Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
welds like he has palsy
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I had Eset antivirus on my laptop, but was unable to uptdate it wanting to get something else. The laptop is a Compaq and is a few years old. It wasn't a high end version when I bought it, so it didn't come with a boatload of memory. I had Microsoft Security Essentials on it, but the computer bogs down and runs like shit. I might as well have a virus.

Anyone know of some good free antivirus software that won't eat up my memory? It doesn't have to be the best stuff in the world. Just something that will keep all the little gremlins off my computer and something I can update regularly without any hitches and won't slow my shitty laptop down.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
he's already stated he cant use that b/c of system resources
So sorry, totally skimmed right past that part. It would help if we knew the specifications on the laptop, more specifically, the amount of memory and the operating system. MSSE is generally regarded as being one of the least resource intensive products out there. I have noticed that with MSSE it does work the processor here and there for a day or so after you install it until it scans everything. Don't know if this is an option, but if you just use the laptop for web surfing you could install linux on it. That would reduce your vulnerability to many of the things floating around out there.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If u aren't running linux, I ran AVG and Web of trust on firefox browser. Never had any virus issues for the three years I ran them on my older athlon 64 single core with only 512mb ram. They're not that resource hungry. I know it's mainstream, but it's better than nothing, and the updates come pretty often.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Right now I'm using ClamWin for the kind of situation you describe. All the mainstream stuff is way too bloated and isn't even effective half the time. I run a lot of virtual machines on so-so hardware and don't want to put money into memory or CPU upgrades just so I can run mainstream AV programs. On my main Windows desktop I use the Symantec Corp stuff (that absolutely blows), but on my personal laptop with Win 7 I'm using Clamwin and it seems to be doing well so far. The only thing is the default settings don't do a whole lot other than update regularly...no scheduled scans, no memory scanning, etc. My other stuff is Mac or Linux, so I don't have this problem. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
:+1:

AVG totally sucks. It's almost like a virus in itself.

I like MSE. It isn't a recourse hog, doesn't run periodic scans constantly in the background, and it has good protection.
Ok, so I'm curious. Why is it like a virus? Do you have any facts or bad experiences? Did you bother to set it up? The software runs like a charm for me. I have it running on like every machine I have contact with.

I'm definitely not an antivirus expert, but i'm not ignorant either and have used a bunch of them.

Besides the decent virus protection, I have it set to run at the end of the day, and to shut down my system after it's done, so I don't have to baby sit it. The updates are often, and it's free. I'm sure it's not the best, but I really doubt any of the free ones are as good as say for example the Enterprise class Symantec AV.

If I ever do get infected while running AVG, I'll try a different software. Actually, I guess I should just give the other ones a shot just for S&G.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ok, so I'm curious. Why is it like a virus? Do you have any facts or bad experiences? Did you bother to set it up? The software runs like a charm for me. I have it running on like every machine I have contact with.

I'm definitely not an antivirus expert, but i'm not ignorant either and have used a bunch of them.

Besides the decent virus protection, I have it set to run at the end of the day, and to shut down my system after it's done, so I don't have to baby sit it. The updates are often, and it's free. I'm sure it's not the best, but I really doubt any of the free ones are as good as say for example the Enterprise class Symantec AV.

If I ever do get infected while running AVG, I'll try a different software. Actually, I guess I should just give the other ones a shot just for S&G.
i dont think he was speaking literally. its something that techie people say when they dislike a piece of software. i tend to agree with him, as i think AVG is worthless & would never run it on a computer of mine. but then again i dont have to run any a/v system resource wasting pos software :D linux ftw!

·
Registered
478 Posts

I haven't used it in years but tye older free versions were terrible. Constantly running background scans, couldn't remove many viruses, and the GUI wasnt something I cared for either.

I say it is like a virus because of the relentless background stuff it would do. Tell it to cancel a scan and for some reason it keeps going.

Overall I don't think it is anywhere near even being competitive with MSE.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts