Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my 05 zx10 that it was having a hard time starting and stay running. As in it didnt have enough juice. I replaced the battery and it started fine, but as soon as I let go of the starter button, it dies. I noticed that even after it was turned off and the key was out of the ignition that I could hear something running(as in electricity). I disconnected the battery and let it sit, due to my frustrations. I now have connected the battery and turned the key on and NOTHING! no power or anything. guage does noit light up, the kill switch is in the run position, and I cant figure out what is wrong! I was told it could be my stator? but that person says that wouldnt cause the guages to no light up. I also heard it could be a ground wire. Please please please any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!!!

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Could you check if there is a short circuit somewhere? Check the resistance between the battery cables (with the battery disconnected).

Could you also check the battery voltage (just in case)?

·
Registered
224 Posts
check the wiring harness next to the left side engine mount, pretty tight over there might have had a wire wear down and is grounding

·
Registered
280 Posts
Symptoms:

-Gauge does not light up (this is the important symptom, no power)
-Engine does not start

Causes:

-Battery is not connected
-Battery is dead (check with multimeter or take it to autozone for testing)
-Primary fuse is dead (follow the positive lead, on my second gen the primary fuse is on top of the starter relay, located under the fuel tank)

This problem is almost certainly low battery charge or bad battery (battery can only hold a charge for a couple of hours, then it dies), poor connection on the positive lead to the battery (corrosion on the battery terminal or the cable will prevent a connection), or you have popped the primary fuse. Check the fuse, clean the corrosion off of the cable and battery terminals, and take the battery to autozone for further testing.
Symptoms:

-Bike will start but not stay running

Causes:

-Out of gas (I'm serious, check the tank! My last bike was bad about this)
-Low battery voltage, battery is bad or charging system is malfunctioning
-Vehicle down sensor, neutral switch or clutch lever switch is malfunctioning
-Starter clutch is malfunctioning
-Spark plugs or stick coils need to be replaced
-Cam position sensor or crank position sensor is malfunctioning

Considering your battery problems, the most likely cause of your bike's inability to stay running is, once again, a bad battery.
I hope this helps. I would also recommend you download the service manual, go to the appendix and read the troubleshooting section. The kawasaki service manual is extremely helpful, just take your time with it. Also, laugh at the problem, talk sweetly to the bike, it takes twice as long to solve a problem when you're pissed and in a bad mood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts