Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question for you all.

My 04 zx10r wont shift into 2nd gear at all only 1st and neutral so I checked my adjustment on my clutch and it was fine it wasn't slipping at full throttle and my oil wasn't low either. Weird ...

And then I noticed my neutral light doesn't come on anymore and it wont start in neutral with the kickstand down only up and my fi light flashes until I put the kickstand up so my kickstand sensor works for sure and I know it's not my clutch safety sensor either because I have it bypassed and could start it in gear without it pulled and my shift fork teeth are fine and the linkage is tight so the only thing I can think is the gear indicator sensor or neutral safety sensor or if it's the clutch itself? Please let me know

·
Premium Member
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
OK, so let me ask the obvious question here. Are you riding it around only in 1st gear wheelieing all over the place from the fact it won't go into 2nd gear? Or are you in your garage playing with the foot peddle? Not really sure how you determined the "shift fork teeth are fine" without splitting the crankcase apart and looking at the transmission. something doesn't jive with your description of that.

There are 2 starter safety switches - clutch and sidestand. If you bypassed the clutch switch and it still won't start, then the only one left is the sidestand safety. That's the broken part. Doesn't matter if the neutral light is on because it will think it's in gear and will start if the other switches are not active.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,183 Posts
how do you know your shift fork is good? and the tines on the fork, is that what you are calling teeth? it's probably your gear position sensor or something on that end of it. if you can get the bike to go from neutral into first it's probably not your clutch, could be the shift drum though. fill us in as to how you are sure about the forks

·
Registered
101 Posts
So the retainer clip from the rod shift had jumped out of place probably due to a hard shift. Pic 2 it's in the correct position.

Pic 3 it was a couple of mm out of place because of the the shiftbrod was moving left to right and that allowed the rod 2 rub against the clutch basket.

So that enabled the spring to just to loaded with a friend called Sid he had the same problems Bashed against clutch basket and spring broke off pic 4.

Pic 5 brand spring n 2nd hand shift rod.

All pics are from the right side behind clutch basket.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the retainer clip from the rod shift had jumped out of place probably due to a hard shift. Pic 2 it's in the correct position.

Pic 3 it was a couple of mm out of place because of the the shiftbrod was moving left to right and that allowed the rod 2 rub against the clutch basket.

So that enabled the spring to just to loaded with a friend called Sid he had the same problems Bashed against clutch basket and spring broke off pic 4.

Pic 5 brand spring n 2nd hand shift rod.

All pics are from the right side behind clutch basket.
Did this fix yours. Mines doing the same thing 1st and neutral is all I got for gears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts