bought this, and it really isnt a step up..... is just a huge ass step:crackup:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Its a lot bigger step down than it is up. But be a little careful until you get use to it, and you'll never go back.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Analyzer52 said:
Hello all. I currently have a 2001 ZX6R and I'm looking to move to a 2006 ZX10R. I'm about 300lbs. and could really use the extra cc when it comes to group rides. I was wondering for those of you that had 6's before geting a 1000cc what was the change like for you. Was it a big adjustment???
:welcome:

However, we will need a bit more info....ie. how long have you been riding?
How old are you? How long did you own the 6R?

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
:welcome: and any liter bike is going to take some adjustment just take it slow and get used to it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
morrisjl2 said:
:welcome:

However, we will need a bit more info....ie. how long have you been riding?
How old are you? How long did you own the 6R?
I've been riding about a year and a half and I've put about 4,000 miles on my bike since I got it. I'm 22 and have graduated from college. I know many may say it is too soon, if so why? I'm open to listen, also keep in mind the weight difference with me on a 1000 versus someone that weights 120 pounds. I really want to hear different views on this and things to be cautious of.

I’ve read a lot of info on body position and how to lean the bike and I know how to actively use counter steering. I’ve road the twists a few times and I’m planning to do a track day in July. Oh I also took the MSF course and passed.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Analyzer52 said:
I’ve read a lot of info on body position and how to lean the bike and I know how to actively use counter steering. I’ve road the twists a few times and I’m planning to do a track day in July. Oh I also took the MSF course and passed.
You may want to wait a bit on the 10. I am not here to bash on you, however you don't know exacly what 55 more HP is about. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Do your track day in July. Please and then get the 10. It will still be here.

Just trying to make you are here in July. Sorry if I am a bit harsh.:wink:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I haven't just read it I've used but I won't really get to use it well until I go to the track. And your post wasn't harsh.

The extra 55 horsepower gives you more bottom end power and torque(also more top speed but not really in need of that) something I'm greatly lacking right now. Also allows faster acceleration of curves however requires more patience and experience going through curves not to gas it too much and lose traction.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I got my 06 10R after riding my 01 R6 for five years. I love this bike AND my 600. I took it pretty easy during break in and never really opened it up till after 1000 miles. The 10 handles every bit as well and much better than my 600. It responds better and feels more stable. The only problem I encountered was going from Metz racetechs on my 600 to factory tires on the 10. The stock tires gotta go. They don't slide very predictably. The transition to the bigger bike though was very smooth. I still love riding my 600, but the 10 is just a more refined ride. You'll love it.

I read Keith Code's TWIST OF THE WRIST, Nick Ienatsch's SPORT RIDING TECHNIQUES, and Lee Park's TOTAL CONTROL over winter a few years ago, my riding improved so much I couldn't believe it. I put my knee down for the first time, on my first ride that spring, in the rain, and just about dark, without even meaning to. My riding abilities just came almost effortlessly. I highly recomend reading these books.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
treyzx10r said:
:welcome: and any liter bike is going to take some adjustment just take it slow and get used to it

:+1:

I rode 600 sportbikes for years before I bought my first liter bike and It still took alot of adjustment to get use to it.......

I'd say keep your 6 for maybe a another year and put some miles on her(alot), get use to just being on a bike all the time......

Then go get your 1000cc monster........... jmo.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
The bottom line is this bro............ any bike takes getting used to if you've never been on one..... It's all about respect....

Liter bikes are easier to ride and more forgiving for a new rider provided you have the ability to respect the machine, the bike is afterall only as fast as you twist the grip......it eliminates the need for brainwork with the gears to have simple, respectful fun while learning the basics and honing skills.... small bikes keep you thinking and in turn detracting from the things you should be paying the most attention too, throttle modulation through turns...braking....etc etc etc..... Larger bikes are also more confidence inspiring if your roads like mine are less than perfect, the added weight helps compose the bike and in turn makes for a more confidence inspiring ride for a newbie. The list goes on and on....

Bottom Line......I don't see any prob if you step up to a ten, or even start on one, if you know you're a new rider and will take it in stride....that means when a VIPER pulls up to you on the E WAY, you don't feel compelled to teach him a lesson. Being we're close in age, discounting that i've been on bikes for 20 years, if i were fresh and getting on a 10 it would probably be a flying coffin because i'd be compelled to do what i would not be capable of.......

so just consider that.... GOOD LUCK!!!:wink:

·
Registered
969 Posts
:+1: Just respect the bike and you will have no problem.... I rode all types of bikes for many years, but the first bike I owned myself was a 89' zx750 the next bike I bought was my 05' zx10. I have had no problems with the move up. The bike is awsome you will have so much fun on it... Good luck...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Far things get nearer quicker, the front comes up all the time and image hitting your current 6r peak power... and having over 1/3 more rev range to play with.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dude don't let these guys discourage you:smile: ...i weigh 240 lbs and am only 5'9 (short and stocky), so you got me by a few...The '06 is a gentle giant, but like anything else...you need to think before you do, because she will bite back...I love riding my '06, and dread everyday that it rains :angryfire here in Va...My advise to you is ask yourself if you're ready...don't let anyone else sway your decision...but just remember...if you're financing, be prepare for the payment...as well as the insurance,:BangHead: because the 10 was just rated the #1 bike stolen in America.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Since you've ridden the 6 for a while all I can say is , buy it, respect it, enjoy it. You'll love the extra low end power that the 1k gives you over the 6. I'm 250lbs, road a GSXR6 for a few miles and went straight to the 1k. 6's are fine for us bulky guys if you can keep the rev's up but on a 1k you won't have to. but again RESPECT IT or it will bite you in the . . . . .

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just turned 23, 5'11", 185lbs and I've been riding for about 6 years... I've never owned anything less than a litre bike. Its all about how you ride. If you don't ride outside your limits you'll not have any problems. I've rode 600s but never owned one. If you don't ride it like an idiot you'll be fine... just respect the power that it has and you'll be fine... MO

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
B1GPAP1 said:
Dude don't let these guys discourage you:smile: ...i weigh 240 lbs and am only 5'9 (short and stocky), so you got me by a few...The '06 is a gentle giant, but like anything else...you need to think before you do, because she will bite back...I love riding my '06, and dread everyday that it rains :angryfire here in Va...My advise to you is ask yourself if you're ready...don't let anyone else sway your decision...but just remember...if you're financing, be prepare for the payment...as well as the insurance,:BangHead: because the 10 was just rated the #1 bike stolen in America.
Damn that sucks about it being the number 1 stolen bike I called the insurance and they told me it was only 100 dollars more than what i'm paying now. Hope that does not change.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Get yourself an insurance agent...everytime I try to go through the direct channels to get insurance...they try to rape me...Do your research or you'll get screwed!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts