Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm converting my track bike back into a road bike. The bike is almost back together, but I can't get the headlights to come on. Using a circuit tester, I've traced the problem down to the relay box.

Here's what I know so far:

The headlight power wire going from the fuse box into the relay (grey) has power.
The low-beam headlight power wire going from the relay box to the dimmer/bulb (blue/yellow) does not have power.

I'm guessing the problem is a bad relay box? That sounds pretty odd to me - why would it have suddenly stopped working? Could the fact that I haven't put on the radiator, front and rear brake M/Cs, or tail lights have anything to do with it? Please help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
need to know how many pins on the relay and where the colors are at according to those pins. sounds to me like you have 1 of 2 things going on. power is going into relay but is it the resistor side or switch side? if its switch side and your resistor side is dead then power wont make it through the relay to the lights. if your have power to the resistor side you should hear the relay click with the is first flipped on after the starter switch is hit. if it does not check your grounds. if the grounds are good you might have a bad relay. if you dont want to buy a relay i can walk you through how to test it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the bike started? The headlights dont come on until the motor is running.
well, turns out this was the issue. man, i feel like an idiot. It's been a long time since i've had lights on the 10. I thought i remembered the headlights coming on when the key was turned - even checked it on my friend's Valkerie. Apparently i was remembering the running lights. regardless, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
well, turns out this was the issue. man, i feel like an idiot. It's been a long time since i've had lights on the 10. I thought i remembered the headlights coming on when the key was turned - even checked it on my friend's Valkerie. Apparently i was remembering the running lights. regardless, thanks for the help.
Ha!HA!at least its fixed

·
Registered
161 Posts
need to know how many pins on the relay and where the colors are at according to those pins. sounds to me like you have 1 of 2 things going on. power is going into relay but is it the resistor side or switch side? if its switch side and your resistor side is dead then power wont make it through the relay to the lights. if your have power to the resistor side you should hear the relay click with the is first flipped on after the starter switch is hit. if it does not check your grounds. if the grounds are good you might have a bad relay. if you dont want to buy a relay i can walk you through how to test it.
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead but how do I test it and can I by pass it? Just replaced it and it quit again. I am thinking there should be a way to bypass it at the relay and install a 12v relay on the high beam and one on the low beam tied straight to the battery with the factory light plugs to trigger the new relays. Yes I know the high low will be powered as soon as the key is on. But I could hide a switch for those times I may need the lights off. For the most part I could leave it alone though. Anyone done this? When I was younger I could do it with no problem. Now I need a refresher course on relay wiring. Thanks for any help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts