Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a clutch cover gasket leak but after checking and checking again, I think it is coming from somewhere near the generator.

Has anyone else had a problem with a leak from the generator? It appears to be leaking just behind the clutch cable bracket near the cover.

Is there a gasket or seal there? It looks like there is some sort of adjustment mechanism.

Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RH side. I feel like an idiot. I thought the gen was right side and starter left.

Do you know if the starter has some sort of way to leak out right next to the clutch cover. It appear to be leaking very slightly from right behind the clutch cable bracket near the clutch cover.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. Leak appears to be coming from directly above #1 in the picture. I've been trying to find out if it is coming from the clutch cover gasket (assumed it was and just hasing around and down from around the area near #3.

I believe it is has been pin pointed to a shaft which I assumed was the generator. Apparently that's the starter and would explain the incredible reduction I saw from the gear to the clutch.

Release shaft. That makes sense. I can see a Y shaped fork piece that clings onto a shaft hanging out. This appears to be exactly where the leak is coming from.

Edit: btw when I am saying near those #s I am referring to where the numbers are pointing, not the actual bubbles.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
That is the clutch cover (where you put oil in). We are talking about the same thing right? #3 has an o-ring (if I am not mistaken). The rest of the cover is one gasket. Hopefully a 1st gen owner will chime in.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is not leaking from the clutch release shaft. That is on the cover itself. It is leaking from somewhere DIRECTLY above #1 in your first photo... It is behind that bracket that holds the clutch cable.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Dunno maybe Bloo, Garth or someone else that torn down a 1st gen can answer that one.
Nope...may be a garth thing I know what area he is talking about and never heard of such an oil leak there and never torn it down...in that area.... it's not subject to oil leaks like other places on the first gen like Valve Cover and Clutch cover and mostly down low. :dontknow:

bloo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Valve cover is bone dry. Figures I get the wierd leak. It's so slow that it's really just an annoyance but still. I want it fixed.
Im facing same kind of a problem here. Oil leaks out exactly from the same direction as in your case. 1st added some silicone based sealant and no success there. Then bought a new gasket and still that bastard is leaking. :dontknow:

Just as in your case, the leak itself isn't that bad, but it surely is annoying and I want to make it stop damnit!

I cant spot the exact place where it comes from. Nothing comes out when I keep the motor running while parked, even running it like 10-15min. and revving it. But after I'll drive it a bit, then the oil's coming out from there (oilpressure rising while driving and using the clutch maybe?).

Have you had any progress in this case mate? If so, drop some info into this thread please :)

-D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has your bike been blown over or dropped on the right side??? mine blew over thought it was a gasket problem an the pulsor cover had a minor crack that you wouldnt notice untill you take the whole cover off!!! an i believe all the covers have gaskets

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok then.. just got in from the garage. I took the cover (clutch) out 3rd time in a week and inspected the bastard more carefully than last times (last time i thought the gasket has failed).

I found a minor crack from there, so small that I was lucky to even notice it. The bike is not dropped on either side so Im quite confused now :dontknow:

Im also always using a torque wrench, but who knows what the last owner has done with the bike.

I used some sealant on the cover, waited a lil while and took a lil ride with it. No more leaking there! :smile:

It's autumn over here in Finland and the weather is getting crappier all the time (winter is coming) so I guess i'll ride a month or two with it and get a new cover from ebay during the winter.

Sry bout my crappy english. Trying my best :rolleyes:

-D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts