Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and some friends went to rally in Fayettville Ar this weekend and leaving today I got a ticket for wreckless driving 71 in a 45. I was riding between two friends and the cop said I was going fastest so he pulled me over and didnt stop them. When he got behind me and hit his lights I slowed down and pulled over he almost hit me (so who is wreckless) when he got out of the car he said "you have good breaks I almost ran over you ha ha" . He really wasnt a dick so I thought he was going to give me a warning no he came back with my lic. and a ticket book and gave me a wreckless driving ticket. On the ticket it says 2 traffic off. I do not want this on my record what would be the best way to beat this?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Look in the yellow pages for an attorney or clinic specializing in traffic offenses.

·
PostWhore
13,495 Posts
talk to the solicitor, see if he will reduce it to a non-moving violation....or plead the speed down some.....i was able to talk mine down to a 75 dollar fine and no points.....was gonna be a good bit more

·
Registered
371 Posts
First off, how fast were you going? Is it possible you were traveling 71? If he clocked you on laser radar...your screwed. If it was regular moving / stationary radar you might have a chance based on the fact there were 3 vehicles involved. How close were you together? If there was not a gap between you and you were all riding together you may have a valid argument. Where do you live?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i never plead not guilty i alway plead guilty and explain that i cant afford the points because of your insurance and give a bull shit story why you were going that fast.i always get out of points. thats in michigan so i dont know how it works where your from. :eek:ccasion1 just ask some of your friends if they ever fought a ticket. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joecop30 said:
First off, how fast were you going? Is it possible you were traveling 71? If he clocked you on laser radar...your screwed. If it was regular moving / stationary radar you might have a chance based on the fact there were 3 vehicles involved. How close were you together? If there was not a gap between you and you were all riding together you may have a valid argument. Where do you live?
I live in Ark and I probally was going 71 there wasnt any other cars around the cop said that he pulled me over because I was going fastest and if my friends would have pulled over they would have got ticketed too. There wasnt much gap between us so I guess he didnt like the green bike or somthing. It was in a small town(speed trap) so hopefully it wasnt a lazer. I called and they said I have to go to court I am 29 and should have a clean driving record so I dont want this on my record Im hoping I can get on some kind of probation I did that a few years ago and it didnt go on my record.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
eric said:
i never plead not guilty i alway plead guilty and explain that i cant afford the points because of your insurance and give a bull shit story why you were going that fast.i always get out of points. thats in michigan so i dont know how it works where your from. :eek:ccasion1 just ask some of your friends if they ever fought a ticket. :eek:ccasion1
In these parts, pleading "guilty with an explanation" does you absolutely NO good whatsoever.

Scenario 1: "How do you plead?" "Guilty" "Convicted, pay up."

Scenario 2: "How do you plead?" "Guilty with explanation" "what's the story" yada yada "Convicted, pay up."

Scenario 3: "How do you plead?" "Not guilty" - and then the game begins.

As you can see, there is absolutely no difference to your wallet or your driving record between pleading guilty, or pleading guilty with an explanation. The ONLY thing that gives you a fighting chance is to plead "not guilty" and if you are asked whether you want to contest the evidence of the police officer, you have to answer "yes".

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
GoFaster said:
In these parts, pleading "guilty with an explanation" does you absolutely NO good whatsoever.

Scenario 1: "How do you plead?" "Guilty" "Convicted, pay up."

Scenario 2: "How do you plead?" "Guilty with explanation" "what's the story" yada yada "Convicted, pay up."

Scenario 3: "How do you plead?" "Not guilty" - and then the game begins.
QUOTE]
thats how pleading not guilty is here. i did it once for a speeding ticket and the judge didnt even give me a chance to tell my story. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
tell the judge the other two bikes were chasing you and you were scared for your life....that would explain why you were out front but the only one that stopped when the cop flashed......you might as well try to have some fun with this because no matter what happens you are going to be paying.... :)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
joecop30 said:
Yep, your gonna wanna bring your friends to testify on your behalf. Remember your going in front of a judge who was not there at the scene. It's your job to paint an absolutely clear picture of how it occurred and where the other bikes were positioned in relation to you in relation to where the cop was positioned at the point you were clocked.

Ensure he's certified on the device and also that it (device) is currently certified as well.

As far as hiring an attorney. I have mixed feelings on this one. Just to retain an attorney, at least here anyway, costs money, alot of it, remember if you still lose your gonna pay out for court costs as well. Having said that, an attorney could and does alot of times find what we call fatal flaws on the actual citation...citation dismissed ya know what I mean.

Worst case scenario, strike a plea, dude if you were speeding your speeding, thats a violation. as long as the cop did his job correctly, plea and hope for the best. Life will go on my brudda!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Is there a chalkboard in the courtroom. Draw a picture dude. Makes everything clearer for the judge. As your arguing your points "paint the picture for him" in a matter of speaking. Pics/drawings are worth a thousand words right? Be it good or bad.

Hope the judge is in a good mood, that helps. Maybe flowers or chocolates would be a nice touch.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Again, I know for a fact this method works (See link). Long story short, the probate clerk in the county you were cited in can take your money and throw the ticket in the trash without processing it for the ins co and state to see if he/she feels like it. With that said a reckless may be harder to get tossed. I wonder what Ash did and what came of her situation. Good luck

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12228&highlight=county+clerk

AFMEDIC

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Try a lawyer or hope that the officer does not show up for the trial date. You may also want to check around a bit, wreckless driving around here will get you a ride in a police car. Call your insurance agent (if he/she is local) and find out what this would do to your insurance. Might help you decide how hard you want to fight it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
JOHNH said:
Me and some friends went to rally in Fayettville Ar this weekend and leaving today I got a ticket for wreckless driving 71 in a 45. I was riding between two friends and the cop said I was going fastest so he pulled me over and didnt stop them. When he got behind me and hit his lights I slowed down and pulled over he almost hit me (so who is wreckless) when he got out of the car he said "you have good breaks I almost ran over you ha ha" . He really wasnt a dick so I thought he was going to give me a warning no he came back with my lic. and a ticket book and gave me a wreckless driving ticket. On the ticket it says 2 traffic off. I do not want this on my record what would be the best way to beat this?
I have said this before (to Ash, I think), If you have a speedohealer, change the settings so that the speedometer is off about 26 MPH or so (go to the site and do the math). Have the speedometer checked at the dealer, take the calibration papers to court proving it's off.
Not sure if the stealership will calibrate the speedo, but it's worth a try.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
This advice is worth exacty what you is payin' fer it. In Texas (and maybe in Arkansas) traffic offenses are criminal offenses and handled in the same way. When you go before the judge and plead to the offense you can plead guilty, not guilty or nole contendre. If you plead not guilty you will recieve a trial either before a judge or you can request a jury. If you have any idea of getting out of it, request a jury. In a jury case in a criminal trial the verdict has to be unanimous. You stand a chance of getting out of it because they don't want to fuck with a jury trial for the little bit of money they will get out of it or because the cop doesn't show up or they might just make a deal knowing they will have to actually work for their money or one of the jurors has been in the same situation.

Unless the podunk jurisdiction has a court reporter (which I doubt)and if the verdict is not what you like you can appeal to the next higher jurisdiction and they will have to hear the case from the start again. This is generally what attorneys who are in the business do to earn their money, exploit the system. You can do it for nothing if you know how it works.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It doesnt say what radar was used. My court date in on the 18th is that when I request a trial or is that the trial I have a form that my friend used to get out of a ticket asking for info on the radar(cert and all of that and the officers cert) to rep myself should I use that?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't know how the court system works there. However, I would think that would be the trial date. Request all the certifications on the Officer (through Freedom of Information Act) Request the Officers daily log, in Michigan when we use any form of radar it has to be checked prior to and at the end of the shift, we further have to indicate on our logs that this was completed. If it's missed then the ticket is dismissed. Get what you can, go in and explain the circumstances on the bikes being close together and have him explain how he picked your bike compared to the other 2. You might get lucky and he doesn't show

1 - 20 of 22 Posts