Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I almost wadded my 10 at the track last night and I am trying to figure out if it is something that I may have done wrong or could it be the bike.

The bike: '05 bone stock except steering damper. Suspension is as from factory.

me: 160 lbs and have dragged plenty before but not pro by any means.

the run: Had decent launch and all was going as normal. Hit 3rd at WOT, and at some point in 3rd at 100, front end starts shaking violently. I back off throttle and try to allow the bike to settle down at bit. Bike veers to outside retaining wall and then comes back toward the center of the track. It finally comes out of it in the opponents lane (who was waaaaay down track by this point). At the end of the track, a track worker checks over the bike to see what the deal was. No leaks or anything obvious. Couple tidbits. I did not land the front wheel hard enough (I don't think) to upset the front end and at the end of the run, my brake lever came to the bar with ZERO affect (i.e. no brakes). I have a couple of theories that I am keeping to myself to see what others think. I am honest enough to at least THINK it might have been something I did wrong so bring on any comments. I appreciate the help.

Jeff

·
Registered
848 Posts
Damper may need more fluid? Front wheel may be bent? Forks maybe bent? Front tire worn or has tits? Maybe you just leaned a lil too hard and high speed?
I really feel like it has something to do with your damper. What kind of damper is it?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
you may have been pushing on either one of the clipons more than the other when you landed or while on the power. That would give you the head shake. Other than that you vearing towards the wall then into the other lane was on you most likely. Not trying to be a dick but the bike usualy only does what you tell it to. However if something is wrong with the bike than that's another story. Try turning your damper up a few notches. What kind is it. Also lower your bike or strap it if your going to drag race it. It will make a difference with the head shake issue and with your time.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the input. Damper is a Hyperpro (and I will crank it up). I am not ruling ME out as a factor in anyway so any "flaming" will not be overblown. I just want to know WHAT to look at (most) to keep it from happening again. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have a hyperpro also . I turn it up to like 10-16 when runing on the strip. Don't feel bad if it's you cause I do it all the time. Lots of riders do.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
you may have been pushing on either one of the clipons more than the other when you landed or while on the power. That would give you the head shake. Other than that you vearing towards the wall then into the other lane was on you most likely. Not trying to be a dick but the bike usualy only does what you tell it to. However if something is wrong with the bike than that's another story. Try turning your damper up a few notches. What kind is it. Also lower your bike or strap it if your going to drag race it. It will make a difference with the head shake issue and with your time.
:+1:
I've had this happen a few times about 330FT out and it's because the tire is in the air and turned a little bit when I set it down. I usually just drive through it though. :helmet:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
its called a harmonic resonence. the front wheel is skiming the surface and at about 100mph the rear expands. thus pushing the front down a tad. Boom harmonic resonence! front tire gone wild! high speeds require tight dampner.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
wheel(s) could be out of balance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
:+1:
I've had this happen a few times about 330FT out and it's because the tire is in the air and turned a little bit when I set it down. I usually just drive through it though. :helmet:
Ha! Drive through it :badteeth: :badteeth:
Well hell thats easy enough! :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :lol: JK

:+1: for a front end strap. Pretty much a must for better ET's, and they really seem to settle the front end down and act as a damper. :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha!Drive through it :badteeth: :badteeth:
Well hell thats easy enough! :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :lol: JK

:+1: for a front end strap. Pretty much a must for better ET's, and they really seem to settle the front end down and act as a damper. :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1
Yeah on the driving through part...I have had tankslappers before at 30-40 mph and will just drop a gear or two and and handfull of throttle to lighten the front. THIS was a first at WOT pinned on the redline in third. Ummmm???? I felt my only option was to back out of it and (try to) let it settle down.

Also...why no brakes at the end of the run? Will a violent tankslapper upset the fluid in the master cylinder THAT much to fade the brakes?

For the record....next time out straps are on.

Thanks again guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Yeah on the driving through part...I have had tankslappers before at 30-40 mph and will just drop a gear or two and and handfull of throttle to lighten the front. THIS was a first at WOT pinned on the redline in third. Ummmm???? I felt my only option was to back out of it and (try to) let it settle down.

Also...why no brakes at the end of the run? Will a violent tankslapper upset the fluid in the master cylinder THAT much to fade the brakes?

For the record....next time out straps are on.

Thanks again guys.:thumbsup:
You had no brakes, because the wheel went back and forth pretty violently and spread the brake pads.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I'm hesitant to crank up my damper on the track for the sole reason that if it were cranked up I would have been in the wall due to the inability to steer in the correct direction (away from the wall) fast enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts