Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ZX10R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 GENV bike won’t start after riding it unless it sits for 20 minutes or more between stops. Installed brand new battery. And amps are staying at 14.2v while the bike is idling at 2000/5000 rpms at temp. Rides fine even when push starting it. No weird electrical issues on my dash and headlight stays on and bright

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,226 Posts
Welcome.

Few problems with your statement here. The 14.2 is Direct Current (DC) voltage, not amperage. You have to have a special amp meter (ammeter) to see that and your typical multimeter can't measure that. That number should be several hundred amps when starting. The voltage you're measuring is to run the bike electronics and recharge the battery. The only thing the battery is used for is starting the bike by spinning the starter motor. If the starter motor is spinning and the engine is turning over, then it's not an electrical issue with the battery.

If you're having hot start problems, then it's fuel or ignition related. Without knowing what's been done to the bike that could cause this stuff it's too hard to answer. But it's not an issue with the battery and charging system I can tell you that.

·
Registered
2016 ZX10R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information skydork! I have recently got my ECU flashed. I bought the battery new last week just as a ;”well maybe?” Let me try this first. I don’t seem to be having problems with my reg/rec and/or Stator .

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,226 Posts
Thanks for the information skydork! I have recently got my ECU flashed. I bought the battery new last week just as a ;”well maybe?” Let me try this first. I don’t seem to be having problems with my reg/rec and/or Stator .
Yeah, I figured as much based on the information in the first post. A new battery is never a bad thing! But that was really just wishful thinking. Throwing money at different parts hoping you fix the problem gets expensive quick!

I highlighted the real issue here in your post. Whatever flash you did is causing your hot-start issue. That's not an easy fix depending on how that was done, but that's the most likely cause of your issue.

·
Registered
2016 ZX10R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok... so now I’ve replaced battery (shorai), rectifier & Stator. Still having HotStart problems. Starter seems to be fine and working properly (cranks strong). IM LOST. Now with the Shorai it cranks faster than ever before (when cold start). My bike did get Flashed ECU and since has had the problem. I was just thinking weak battery at first cause now my fans kick in at 185 instead of 200F+.
Stator looked good and not burned up when replacing. I know to stop throwing money at parts but 😞 there’s only so much to a charging system

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
911 Posts
Bro just like skydork told you, it's a fueling or ignition issue. Best guess since you have not said if it will crank or not when you try to hot start it but sounds like it works on that end. It's your flash almost 100% the fueling is too rich. Or way way too lean but it would still start if you gave it a tiny bit of gas when turning it over if it was lean. Either send it back and tell them the issue or change your iap map to a stock map and go from there. Unless they have fucked with the ignition at idle or hey it could even be a relay but most likely it's directly related to the flash

·
Registered
2016 ZX10R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bro just like skydork told you, it's a fueling or ignition issue. Best guess since you have not said if it will crank or not when you try to hot start it but sounds like it works on that end. It's your flash almost 100% the fueling is too rich. Or way way too lean but it would still start if you gave it a tiny bit of gas when turning it over if it was lean. Either send it back and tell them the issue or change your iap map to a stock map and go from there. Unless they have fucked with the ignition at idle or hey it could even be a relay but most likely it's directly related to the flash
Thank you for your reply! TwistedSoCal13; when I try and start the bike while the bike is hot (temp 170F+) , it hesitates before finally sounding like the battery is to weak to start! I either have to push start the bike or let it sit for another twenty min or so until the temp of the engine cools down. When the engine is cool it cranks fast and strong . Like you would believe it’s 100% fine

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,226 Posts
Thank you for your reply! TwistedSoCal13; when I try and start the bike while the bike is hot (temp 170F+) , it hesitates before finally sounding like the battery is to weak to start! I either have to push start the bike or let it sit for another twenty min or so until the temp of the engine cools down. When the engine is cool it cranks fast and strong . Like you would believe it’s 100% fine
OK, stop worrying about your battery and the charging system and all that stuff. None of that shit will affect your hot starting. The battery only turns the electric starter motor and powers the computer. Once the engine is running, the power comes from the alternator to do those things. None of those things you swapped out will fix that. If it won't start and you have to keep sucking the battery power down to keep the starter running, that is not a problem with the battery or the charging system.

You should not hold the starter button down and keep cranking it. If you crank it for more than 30 seconds, then stop, and don't do it again for 5 minutes. You'll overheat the starter and destroy it if youkeep doing that. If the engine doesn't start quickly enough, there's something else wrong and it needs to be fixed. Your flash is what the problem is. Your IAP map is screwed up and not allowing it to start properly when hot.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
911 Posts
Yup what he said. It's almost certainly your iap map or some excessive fuel trim action. If you flashed it then fix it if u had it flashed then send it back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts