Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll I'm having a problem with the HID's on my 2011....seems this bike is very picky about the headlights, if you have the stock bulbs in and tap the start switch the headlight relay is hit on and turns the headlights on... now with HID's in place it doesn't work. I dont know if the HID's are pulling more or less voltage or what not but with the HID's in it wont let the relay turn on the HID's.

Now the one thing I have tried was actually to keep one OEM bulb plugged in and the HID on the other bulb circuit.... for some reason this will let the HID turn on.....

So I'm sorta stumped!

I know I could wire in a relay type system but I dont wanna complicate the wiring up front to much ya know....

Any idea's???

·
Registered
742 Posts
Garth, seems by your description of the problem that the headlight relay circuit is load sensitive.
Otherwise, the standard hids load is 35W, and the stock headlight bulbs ar 50W, so you decrease load - and power comsumption - by installing hids.

If you have the user manual, it usually has the electrical circuit next to the back cover.
If you can scan and post it we could figure out if so feature you're describing is an electrical issue or it's intended to behave like that.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ I'm with you bud, I think your right, maybe I will try to wire both of them onto one circuit, I normally ride with brights on anyways so maybe I'll do that and try to see if that works...

yes you are correct 35watts normally instead of 50 so zxmiami its the opposite way... but going with a relay is another easy solution.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I went out in the garage and I fed both HID's off the same circuit... the low beam and I tapped the started and sure enough the headlights both came on...

After this weekend I'll install them, have to keep the weight off it for the time being lol...

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Depending on the brand the hid ballast usually has less of a drag on start up that normal bulbs and once started it then drops to a lower amp draw...I talked to leif at ddm tuneing a long time ago and thats what he told me..Now maybe with both hid set to come on at start up is whats doin it...
The again as another poster said that your system is load sentitive...NOT cause its to much but maybe cause its not enough..I know my rig is that way,the trucks ecu sees the lower draw on the system as a fault issue and dosent allow it to work..

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I think your right, I think its not sensing a big enough load to let the switch turn on, its not a separate relay I could try swapping out either, its in the solid relay box so I will either have to wire in a separate relay or I will have to run both high and low beams on the high or low beam circuit but I would be sucking up 70 watts instead of normally 55 watts..... I've seen people step up the bulbs to 75 watts anyways on stock wiring so I think I may run it like this.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey Garth, can I get a sanity check, I'm working on theories right now. I'm ordering the HID kit on Monday, but I still don't have the bike yet.
What I want the end result to be: smoked headlights with a switch so during the day you can't see the light shining through the smoked finish. But still be able to turn the lights on after dark.
My theory: (probably full of holes). Find the power wire to the low beam headlights. Install a switch somewhere with easy access. Wire both hid low beams to that power source after the switch. Creating the ability to have the low beams on or off even when the handlebar switch is set to low beam. Then wire both HID high beam settings to the power running to the normal highbeams. That way should the need arise I can flash the high beams with out worrying about the second switch during the day.

So my questions are:
Does this make sense?
Do you think it will work?
And lastly, any idea where I could get smoked headlights covers? I was just planning on getting a second set of stock light casings and taking it to the place that does all the body work on my car and see if they can smoke them

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Nope...Im thinkin that its load sentitive,be it to much or not enough..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well the way I was thinking, if people have put 75w lights on the stock wiring, then two hids on each circuit taking 70w, then it will still work, I'll fiddle around and see how it goes when I get around to it lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Garth, can I get a sanity check, I'm working on theories right now. I'm ordering the HID kit on Monday, but I still don't have the bike yet.
What I want the end result to be: smoked headlights with a switch so during the day you can't see the light shining through the smoked finish. But still be able to turn the lights on after dark.
My theory: (probably full of holes). Find the power wire to the low beam headlights. Install a switch somewhere with easy access. Wire both hid low beams to that power source after the switch. Creating the ability to have the low beams on or off even when the handlebar switch is set to low beam. Then wire both HID high beam settings to the power running to the normal highbeams. That way should the need arise I can flash the high beams with out worrying about the second switch during the day.

So my questions are:
Does this make sense?
And lastly, any idea where I could get smoked headlights covers? I was just planning on getting a second set of stock light casings and taking it to the place that does all the body work on my car and see if they can smoke them
I dont know if I am reading this right...Are you saying during the day you want to turn your headlights off so the only thing people see is your smoked headlight lenses and than at night is when you want to be able to turn your headlights on???

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep. Ive seen cars with smoked lenses during the day with their lights on and it makes the smoked lenses pointless imo lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
ahhhhhh....You do know not having any lights on while riding a motorcycle is dangerous right???? Thats why alot of us ride around with the high beam on too....And you might want to check your state law....Most states (if not all) require you to have a headlight on even during the day.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So my questions are:
Does this make sense?
I think I get what your saying, 2 things you can either wire it so that both lights left and right are on one circuit so low beams will have both lights on and then high beams they both will shut off or vice versa. Or you can wire a secondary switch that will cut the circuit completely as well. There a bunch of different wiring options.

In my opinion I wouldnt worry about while your driving anyways, smoked len's are more of a parking lot mod anyways ya know, while your driving people arent going to be scoping out the headlights that much to notice it. Its much more important to ride around with high beams on.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok thanks guys! I'll probably do that, not worry about the switch or anything, safety first! I'm still just toying with the idea and all lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts