Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nearly 17k miles on my 2004 Zx10 now and it is time for a new chain and sprockets. I have heard its best to replace both sprockets and chain all at the same time. What is the best bang for the buck chain and sprocket combo. I have a -2 down front sprocket and a stock rear, I think I like this gearing. What brand you guys use Vortex? what kinda chain DNd? Is o-ring chain better or xring? :dontknow:520 kit or 530 for heavier duty use? thanks for any help and post me a link or 2 to some good sights to purchase from, I'll check w/our sponsors too!

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
dont use vortex all I'm going to say, go with something steel. hit up 58 cycle they have good prices

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dont use vortex all I'm going to say, go with something steel. hit up 58 cycle they have good prices
58 cycle? whats the web site? thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock sprockets are 17tooth front and 39 tooth rear for an '04 ZX10 right?
I thinkn I might change from the -2 front and stock rear to a -1 front which would be a 16t and a +3 rear or a 42t right?:idea: Can you get aftermarket 530 kits they seem to be hard to find, should I just go with a 525, also a lightweight steel sprocket in rear would be more durable right?

·
Registered
238 Posts
In my humble opinion.... Yes, you should ideally change sprockets and chain as a set. For your new sprockets, I would recommend -1 front and +2 rear; this will give you a very similar gearing to what you have. I prefer not to decrease the front sprocket more than one tooth due to added stress on the chain (having to make a tighter turn around smaller circle). I personally use EK chains due to their great combination of quality and low price; and yes, get the x-ring- for the street it does the best job of staying lubricated for ling life. As far as chain pitch- unless it is a track bike, I would recommend staying with 525 chain to maintain good chain life as the weight savings is really not that significant going to 520. For sprockets, I have had the best life out of Renthal sprockets; they last noticeably longer than Vortex. I personally prefer to use a steel rear, again due to life-span (if not a track/race bike). You can purchase Sunstar (makers of your OEM sprocket) steel rear sprockets in the +2 size I mentioned earlier. This setup will last you another wonderful 15K miles or so and have the gearing you like. OR.... If you have deep pockets, you can forget all I have said and go 520 aluminum (rear ) sprocket and change that shit twice as often. That's my take. Enjoy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input ib, I am just looking for everyones opinions on what will last the longest and is the most durable as I drag race once and a while but mostly street ride and need something to last and be the gearing I am used to. it is hard to find steel rear sprockets too it seems. I think I will go with a 16t front and a 42t rear.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Thanks for your input ib, I am just looking for everyones opinions on what will last the longest and is the most durable as I drag race once and a while but mostly street ride and need something to last and be the gearing I am used to. it is hard to find steel rear sprockets too it seems. I think I will go with a 16t front and a 42t rear.
Seeing as you do some drag racing, keep in mind that a -1/+3 combo will be
a very short wheelbase compared to the -2/-1 combo.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seeing as you do some drag racing, keep in mind that a -1/+3 combo will be
a very short wheelbase compared to the -2/-1 combo.
right now I have a -2 front and the stock 39 tooth rear, 39 is stock in rear right? and 15 tooth would be -2?

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I would use a Stealth sprocket combo. They are steel ringed sprockets with an aluminum center. I use one and love it. Aluminum sprockets wear too much for my tastes, and you'll be changing them more often. Chains are a toss up, I currently use a RK XW ring chain with mine, but DID and others make good chains too.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I'm running right now 15, 41 which is -2, stock and with your bike regardless I know its a first gen but how bad is your top end cut down by your gearing? I have a speedohealer and by bike geared down two teeth in the front my bike went from 180+ to now just 169mph, a lot of top end dropped out of my bike but I know I really dropped 5+ teeth all togethsr, jw on someones feed back with the same mod?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have heard Vortex had some problems with their rear aluminum sprockets also... Im running Driven sprockets with an RK GXW 520 set. Thousands of miles, still looks new besides some very minor surface corrosion on some of the plates. I get caught in the rain from time to time so thats life, I am pleased with the quality thus far.

I would use a Stealth sprocket combo. They are steel ringed sprockets with an aluminum center. I use one and love it. Aluminum sprockets wear too much for my tastes, and you'll be changing them more often. Chains are a toss up, I currently use a RK XW ring chain with mine, but DID and others make good chains too.
Motomummy actually suggested running an aluminum rear, his logic made sense to me. He suggested that the rear sprocket will be the weak "link" in the driveset. When it starts to wear its time to change the entire set. This is the first 520 driveset I have ever tried and thus far (2nd year and over 10K miles) its been rock solid. Only had to adjust the tension one time, after the initial 100 miles or so.

Even though I am very pleased with my driven set, I am leaning towards the Stealth rear next time. They are awesome looking and obviously strong. I am curious how the riveted joint will endure as I see solid rivets wear in aluminum aircraft that are under heavy varying loads...

I'm running right now 15, 41 which is -2, stock and with your bike regardless I know its a first gen but how bad is your top end cut down by your gearing? I have a speedohealer and by bike geared down two teeth in the front my bike went from 180+ to now just 169mph, a lot of top end dropped out of my bike but I know I really dropped 5+ teeth all togethsr, jw on someones feed back with the same mod?
Im with you on this one, I'll gladly trade some top end for the increase down low. Its more street friendly IMO. Top end runs to 170+ are fun, but I'd prefer the umph down lower. Im running -1 +2 right now and am seriously considering spending 30 bucks on a -2 just to throw on and play with. -2 +2, fun fun...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just bought front and rear Supersprox. They come with life time gaurantee on sprockets so you never have to buy another sprocket, it breaks they send you a new one!!! Little expensive but I figure that if I don't like my conversion I can always change it for free...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I love these types of discussions. I have a -1 up front, OEM rear on my '08. One of the things that keeps me from going an additional +2 in the rear would be the slightly shortened wheelbase (.5-.7") and slightly lower gearing even that could make my bike unusable at full throttle in 2nd gear. Right now the front end likes to come up at full throttle while holding the throttle full open at the top of 2nd gear. But, I do like wheelies too...hmmm. We'll see. Still got less than 500 miles on the bike, so no hurry to rush a decision for me on this one. I rec a 525 steel setup for street.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I love these types of discussions. I have a -1 up front, OEM rear on my '08. One of the things that keeps me from going an additional +2 in the rear would be the slightly shortened wheelbase (.5-.7") and slightly lower gearing even that could make my bike unusable at full throttle in 2nd gear. Right now the front end likes to come up at full throttle while holding the throttle full open at the top of 2nd gear. But, I do like wheelies too...hmmm. We'll see. Still got less than 500 miles on the bike, so no hurry to rush a decision for me on this one. I rec a 525 steel setup for street.
+1, they are easy enough to change, no reason to be locked in with one particular final drive ratio. Im buying my 3rd different front sprocket, its nice to be able to change it back and forth. Keeping the settings for your speedo healer will save time when you do change it up.

I am looking forward to riding with a -2 +2, there are a couple members on my "other" forum that swear by it. If you have the throttle control and self control that is...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
641 Posts
+1, they are easy enough to change, no reason to be locked in with one particular final drive ratio. Im buying my 3rd different front sprocket, its nice to be able to change it back and forth. Keeping the settings for your speedo healer will save time when you do change it up.

I am looking forward to riding with a -2 +2, there are a couple members on my "other" forum that swear by it. If you have the throttle control and self control that is...:mrgreen:
Yeah, my neighbor ran a -2 +3 setip on his '06 Zx-10r. So, it can be done. While not something I ultimately would want to stick with...it could be fun to mess around with for a while. Must be a riot. Maybe I should grab a 15t frt as well. For now, I shipped my steering damper off to Dan Kyle yesterday after another unacceptable violent headshake due to an underdamped oem Ohlins stabilizer. Curses to Kawi for thinking I can't handle a properly 'ranged' damper.

·
Registered
531 Posts
going to 520 -1/+2 this Saturday then gonna take it out sunday and see the difference...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts