Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i will be buying a 98 7r in a month or 2 what i was wondering is how many miles does the engine last i mean i will be buying this bike and keep it for atleast 5yrs no matter what and will be using the bike on a daily basses like 1000 - 1500kms a month so plz guys tell me if 7r is the bike for me.

Do tell me the pros and cons of the bike and what to look when buying a used bike ???? what are things i have look after when maintaining my bike???? stuff like that be specific i would not mind reading, tell everything that is needed to know.

Maintaing the bike :what are the things i have to look out for. as i live in INDIA i cant get it serviced from dealers there are guys from the states who do it here, parts availability will also be scares but will manage. need to know when and how the bike needs to b serviced so i know what the mech is doin ???

My Info
i have been riding a 250cc for a year and i am boared of it so now thought of upgrading to a 600cc+
my way of riding is not predictable i dont stunt or anythin i just rip my bike where and when i get the chance to do so (wont rip untill i get a hang of it) as i have never ridden any 600cc but as for 250cc i have clocked 100mph on my bike. so me telling you guys a little bout my self can you guys tell if 7R is the bike for me.

Ps:
1: i also wanna know what is the mileage i will get on it ???? take into account very slow riding like 50-60miles and fast riding as far the bike can go
2: can someone tell which crash cage to use and throw in some pics of 7R's having it on.
3: can some one plz tell me what's the top speed of the bike ?????
4: should i go for a steering damper ???? if yes which one i hate when the handle starts slapping around.
5: i dont know but is the bike under production if no are parts available ????? if yes then are there any online shops by which i can get parts shipped to india ?????

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I just bought a 96 zx-7r from the original owner, it's got 58k on it right now, with the stock clutch... I'm replacing the clutch within a week tho, it slips all the time. But still, its a fine example of what changing the oil every 3k will get you, bike runs good as new...

First thing you hear after you bring up anything about the zx-7r is the weight factor, it's not a light bike so it will be very different from a 250 in that respect. Personally, I went from a 1990 cbr600f and the zx is heavier but honestly feels so much more balanced I don't even notice. On the plus side because of the weight, it holds the turns like no other, I can't describe to you how nice and planted it feels...

I haven'tfelt the need for a damper but then again I haven't tested it too hard yet with the clutch being pretty shot, I've only got like 1k miles on it since I bought it. I don't think you'll need a damper, the front end is great as it is.

Speedwise, it pulls hard after 6k... third gear gets you to triple digits. I've seen 130ish personally and I didn't know I was going that fast, I've been taking it easy getting used to it... lol trying to take it easy

I have limited knowledge tho because of the short amount of time I've had the bike, I mean it isnt even registered yet haha I've had it for almost 2weeks, and I'm completely in love but still drooling at the 04 zx10r Good Luck

·
Registered
451 Posts
bikemanic said:
hey guys i will be buying a 98 7r in a month or 2 what i was wondering is how many miles does the engine last i mean i will be buying this bike and keep it for atleast 5yrs no matter what and will be using the bike on a daily basses like 1000 - 1500kms a month so plz guys tell me if 7r is the bike for me.

Do tell me the pros and cons of the bike and what to look when buying a used bike ???? what are things i have look after when maintaining my bike???? stuff like that be specific i would not mind reading, tell everything that is needed to know.

Maintaing the bike :what are the things i have to look out for. as i live in INDIA i cant get it serviced from dealers there are guys from the states who do it here, parts availability will also be scares but will manage. need to know when and how the bike needs to b serviced so i know what the mech is doin ???

My Info
i have been riding a 250cc for a year and i am boared of it so now thought of upgrading to a 600cc+
my way of riding is not predictable i dont stunt or anythin i just rip my bike where and when i get the chance to do so (wont rip untill i get a hang of it) as i have never ridden any 600cc but as for 250cc i have clocked 100mph on my bike. so me telling you guys a little bout my self can you guys tell if 7R is the bike for me.

Ps:
1: i also wanna know what is the mileage i will get on it ???? take into account very slow riding like 50-60miles and fast riding as far the bike can go
2: can someone tell which crash cage to use and throw in some pics of 7R's having it on.
3: can some one plz tell me what's the top speed of the bike ?????
4: should i go for a steering damper ???? if yes which one i hate when the handle starts slapping around.
5: i dont know but is the bike under production if no are parts available ????? if yes then are there any online shops by which i can get parts shipped to india ?????

Thanx in advance
The zx-7r's are completely bullet proof. I had 2 and did over 50,000miles between the two of them including a 12,000 mile 10 week trip 2 up. A person I know has been round the clock with only having to replace 1 set of clutch plates.

They have arguably the best front end of any bike on the market (and I include the 10r in that) having been described as feeling as though god is holding the front axle. They are heavy however so wont keep up with latest model 600's.

They aren't a wheelie machine as the front end is heavy but makes a fantastic stoppie machine. Alot of people drop a tooth on the front.

There is no need for a damper.

There are a few minor problems that occur with them. Main one is the clutch can slip. They have a back torque limiter clutch in them (first production bike with one) and if it has been carrying a lot of load the fibre plates can need replacing. I did both of mine at 25,000 miles.

Other than that they can warp their discs if you are a hard late braker.

Top speed of the bike is 160mph ish. Will do that with relative ease and get there quickly.

1. - Average mileage you will get before reserve is 120 - 140 miles depending on how hard you ride it. Worst I have ever got is 110miles when flogging it down a highway at 100mph with no fairing (I was riding it back from croatia to the UK after crashing it)
2. Unsure on which are the best crash bobbins. There are lots
3. Top speed 160mph
4. dont bother with a damper - waste of money on this bike. Best mod is a slip on exhaust - the standard pipe weighs 16kg!!!!!
5. No knew zx-7r's are being manufactured. Parts supply shouldn't be a problem though as there is a huge cult following.

I cant recommend the zx-7r enough. I think its absolutely brilliant. I had 2 and would have another. For the best resource of zx-7r info look at www.redmonkey.com/7r there are some absolute guru's on that site. Do a search on the "clean air mod" as a free, cheap and easy mod that improves throttle responce (it removes some anti-pollution crap)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Harlequin thanx man, there is one more thing is there any online store where one can order the parts of the 7R and ship it to any where in the world ????? can u explain what is a back torque limiter clutch and how does it help ? cause i have no idea about it ! and one more thin i understand that is heavy but what do u man it cant cope up with the latest 600cc i mean while dragging with it with a R6 or 600RR will it not win having a top speed of 160mph ????

·
Registered
451 Posts
bikemanic said:
@Harlequin thanx man, there is one more thing is there any online store where one can order the parts of the 7R and ship it to any where in the world ????? can u explain what is a back torque limiter clutch and how does it help ? cause i have no idea about it ! and one more thin i understand that is heavy but what do u man it cant cope up with the latest 600cc i mean while dragging with it with a R6 or 600RR will it not win having a top speed of 160mph ????
The zx-7r puts more HP out than the 600s but it weighs anywhere up to 30kg more. Also the 7r hasn't changed since 1996. So a 2005 600 will have higher tech everything. So if you were racing a zx-7r vs say a 2005 R6 the R6 would probably lap quicker. On the road however the zx-7r will give you a lot more confidence then the r6 so you would be able to ride it quicker. The front on the zx7 will stay nice and planted and the r6 would be hopping around. For sake of argument the new 600's will be pretty much as quick as the zx-7r but the zx-7r is easier to ride fast and alot more solid a bike than any of the 600s (keep in mind the zx7r is now 10 year technology).

I'm not sure where you can look at for ordering parts online that ship anywhere in the world. I would have thought most stores would happily ship world-wide. I would probably get in contact with Kawasaki directly.

Finally Back-torque limiting clutch is something that is now becoming a standard attachment to bikes. Basically it means if your doing 100mph and you slam it into first instead of having the back wheel lock up because it cant spin the engine fast enough the back torque clutch makes the clutch slip and stops the back wheel jumping around. By default its set very stiff (ie you really need to slam down the gears to activate it) it is adjustable through the use of different thickness washers in the clutch. Being completely honest dont worry about doing anything to it its pretty well perfect as is.

Oh just remembered a few things that you should adjust to get the best out of it. There is a rear ride height adjuster which you can get at after you have taken the seats off. One nut is under the seat. Loosen it off and then going in through where the rear tyre is wind the other nut up atleast 15mm. Go as high as you can while still being able to put the split pin back in. (its really obvious when you see it). This will improve your handling no end. Makes it turn in 100% better. Also they come standard with a 190 profile rear tyre. When that one wears out replace with a 180. Because the zx-7r is so solid you actually want to speed up the steering (unlike say the zx-10r which you want to slow down with a damper). On the rear suspension set the rebound damping to 3 (its the dial on the bottom of the shock - has 4 settings). Standard +2 compression damping on the back and then increase the preload to suit your weight. (static sag is best set to 30mm when you are sat on it wearing full gear).

On the front the preload actually doesn't adjust the preload it only changes the ride height (I've had the forks apart a couple of times trying to find a way to fix this) so wind it so its as low as it can go. rest of the suspension setting are pretty good at factory on the front.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Steering damper, yes w/o question. Crashcage, I would probably just get sliders, unless you're going to stunt. I've got on my GSXR and they drag if you lean very far. But if you do get one I like Freestyle Ingenuity. Engine lasting - my friend ninja went 50K before he wrecked it, my GSXR blew up with 8K on it, but I deprived the engine of oil (long wheelie), its all in how you treat 'em.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
bikemanic said:
you can order with us and we will ship anywhere in the world if ups will take it there...let us know if we can help...803.285.8093

dwayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts