Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lets start with the fact that pulling the clutch lever in does not disengage the clutch. I looked for ways to adjust it played with it and it's worse. Today I took it out and going from a dead stop it bogs and jerks till about 6k high rpms its fine. The bike sat for a few weeks but i cleaned out the tank any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wha???

Um, how are you " going from a dead stop" if your clutch is not disengaging? Once you are moving, your clutch should not have anything to do with bucking and such. A dry, seized chain would do that. Have a look around. :dontknow:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um, how are you " going from a dead stop" if your clutch is not disengaging? Once you are moving, your clutch should not have anything to do with bucking and such. A dry, seized chain would do that. Have a look around. :dontknow:
I have to drop it in neutral to stop other wise it wants to pull forward with the lever all the way in. Put it on a wheel stand with the clutch lever held in first gear spins like crazy. The only thing i have adjusted in the clutch but apparently i F$%*@d that one up. It idles fine in neutral kit it in first bogs and wants to die. Figure it was from adding force while trying not to move. Does any one have a link of how to adjust the clutch cables I cant find it in the manuals.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Clutch

You just have to make sure that you have SOME freeplay at the clutch lever. If you have a lot, the clutch is not opening enough and is dragging which explains the spinning, lurching and stalling. BUT- if it is adjusted correctly, you may have warped metal disks in the clutch which will cause dragging. BUT- before pulling everything apart, change the oil to a good synthetic. My clutch and tranny are WAY smoother since I did this.
Keep us posted.:wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike sat on the side stand for a while and the clutch plates ended up getting stuck together. I had to replace them.
I have amsoil and filter in it. I guess I'll just play with the adjustments then open it up if u have to any suggestions on clutches a lot of brands out there!

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
I have to drop it in neutral to stop other wise it wants to pull forward with the lever all the way in. Put it on a wheel stand with the clutch lever held in first gear spins like crazy. The only thing i have adjusted in the clutch but apparently i F$%*@d that one up. It idles fine in neutral kit it in first bogs and wants to die. Figure it was from adding force while trying not to move. Does any one have a link of how to adjust the clutch cables I cant find it in the manuals.
You know what ..If you adjusted your clutch and bike was not like this before your clutch adjustment ...Ummm Just "UNDO" what you did in your clutch adjustment..

I understand you most likely had a problem and thats why you were adjusting it but get it back to ground zero and reevaluate your clutch adjustment technique LOL

:thumbsup:

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
what kind of oil are you using, I had my clutch start to stick with valvoline vr1 racing oil, changed it and had no problems
Dude disappeared ,...Maybe hes backtracking..... 10-1 he missed something either buttoning up the project or during the adjustment.. I know ive been wrenching on bikes for 10 years (CAUSE IM OCD ABOUT TRUSTING MY MACHINE TO BE PUSHED) and I still make mistakes and miss stuff..I put the wrong bolt in my drain plug once . It fit but was longer and just happened to be in my tool box ..I was grabbing a wrench and just grabbed it cause it looked like the drain plug..I stood up and saw it on the ground and was like WTF .. "REALLY"

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the same issue

I high sided last year Due a lady who pulled out into the intersection with out stopping to look both ways. So I purchased the bike back from the Isurance do to just cosmetic damaged and I love my Gen 1 zx10. But When I'm finally put everything back together from the Levers to the fairings and went for a test run the bike Stutters around 7000 RPM and some times cuts off. So now that its getting hot im trying to figure this out. I noticed that the clutch lever was not disengaging and rengaging properly due to the fact that I left out the little bearing that goes around the Screw that holds the lever in place. But that didnt fix it so I took out the clutch and scuffed up the steel plates to see if that will work, Started to put the clutch back together and Guess what happen. I over tighten a screw and broke it off in the rod where the spring screw goes into. So i'm out of luck until the shipment get here. Any Suggestions????

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what kind of oil are you using, I had my clutch start to stick with valvoline vr1 racing oil, changed it and had no problems
Sorry I use amsoil got maybe 1k on it I'm gonna try to figure it out . I finally talked my buddy into buying another bike he sold his over a year ago picked up an 06 zx-6r so I really need tp figure this out

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
I put OEM clutch plates back in it. If it is sticking, remember that you could risk having some fibers come off the clutch plates and go into your engine. I'm not sure if the plates are sticking, but I wouldn't risk tearing something up more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts