Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I am planning on running this car that is local to me, its a 99 mustang cobra, built 03 cobra motor, 76+mm turbo, auto, solid rear, etc. He said he pulled a 05 zx10 the other night, and wants to run me, he said the other was stock geared. Well it will be from 40-50 mph roll ons to about 150mph. He said he beat the other zx10 on 19lbs, and plans to run me on 21 and if i win he can run 27lbs. The car should make 800+hp easily. I have a few different gear ratios i can run and was trying to see what everyone thought would be the best for this race.

16/44 = 163-164mph top speed
16/40 = 174ish top speed
17/44= 168ish top speed

I know the 16/44 is the fastest set up for me at the 1/4th mile strip but thats from a dead stop, i am thinking the 16/40 or 17/44 would do the best as i can stay in the powerband longer in the runs and should have more top end, but just wanted to get some opinions. I know my zx9r was great with 16/41 gearing from rolls but when i went to 16/45 it was a turd from rolls cus i was shifting to much and not in powerband long enough.

This is a race between a 2011 gsxr 750 with bolt ons/gearing and a 530rwhp cobra from a 50 roll, me giving them the jump then coming around them with 16/40 gearing the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQWFhPenYVc&feature=youtu.be

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
If u already know what speed to stop at I'd stay with ur drag gearing. -2+2 pegs 161 so ull have enough to finish the race and still have the torque to get there quicker. If ur better from a dig challenge him to a dig.

U wanna end it as quickly as possible and ull do it with the setup u have now. Anything less and ur just giving it to him

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya but from what i have learned from roll racing is to much gearing can hurt you from roll races, thats like taking a car with 456 gears vs a car with 373s and racing, dig racing teh 456 car is gonna fly off the line but it loses all its power up top cus of the gear ratio, from a roll the 373 car will own it all day.. but not enough gear can hurt ya too..

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Deflate ur tire some to help u hook. Unless he's running drag radials I'd imagine he's gonna spin too. Whoever hooks first I guess

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He wants a roll race since he will spin on street from a stop. . I have no traction problems with my tire at 40psi.. ya he is running drag radials but the car makes 800+hp its doesn't matter the tire on the street it will spin.. he ran the same 1/8th mile as me at the track but he had a better 60ft. [email protected]

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
ya but from what i have learned from roll racing is to much gearing can hurt you from roll races, thats like taking a car with 456 gears vs a car with 373s and racing, dig racing teh 456 car is gonna fly off the line but it loses all its power up top cus of the gear ratio, from a roll the 373 car will own it all day.. but not enough gear can hurt ya too..
:+1: tall gear puts mph down. If you can keep the front wheel down run stock gear in first from the roll. You want tall gearing so you don't waste so much time shifting. If anything just -1 front and let her eat!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
241 Posts
Haha I thougt this was at a drag strip............I'm thinking what strip lets bikes and cars run together? Norwalk, OH used to till a car crossed over and smashed into the bike. I don't know enough about gearing but giver Hell bro!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hell yeah man! I'm anxious to see what happens. If he is makin over 800 it's gonna be close.

Hell yeah!!! Post a vid for sure! It looked like the 750 gsxr handle that pony? Your on a 1000 against 300 more horses????? I think you would be straight! If it was a Camaro .... I say you didn't have a chance! J/K :crackup:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Hell yeah!!! Post a vid for sure! It looked like the 750 gsxr handle that pony? Your on a 1000 against 300 more horses????? I think you would be straight! If it was a Camaro .... I say you didn't have a chance! J/K :crackup:
I got walked at the track by my buddy in a 800 horse hatchback years ago. I was swb and went a [email protected] an he went a [email protected] Granted that car only weighed 2200lbs but still. You have a 800+ car that can hook at a roll, you better be on your game because if you aren't he'll break your heart. :lol:

·
Registered
475 Posts
hate to say it bro but its going to be curtains for you. I had a 04 cobra w/ twim 61's and cutsom turbo cams, solid rear w 355s,kmember,tublar arms.the car weighed 3410 w/ out me in it and 1/8 tank of fuel. On stock cams it dynoed 746 on a pump gas tune.I raced my boy on my bike (gen 1 ace performance stage 1++) who weighs 140 from a 70 mph roll and rolled past him at 110 and stretched him by 6-8 cars by the time i shut down at 160.This was with the cams btw soo id say its safe to say 800+. Im a die hard zx-10 fan but when dealing with crazy hp cars starting at a highway speed....well physics wins...it is what it is. Keep us posted on the results. be safe:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Best of luck my friend!!! Better bring your A+++ game...and -1+1 or -1+2...get yourself an airshifter and do it quick lol...

Ive got a very close friend who has a terminator thats 900+whp....he destroys bikes like its going out of style...

Oh yeah...GoPro, or it didnt happen lol...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
he said he has a go pro, i will post the video of the 05 he raced already and beat, it had a 165lb rider, but from the looks of the video i think he started in 2nd because the front didnt even attempt to lift at stock height and swb, all i know is when i am swb and and stock height, or even lowered 1st gear would fly up from a 50 roll, and if i wanted 2nd and 3rd as long as i tried for it to, so i will be running in prime powerband of 1st gear from that roll as i dont have any probs with it lifting being stretched a lil, we are supposed to run this weekend, trying to get him out sooner. If i lose, i will still be very proud as i have yet to ever lose to a car besides at the track, ran a foxbody that ran 8.8 at 155 to my 9.60 at 148

https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&gl=US&client=mv-google&feature=plcp&v=3_WQ8rhZRmk&nomobile=1

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
This isnt me calling dude on the 10R a squid, Im just curious as to why like every video with a bike in it, the rider doesnt ever have gloves? (Street, not strip or track)

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
This isnt me calling dude on the 10R a squid, Im just curious as to why like every video with a bike in it, the rider doesnt ever have gloves? (Street, not strip or track)
Yeah I almost said something about that and the fact that it REALLY looked like he didn't know what he was doin but I kept my mouth shut... :lol:

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Yeah I almost said something about that and the fact that it REALLY looked like he didn't know what he was doin but I kept my mouth shut... :lol:

Like I said, I wasnt saying that the guy was a squid or that the guy couldnt ride or anything. Just that noone wears gloves in these race videos.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts