Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will make it short and sweet. Thursday a buddy and I put on an extended swing arm and such but had to remove headers as it was the only way for us to get the bike in the air as his is in parts and slung up... Didnt expect to have to remove so had no gaskets to replace. They're stock headers as my full exhaust came in the day after we did this... Now its making a horrific noise... It was a ticking before when we finished and now if I let off the throttle it sounds like an empty coke can with the top inside and you shaking the shit outta.... Its sounds rly rly bad... Will I make things worse riding like this? How soon do I gotta get it fixed? Any advice? Either post, pm, or even call if ya can help. 9546819422

-Brian

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sounds to me like the copper crush gaskets are shot and/or the headers aren't completely torqued down.

I never bother to use the crush washers more than once. The ticking drives me insane so I'd rather spend the money to replace them. YMMV

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as i said, nothing was replaced as it was not expected to have to remove headers to get the swing arm off. I need to know if I'm going to cause any dmg by riding till this weekend, aprox 35miles a day to work and back 35 total that is or if this is something that needs to be fixed asap... it's coming from the headers, the oil is good. I actually need a head gasket as well as mine has a small leak... need to know if this is going to cause dmg to the bike or just be annoying... if anyone wants to call I will ride it around the block so you can hear it... it's horrible sounding. I rather drive a ricer than this right now... it's THAT bad...

-Brian

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't see what's funny about that... his bike was slung up so we had to use a jack... stock headers....this is my first kawi, I was a yamaha guy and I see why now as this bike is having issues and I treat it like a princess... if you have no advise gtfo my thread.:thefinger

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Hey BigB07....the new gaskets can be bought dirt cheap even from the dealer man. I actually need to replace 1 of mine which means all 4 of them. Beat of luck though man, I'd get it fixed ASAP before alot more riding is done if it sounds as bad as you say, just to prevent any damage and the chance of you going nuts listening to it. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey BigB07....the new gaskets can be bought dirt cheap even from the dealer man. I actually need to replace 1 of mine which means all 4 of them. Beat of luck though man, I'd get it fixed ASAP before alot more riding is done if it sounds as bad as you say, just to prevent any damage and the chance of you going nuts listening to it. :)
Ya wanna hear it? I'll be more than happy to unlock it and ride around the block, at 4k rpm if i release throttle it sounds like it's going to explode and backfires aswell... a very very loud rattle... my only guess is headers as it never had a noise until we removed them to jack it up.... sucks, yea, he works for riva so I get stuff at his cost which is i think 15% above what riva pays... dirt cheap... :) Just don't want my bike to be down... my truck is a gas sucker... 454 with 33"s... :( 7mpg.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should have kept your Yamadog
Was stolen, not sayin' I don't like the bike, I love it... just seems like it can't handle how I ride. They call 'em sport bikes(crotch rockets) for a reason, so I drive 'em like I stole it. Redline all the way... it is what it is I guess, guess it doesn't rly matter right now as I'm gonna be tearing down the motor in a few months to build it up anywho. Preparing for supercharger to be installed by feb. 2012.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts